Forums » The Monk

Monk - 'Burning Questions' (Joppa)

• 1406 posts
    December 19, 2019 3:14 PM PST

Iksar said:

Off-tanking as I understand it here means they will be able to pick up a mob if s**t hits the fan and the tank goes down or for a limited time should a mez break or unexpected add show up until it gets mez'd. They are a bit of a safety net but not intended to be able to stand toe to toe with a mob for longer than maybe 20 seconds, after which their defensive cooldowns will likely be blown and they will fold like any other DPS would. 

And we're calling that a group role?  ...and puller isn't a role? ...

In my mind there is more involved in offtanking than that.  VR listed it as a class role not a just a "oh $***" button for when the tank goes down and there are no other tanks to step in.  

This post was edited by philo at December 19, 2019 3:22 PM PST
    • 372 posts
    December 19, 2019 8:04 PM PST

This is why I want to be able to lock my own threads. RiP

• 1406 posts
    December 19, 2019 9:24 PM PST

Fragile said:

This is why I want to be able to lock my own threads. RiP

Your thread from december 7th would be dead if we didnt further the conversation.  I don't know that whining helps?

• 11 posts
    December 20, 2019 12:29 AM PST
    Fragile is totally right, it’s just better to close the thread now.
    • 1705 posts
    December 23, 2019 2:16 PM PST

philo said:

Keno Monster said:

philo said:

A monk having taunt skills is nice for a last ditch effort if the tank goes down I guess.  That is an extreme circumstance and not a standard group role.  

Then why is their group role literally defined as off-tank? 

Exactly.  Why is it?  If everyone would rather have one of the other 3 tanking classes when an offtank is needed why would VR name monk as the only class listed as "offtank"?  

The answer was already mentioned above.  The monk's role will likely be puller more often than actually off tanking.

The healing abilities are standard monk flavor.  I think we all expect them to be able to pop a discipline and tank for a few seconds.  To say that their 2 primary roles in groups will be dps and offtanking seems very unlikely to actually play out that way.  It seems forced.  

Edit:   From all the monk streams, everything plays out similar to other monks in other games.  I haven't seen anything that shows that these monks are going to be able to offtank any better than monks in any other game.  Maybe I will be surprised and monks will be first choice as offtanks against difficult mobs?  I doubt it.

You're just making things up to fit your opinion. The EQ monk was a fantastic off tank in all but the hardest raid scenarios. Hell, even in classic EQ a monk could tank vox and nagafen if they had enough healing. This narravie that it doesn't make sense, doesn't make sense, considering the long history of the class not just in EQ but in other games for decades as a stout defensive front line fighter. 

• 13 posts
    January 1, 2020 8:18 AM PST

Hello Once again.

Yes im quite sure monk played erm well, will be, a huge asset. \\\\as is we can pull scout ahead split mobs. And Lead a raid to boot oh did i mention dps and off tanking.

I Was used to Being your, ten ton hammer Monk Guy, Tolo. Thinking we kinda did well, Server 1st, world 1st stuff isnt spoon fed, aside ms rug pulling us all, etc. we, None the less 6 good Monks in a group would be awsome, but just one good one works too. so your like a bat man with a huge range of skills, Works well on any raid situation too, pure dps grps can work , as can anything you could imagine realy, Pure Monk Guild, hmm.

So Brads Games, er well, every 3d mmorpg is what brad invisioned, So every mmo you ever played right now has an essence of Brads vision... of everquest, vanguard, swg. He lead, and others followed. Nuff Said...

If you require assistance on your journey, i have form old friend

I can see Brad had the skilled telepath skills too... kinda cool... I felt Him before he arrives and know where being watched too..dont ask me how tha works., how poetic and sweet er met him in Vanguard Testings too. Love to you

You will be sorley Missed by all But Never, Never forgotten

Bless all

Tolo

This post was edited by Tolo at January 1, 2020 9:03 AM PST