Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Sound of your enemy

• 1428 posts
    December 4, 2019 11:46 AM PST

Alyonyah said:

Back on topic. Im certain this game will have surround as even EQ did, but imagine the fidelity that could be experienced with todays tech? Anyone remember being totally shocked when they heard a giant walking nearby for the first time? I can remember my heart jumping out of my chest, and in hindsight those sounds sound like 8 bit video games, compared to whats out there today. We just havnt really felt like we have been in a world outside of brads games. Least thats the case for me. Every other game just feels like a game.

the are using unity!  dynamic positional sound is ez pz!

• 1479 posts
    December 4, 2019 11:52 AM PST

I loved how players hit for more than a HP threshold  had that "Urglchk" sound of beeing beaten and broken at the same time.

• 291 posts
    December 4, 2019 12:13 PM PST

stellarmind said:

Alyonyah said:

Back on topic. Im certain this game will have surround as even EQ did, but imagine the fidelity that could be experienced with todays tech? Anyone remember being totally shocked when they heard a giant walking nearby for the first time? I can remember my heart jumping out of my chest, and in hindsight those sounds sound like 8 bit video games, compared to whats out there today. We just havnt really felt like we have been in a world outside of brads games. Least thats the case for me. Every other game just feels like a game.

the are using unity!  dynamic positional sound is ez pz!

I know nothing about coding or the unity engine but this is encouraging.

• 291 posts
    December 4, 2019 12:15 PM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

I loved how players hit for more than a HP threshold  had that "Urglchk" sound of beeing beaten and broken at the same time.

Lol very true, if you were taking hits it "felt" bad. If you were dishing em out however it "felt" like you was layin it down. This is another very important aspect as well that should be noted and expanded on.

• 1428 posts
    December 4, 2019 12:31 PM PST

Alyonyah said:

I know nothing about coding or the unity engine but this is encouraging.

for example:

a giant walks in front of you from left to right, you'd hear the thudding and crunchiness moving from your left ear and tickles its way to your right.

as the giant moves off, the crunch and crispy sounds of grass fade off.  u'd still hear the thudding then maybe small little booping echos.

with unity, you can dynamically setup how sounds sound as different points in relation to the origin of the sound.

uh think of a speeding car how it sounds approaching you and sounding completely different as it move away from you?

• 291 posts
    December 4, 2019 12:41 PM PST

Doppler effect. Gotcha. Sounds cool and would certainly add realism =p!

• 1428 posts
    December 4, 2019 1:30 PM PST

Alyonyah said:

Doppler effect. Gotcha. Sounds cool and would certainly add realism =p!

yeye XD

<- simpleminded here

they could do some interesting things with the weather too like an actual physical lightning strike(in the virtual world) and have it sound different for each player depending on where they are.

it use to be very arduous in the old days to have sound as it should at different points.  something like having multiple hidden objects with different sounds for only 1 object.  basically it was a nightmare to setup.

with the power of unity they can factor in for so many different aspects that affect sound with alot more ease now.

kachow! hitting your left ear then it turns into a rreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...... because you've just lost hearing in your left ear due to being too close to the lightning then have your hearing slowly return as you're fighting a laughing skeleton sounds bleed from your right to left ear.

sounds are certainly very cool!

• 145 posts
    December 4, 2019 3:02 PM PST
    Since soneof the creatures will be from a fantasy setting they should be iconic for what they are and more realistic mobs should be believable
    • 145 posts
    December 4, 2019 3:02 PM PST
    Since some