Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Buff Durations

• 801 posts
    November 29, 2019 11:10 AM PST

Please i hope that we dont have to keep buffing every 5 minutes. Its annoying as a utility class. Please say there is something on this.

Your thoughts?

This post was edited by Crazzie at November 29, 2019 11:11 AM PST
    • 1428 posts
    November 29, 2019 11:21 AM PST

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at November 29, 2019 11:35 AM PST
    • 1428 posts
    November 29, 2019 11:34 AM PST

there was a discussion on this a while back.

to clarify:

short duration buffs(lasting 1 min or less) that are very powerful with long cooldowns(3-5 mins).

or long duration buffs(lasting 30 mins or more) that provide a small stat boost.

this is a personal stance, but a long duration buff providing a small buff via CLASS is a poor design.  i'm perfectly content if a long duration buff is provided via cooking.

keep in mind we have a las12 to work with.  i don't want to be fumbling a spell buff on and off.  it becomes tedious.

now certain classes, based on what i read and information given, understand that these long duration type things have been moved to a class action bar(seperate from las12) in which they act as auras.

i would link the thread, but i don't really swim in old waters that much XD

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at November 29, 2019 11:35 AM PST
    • 560 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:26 PM PST

@ Crazzie I could not agree with you more.

Sometimes I feel EQ just had the right idea and newer games keep messing it up. Buff durations are one of those examples. There is something about short duration buffs that just make me to not want to cast them at all.

I know I have read others talk about buff durations but I have not seen an official stance on buff length.

• 1247 posts
    November 29, 2019 2:42 PM PST

@ Starblight Yeah, I can see what you mean. Hard to say what kind of a mix between long and short there will be. Hmm.

@Stellar Yes, interesting. And the class bars look great. Brilliant mind Stellar, brilliant! :)

• 81 posts
    November 29, 2019 2:48 PM PST

Options are best.  Have it all.  Short duration, medium, long, permenant, until removed, whatever.

• 20 posts
    November 29, 2019 8:29 PM PST

I played a game pretty old, pretty crappy really called "DOMO" or :"Dream of Mirror Online". after playign nothign but heals for a good many years, i decided to use an oft requsted and desired yet rarely played class. The Bard, it was support, and  the buffs you gave were absolutey amazing, 20-50% bonuses to a whole range of stats and abilities.  In total id like to say there were 10 diffent buffs at mx level, each one on a 5 second CD no GCD..

Game play was litterally press 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0. cuase by the time you got back too 1, the buff might have 2 seconds left my as well refrsh it and keep the rythum... That eperience alone makes me prefer 30minute ot 60minute buffs

This post was edited by MushyMel at November 29, 2019 8:31 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    December 2, 2019 1:59 PM PST

If you look closely at the streams, it appears most buffs have about a 35-45 minute duration at this point and I think that is a good basis from which to start.  Clealry you don't want buffs to last too long as that reinforces the desire to have buff bots over putting actually players in your group.  At the same time, having to rebuff constantly is annoying AF and the mana of classes with buffs could be put to better (and more interesting) use.  Just as melee whine incessently about noit wanting their combat to be boring, classes that offer a lot of buffs also do not want their gameplay dominated by constantly rebuffing.

That said, not every buff should last the same duration.  A highly specialized buff could be seen has something which should have a more limited duration, but those should be not be the norm.

• 560 posts
    December 2, 2019 3:12 PM PST

@Vandraad

Thanks for pointing that out. I do watch the streams but never that closely. I loved the really long buffs in EQ I think you could get some that lasted over four hours. But you also make a good point on why that could be bad. 35-45 minute buffs is long enough to not be annoying for sure.

• 1019 posts
    December 4, 2019 7:44 AM PST

If it's a temp buff, minimum duration should be 1 hour.  I completely agree that it get annoying noticing my 10 min buff has been off for the past 30 mins.

• 368 posts
    December 4, 2019 7:56 AM PST

Should scale based on the strength of the benefit provided. The stronger the benefit is, the shorter the duration should be.

• 560 posts
    December 4, 2019 9:29 AM PST

@arazons

I think this is a reasonable approach. I dislike short buff so much though that I would rather no buff was strong enough to have it last less than 30 minute. I would also hope as you level up all 30-minute buff would go away to be replaced with much longer buffs.

• 2419 posts
    December 4, 2019 11:05 AM PST

arazons said:

Should scale based on the strength of the benefit provided. The stronger the benefit is, the shorter the duration should be.

By that logic, because we've seen that buffs are replaced as we level up by stronger versions, your beginning level buffs should last hours while at 50, they would last mere minutes.  That's idiotic.  As we level, buff durations should increase.

• 520 posts
    December 4, 2019 11:41 AM PST

Vandraad said:

arazons said:

By that logic, because we've seen that buffs are replaced as we level up by stronger versions, your beginning level buffs should last hours while at 50, they would last mere minutes.  That's idiotic.  As we level, buff durations should increase.

As far as I know buffs will scale (among other things?) with attributes - and depending on attribute and buff, we will be able to focus on buff duration (eg.INT) or strength (eg.AGI) (or perhaps even secondary effect strength if appliable).

• 238 posts
    December 5, 2019 9:08 PM PST

Honestly, I would like to see buff duration scale based on the level being cast and maybe based on certain stats and/or proficiency in certain areas like abjuration, conjuration... etc

I wouldn't mind seeing buffs start at 20/25/30 minutes then scaling to 60+ minute durations. However, I think it would be a bit ridiculous for buffs to retain short durations at max level as that would fade the perception of character power progression.

• 209 posts
    December 6, 2019 9:46 AM PST

I'm currently playing a pally in Classic WoW, and the one thing I absolutely hate about the class is the 5-minute buffs. Now, group buffs that automatically trigger through combat abilities might be a different story, but I hate having to stop every 5 minutes and manually buff each member the group. That's incredibly tedious for me, and doesn't add anything to the game except annoyance. I'm solidly of the belief that regular manual buffs should last half an hour or more.

This post was edited by Gyldervane at December 6, 2019 9:48 AM PST