Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Would You Rather - Suffer from encumbrance or...

• 9115 posts
    December 5, 2019 4:03 AM PST

Would You Rather - Suffer from encumbrance and have to walk a long way to bank/sell or dump a bunch of your stuff to move quickly but lose profit - the same dangers apply along your journey no matter which method you choose! #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 520 posts
    December 5, 2019 4:22 AM PST

That's a hard one for me - I never liked limited bag space and being weighted down in games as I'm a hoarder while gaming (which is weird becouse I'm not like that in RL - I'd rather throw stuff out that I don't need/use anymore). I guess it all comes down to a distance and threats on the way - if it's not terribly long and I'd be able to avoid fights on the way, then I'll take all I can carry. If on the other hand I'd loose more time on a traveling to closest bank/shop while encumbered than I'd use to travel to the shop and back and do some more killing/looting then what would be the point. And that would be my m.o. while soloing. If I'm in a group then I take as much as the rest of the crew - not to slow down anyone. 

• 624 posts
    December 5, 2019 4:26 AM PST

Suffer from encumbrance for three reasons:

1) weight matters (yes, even coins!) adds to player choices mattering. If I choose to overload, I should slow down / stop

2) dangers can be avoided by a smart player; if random bad luck hits - then dump and go

3) bard! increase strength & speed, then literally laugh all the way to the bank

• 87 posts
    December 5, 2019 4:28 AM PST

GREED is the way to go even when going att a snail pace !!

beside i am not in a hurry to "max level anyway" 

• 1315 posts
    December 5, 2019 4:29 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Would You Rather - Suffer from encumbrance and have to walk a long way to bank/sell or dump a bunch of your stuff to move quickly but lose profit - the same dangers apply along your journey no matter which method you choose! #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

I actually think the underlined bit is far more interesting than the first half.  The first half is a simple equation balancing the value of the items you would drop vs the extra time it takes to return to a place to unload your cargo when encumbered.

What is much more interesting is the concept of vulnerability when encumbered.  Combat penalties for encumbrance, dispositions that specifically target encumbered players first, and trap bandit mobs that only spawn if an encumbered player or vehicle pass through their area of interest are all ways to make encumbrance a real game condition.

If encumbrance was a real consequence then loot and harvested materials could be limited by weight.  The drops could be fairly plentiful but the ability to take it back to town could be very limited.  Players could deliberately act as traders who go out to leveling zones to trade cash for heavy objects at a profit that they take back to town.  Driving and protecting slow moving wagons capable of moving greater weights could be another focus of play especially if there were localized banks and no way to ship objects from one warehouse to another.

• 1281 posts
    December 5, 2019 4:57 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Encumbrance.  Weight and decisions matter.  However, I would like the option of being able to dump closer if I choose to in order to move faster.

• 71 posts
    December 5, 2019 5:21 AM PST

I'd rather suffer from Encumbrance over dropping anything because as years of playing MMOs and even D&D has taught me, everything is tradeable. Yes, my inventory might get filled with Old Boots and Broken Teeth most of the time but by god that is my junk and i'd rather fight off countless mobs over trashing any of it just to get that sweet, sweet trade value. 

This post was edited by znushu at December 5, 2019 5:22 AM PST
    • 1019 posts
    December 5, 2019 5:23 AM PST

Kilsin said:Would You Rather - Suffer from encumbrance and have to walk a long way to bank/sell or dump a bunch of your stuff to move quickly but lose profit - the same dangers apply along your journey no matter which method you choose! #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Invnetory management is such an integral part of any game that it is something I truely hope matters in this game.

When I started WoW: Classic everyone was "sent mats to the crafters so we can get bags.  It mattered.

When I started fresh on EQ2 Kaladim I desperatly tried to do crafting (I'm not a crafter) just so I could make a couple bags.  

Inventory management matters and adds to the game.

But to answer the question, I will slowly trudge back to town and sell before I start deleting stuff.  I need the 1cp so I can eventually buy a bag.

• 411 posts
    December 5, 2019 5:50 AM PST

Time is money. I drop whatever has the lowest value by weight and keep fighting. Only once my bags are filled with high quality items do I return home.

One exception - if there are low level players around. In EQ I was at one point in time or another on either end of a deal to mule goods back to vendors. The low level player takes all "heavy" goods, sells them to a local vendor, then returns and the profit is split (if generous, heavily in favor of the lowbie).

• 259 posts
    December 5, 2019 6:06 AM PST

Both, depending on the items.

• 1247 posts
    December 5, 2019 6:21 AM PST

Encumbrance. Planning and strategy :)

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels #flowersofhappiness #worldsnotgames #aradune 

• 3237 posts
    December 5, 2019 6:30 AM PST

I would usually dump items based on the lowest relative value (do they stack, how much do they weigh, how much are they worth to a merchant, what is the approximate range of value to other players)  --  time is money and since Pantheon is built upon a foundation of player interdependence, I'll always be considerate of how managing my time affects others.  If my group is working together then it's highly unlikely that any of us will branch off to bank/sell.  If these options are available while we're on our way to wherever we're going then we'll make a quick pit stop.  In most cases, though, it's never worth wasting time trying to squeeze a few extra coppers out of the encumbrance / inventory management mini-game.  I'll spend all of that time focusing on progression and getting to the point where drops are worth exponentially more.

The concept of weight and inventory management is interesting but I have yet to see an early-game implementation that truly delivers what I would consider meaningful choice.  I say that because the range of viable choice is almost always the same, regardless of the race/class/game that I'm playing.  Time is money and it pays dividends to ignore the perceived benefits of trying to be "efficient" with what has always felt like a very shallow system to me.  (The only exception is purchasing/upgrading bags early and often.)  The odds of me willfully choosing to move around while encumbered, specifically in the context of trying to preserve the value of what I have in my inventory, is extremely farfetched.  I manage my inventory before I set off for an adventure.  As long as I come prepared the choice is easy.  Dump whatever is least valuable and move on with my day.

The closest thing I have seen to "meaningful choice" comes down to dropping merchant fodder in favor of hoarding countless quest items.  It's usually more of an annoyance than anything.  Most loot that has a coin value rots away on corpses while I cling to a bunch of garbage that was force-fed to me from the abominable rail monster.  The concept is sound but the implementation usually leaves a lot to be desired.  Hoping to be impressed by Pantheon!  The bar for this type of gameplay is really low so I am optimistic.

This post was edited by oneADseven at December 5, 2019 6:44 AM PST
    • 3852 posts
    December 5, 2019 7:30 AM PST

Self-evidently the answer depends on the amount of extra time traveling encumbered would take versus the value of the items. 

An hour of extra time spent to be able to sell items for coin I could earn in 5 minutes doing something else is highly unproductive.

Dumping items worth more than I could earn in 10 hours in order to save an hour would be equally unproductive.

I am a patient person - I will take the extra hour if the reward is sufficient.

• 2419 posts
    December 5, 2019 7:41 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Encumbrance.

'Danger' is irrelevant, really, in this context as you won't lose those items if you die.

• 1584 posts
    December 5, 2019 7:44 AM PST

Suffer from encumbrance, i will eventually get there either way, if i some how found myself to become overweight than i'll simply just deal with it and find ways to prevent it in the future.

• 1785 posts
    December 5, 2019 7:56 AM PST

I'll go the encumbrance route.  All else being equal, it's more shinies for me, and I don't mind taking my time to get from place to place either.

• 438 posts
    December 5, 2019 8:01 AM PST
    Encumbrance. Especially at early levels I gotta have money. Taking a little extra time to travel is a fair trade off in my opinion.
    • 79 posts
    December 5, 2019 9:20 AM PST

I never threw stuff away, even if it cost a few coppers I would drag it somewhere and sell it no matter what.

• 2138 posts
    December 5, 2019 9:49 AM PST

I would rather suffer from encumberance. Coin encumberance too- but I am not going to be cheesy and charge monks an exchange fee- I sympathise besides Im trying to make friends, friends do stuff for others.

it's a built in break/bio/drink/snack/check on pets/check on household moment, plus a minor dopamine rush like an upvote when you finally sell your stuff and bank your coin- your character is not only unencumbered, but strangely you also feel refreshed!

and I remember as a starving newbie realizing how much bronze armor sold to merchants, so I banked all my precious no weight quest items and made lots of room in my bags and went ready to load up in the warrens, only to be scared to death having to walk back! toxx was still dangerous even if I knew a somewhat safe path. Then I got smart and bound near the bank :)

This post was edited by Manouk at December 5, 2019 9:50 AM PST
    • 220 posts
    December 5, 2019 10:08 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Encumberance

.......Precious....precious...Pr..ee..ccio...uuss.s..ss

I rather walk a long way back to the bank than get gank and lose all my loot. The danger doesnt bother me because that give me that "Sense of Danger" to sneak and avoid or study Ai movements. Every new mmo i play i tend to hoard abit at the beggining but after a few month or weeks then i start selling and throw thing away.

This post was edited by AbsoluteTerror at December 5, 2019 10:18 AM PST
    • 1019 posts
    December 5, 2019 11:06 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Kilsin said:

Encumbrance.

'Danger' is irrelevant, really, in this context as you won't lose those items if you die.

Great point.  Actually, if dieing moved me closer to the selling point.  I'll use it has a means of instant travel.

• 124 posts
    December 5, 2019 11:31 AM PST

Encumbrance all the way, decisions should matter. Dragging around multiple sets of plate without becoming encumbered just doesn't feel right.

I can still remember killing gnolls that drop splitpaw armour (I think that's what it was called) with bonuses to poison resist, or something like that. The amount of times my Brother, and I, crawled back to Qeynos with backpacks full of the stuff, just to sell / bank is comical to me, even now, after so many years.

I despise hoarding in real life, but in MMOs, I just cannot leave anything behind, hehe!

• 2756 posts
    December 5, 2019 2:32 PM PST

There's a grey area with red lines both sides when it comes to bag management and sensible, immersive loot limits.

I think most people appreciate the value of not having bottomless bags, but no one wants to be having to travel, encumbered, after every couple of fights.

But, for the sake of the OP, I will say.... I would ask a friend to help me carry the loot!  (Or a stranger, and haggle a rate, or work on becoming a friend!)

#communitymatters

• 1584 posts
    December 5, 2019 2:34 PM PST

Kittik said:

Vandraad said:

Kilsin said:

Encumbrance.

Great point.  Actually, if dieing moved me closer to the selling point.  I'll use it has a means of instant travel.

Or you could die, and instead of looting your corpse you could simply just drag it, and not have to worry about the weight lol.

• 238 posts
    December 5, 2019 8:53 PM PST

It would honestly depend on what was in my bags and the potential profit we are talking about loosing. If we are talking about a bunch of junk that doesn't have high sell value/potential I would throw it to the wind. If we are talking about items that have high sell value and profit potential well then I would crawl to the nearest port of trade if it meant $$$. Levels can aways be regained items based on RNG are not as easily regained.