Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Update on Crafting/Harvesting now that Corey is gone?

This topic has been closed.
    • 291 posts
    December 3, 2019 8:34 AM PST

antonius said:

Really no positive way to interpret the fact that stuff like this is never published.  Pretty significant departure. 

antonius said:

Let us hope for the best.

Pick your poison or admit that your conflicted inside against your will. I dont need your approval.

• 1785 posts
    December 3, 2019 8:37 AM PST

I mentioned a few days ago that I was working on a post to try and explain the big concerns that people have over Corey's departure and for crafting, gathering, and the economy in general.  I took those days to get feedback from many community members who don't regularly post on these forums because I wanted to check my own assumptions and because I feel that tone is important.  I wanted to make sure that I was framing both the problem and the ask correctly.

That post is up now, both on Pantheon Crafters and in the Crafting section of these forums, where I feel it rightfully belongs.

• 291 posts
    December 3, 2019 8:39 AM PST

Nephele said:

I mentioned a few days ago that I was working on a post to try and explain the big concerns that people have over Corey's departure and for crafting, gathering, and the economy in general.  I took those days to get feedback from many community members who don't regularly post on these forums because I wanted to check my own assumptions and because I feel that tone is important.  I wanted to make sure that I was framing both the problem and the ask correctly.

That post is up now, both on Pantheon Crafters and in the Crafting section of these forums, where I feel it rightfully belongs.

Once again neph. Thanks.

• 1479 posts
    December 3, 2019 8:53 AM PST

Honestly, even if it is repetitive I allways have the same stance on all those topics about VR's internal management and public communication :

Do you have the right to have questions ? Yes.

Do you have the right to get answers ? No.

Of course it remains my own opinion but judging by the very few and very same on all similar topics that breeded over years, it is only a concern for a very small minority of future players, wether they Doomsayers, naysayers or negative judgement, and it doesn't mean an answer is deserved. Not everything is our business here, whatever we pledged and for how much.

It's not forbidden to have anguish over the project, or even feeling deceived over the years as a few here have shown, but that doesn't mean personal behaviour, stance or feeling deceived does merit an answer, that would be the door open to anything from anywhere, because it's strictly a personal issue.

This is probably not what you would like to read, and remain my own opinion on the subject.

• 3237 posts
    December 3, 2019 9:47 AM PST

I'd like to share an excerpt from one of Brad's blogs:

Aradune said:

This is sort of a part two to the 'How to Respond to Skeptics' post I made over a year ago.  I just posted it on mmorpg.com in response to, let's just say a couple of posters not playing well with each other.  One was attacking the Pantheon community, saying that they were defensive, intolerant, talked down to others, exclusionary, etc.  Obviously I don't agree, although sometimes we do get too defensive and defending Pantheon actually backfires and turns someone off.  That's why I feel the issue remains important to address.  There's a lot of overlap between this post and the year+ old one, but because it's so key I decided to post anyway.

------------------------------

You know, having been deeply involved with interacting and even building EQ and VG's communities as well as some other games, I just can't agree with you totally here. Yes, there are some over-zealous fans who attack or get defensive. I've posted several times in several places as to why we need to avoid this and spread the word about the game in a positive and respectful way -- and I will ask all of you reading this to please do that.

But to judge the greater community based on a few over-zealous and rude persons I think is not a valid extrapolation. On the contrary, I think overall our community has been fantastic, positive, happy to answer questions from those who know less about the game, etc. In fact, I'm quite proud of our community. Every community is going to have some bad apples, or even people who are true fans and mean well, but just don't come across that way in their word choice or expression. But I know that can be hard when you are really passionate about something -- heck, we deal with it internally where someone might get a little to wound up and say something to the team that could have been said better and more productively. But then, because of the amazing respect we have for each other and this fantastic team culture we've built and are committed to protecting, these minor altercations are quickly fixed and addressed and we all move forward together.

I see the analogy of the dev team and the community as pretty valid. In both you have very passionate, talented, outspoken, and tenacious people. You have people who care so deeply about Pantheon that at times they can be defensive when something is said or implied. It's actually something we work on all of the time -- communication -- especially because many in the team are remote (it is easier to avoid some of this stuff if you're in the same office together, mon-fri).

You also have the same types of personalities in the community, especially those in the community that speak up and speak out. They too can get too defensive, or quick to judge, or say something that might be accurate but could have been said in a much less confrontational or negative way.

But you know what? If this wasn't happening, if there wasn't both a dev team and an awesome community so amazingly passionate and excited about Pantheon, that would actually indicate a real problem. I'd much rather people quibble with each other a bit than to be apathetic and not care what is being said or implied or wanted. It's ultimately a sign of how healthy our community is and how well the outside looking in will translate into alpha and beta testers, and then the community post-launch.

So bottom line: yes, I humbly appeal to everyone, fan and skeptic or wherever you fit in, to be respectful, to realize that these other people posting and talking about the game also feel passionately, even feel a sense of ownership. If you disagree on something, and you will, try first to make sure you understand what the person really meant (very easy to miss that in a text post). Then even if you still disagree with what they are truly saying, remember who they are and that they, like you, deserve respect. "A kind answer turns away wrath".

Let's be excellent to each other and remember that the overwhelming majority of folks on this forum are here because they believe in "The Vision" and made a personal commitment to support the team behind it.  There has been a trend for quite some time now where a forum member voices concern about something that is then met with resistance from others.  There is no need to divide the community into two sides when we are all here for the same reason.  When someone expresses a concern it shows that they actually care enough to become involved in what is going on.  We should celebrate the fact that this project has garnered such a passionate following and that players choose to remain apprised of news and detail.  Many of the folks in this community are orphaned gamers who have been chasing the type of open-world experience that no longer exists outside of the memories we cherish.  I appreciate everybody who remains engaged and would like to extend a welcoming invitation back to those who may have grown complacent.

I had a chance to speak with Joppa a few days ago and one of the things we talked about was the "forum experience" and just how much community involvement and feedback matters.  I treat this forum as a textual representation of the virtual world that Pantheon will eventually become.  There isn't a single MMORPG that delivers what this community is looking for right now and it speaks volumes to me that folks would rather spend their time thinking and talking about the potential World of Terminus than waste that time on the bastardized myriad of games that this genre has devolved into.  For those that truly care about the success of Pantheon, please know that your voices are not falling on deaf ears.  To quote Joppa from just a few days ago:  "Forum discussion is absolutely not pointless, and I personally read just about every topic thoroughly (especially those related to design) - please know and encourage others that all of the thoughts, feedback and criticisms are not only being read, but well-received and are very important to Pantheon's overall development."

VR is aware of this thread and everything it entails.  Let's give them the benefit of the doubt here and allow them an opportunity to respond to concerns from the community.  It's important to remember that some folks have been following this project much longer than others and that each and every one of us has a unique level of interest/patience/concern/optimism.  We can push through any number of hurdles without creating more for ourselves in the form of unnecessary inner conflict.  This community is more united than ever and being able to lean on each other in moments of doubt will reinforce that perception to those on the outside looking in.  We need those folks so let us give them a warm welcome befitting of a house in order.

This post was edited by oneADseven at December 3, 2019 9:47 AM PST
    • 291 posts
    December 3, 2019 10:05 AM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

Honestly, even if it is repetitive I allways have the same stance on all those topics about VR's internal management and public communication :

Do you have the right to have questions ? Yes.

Do you have the right to get answers ? No.

Of course it remains my own opinion but judging by the very few and very same on all similar topics that breeded over years, it is only a concern for a very small minority of future players, wether they Doomsayers, naysayers or negative judgement, and it doesn't mean an answer is deserved. Not everything is our business here, whatever we pledged and for how much.

It's not forbidden to have anguish over the project, or even feeling deceived over the years as a few here have shown, but that doesn't mean personal behaviour, stance or feeling deceived does merit an answer, that would be the door open to anything from anywhere, because it's strictly a personal issue.

This is probably not what you would like to read, and remain my own opinion on the subject.

This is my sentiment as well. I draw the line at where the negative types (few though they be) always and invariably begin to attack those who are positive/development team, without ANY repercussions or internalizing of facts from that end. Meanwhile the positive side/development team of the equation is fighting to consider all elements involved and paying with personal sacrifice, while simutaneously being aware of the pressures building AND not complaining...... which is why whiteknighting clearly is > naysaying, and I will stand here proudly.

I realize many in the middle may not appreciate my approach, but thats a calculated risk Im willing to take. The "naysayers" dont know how to strive together for a shared goal only against others for mutual destruction, so I intend to destroy them with the truth of their deeds. This attitude is a cancer and must be cut out of the community. They hide behind the necessity of an open and objective communication which everyone knows is needed (help me guys), but they are not objective at all. Injecting "hope for the worst" into every forum of our boards. There must be a clear distinction made between having an open and objective conversation of facts, from random attacks on the community and the development team with jabs and stabs of an assumptive nature (you have emotional problems/the devs are upto something sneaky). If we want to #neverforget something this should be it, their unfounded lies against us. This behaviour MUST be ostracized or it will metastasis.

• 43 posts
    December 3, 2019 1:55 PM PST

My question is how many more years this adds to the release of project foreverall? Because crafting/harvesting is certainally part of the complete Pantheon experience to me.

• 291 posts
    December 3, 2019 2:20 PM PST

Velrak said:

My question is how many more years this adds to the release of project foreverall? Because crafting/harvesting is certainally part of the complete Pantheon experience to me.

We really can only speculate without the devs input, but Im pretty sure a response is coming to this thread at large. This could be a bulletpoint in the near future, and directly answered. There is a newer post in the crafting section started by Nephele where such action is requested in an official manner.

Nephele said:

• 1860 posts
    December 3, 2019 6:45 PM PST

Its always the new, uninformed people who come and go.  Post a bunch of "loud" posts and end up fading away.  This seems likely to be just another example.  

Don't be to harsh against the loud ones.  They either havent been following since the beginning or, at this point, they are simply naive.

We all want the game to succeed.  Some more blindly and less informed than others.

• 9115 posts
    December 3, 2019 7:09 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Corey has left to pursue other opportunities which is very common in this industry. Like VERY common - it is just more noticeable with a smaller team but again, nothing changes, we have multiple people in these roles and are always networking and in contact with people to replace staff where needed. We will never announce departures unless in extreme situations that we believe need explanations.

We love Corey, appreciate his contribution to Pantheon and wish him the very best in his future endeavours! :)

Some people failed to read my comment - this is our official answer and as I said, development continues as per normal, nothing changes.

Nothing is scrapped, multiple people working on this portion of the game, work continues as per normal as it has with every other departure over the years and there has been MANY!

The thread has now run its course, please do not create any new threads on this topic or they will be removed.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at December 3, 2019 7:30 PM PST