Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Weather - global or localized

• 520 posts
    November 29, 2019 4:14 AM PST

I'm wondering - with the exception of unnatural/magic weather (like mountain where there is always a storm or a tower constantly surrounded by strong winds) - will weather be completely random in each zone or will it be more global - so eg. there is no way that one zone will have perfect weather while a zone that shares a border with this zone will have terrible storm at the same time? 

PS: Sorry for misspelling the title - it triggers me too ...

PS2: Thanks for fixing that Kilsin (?) ;-)

This post was edited by Hegenox at December 2, 2019 12:12 PM PST
    • 291 posts
    November 29, 2019 6:06 AM PST

I sure hope so. I realize pantheon wont have the seemless zoning like vg did, but dis-simular weather patterns in zones sharing a zoneline would surely break immersion. Cant hear the raining outside when your in a dungeoun only to zone out into a sunny dry world etc. They may of gotten away with this back in the day but it seems like techs come far enough that this can easily be avoided.

• 1785 posts
    November 29, 2019 7:49 AM PST

I think a lot depends on how big the zones are.

If a zone is a "region" in terms of size, I think it's ok for weather patterns to differ.  It can be raining in Faerthale and sunny in Thronefast and that's ok.  The two areas are pretty far apart on Kingsreach.

On the other hand, if a zone is only a portion of a region, like for example the four zones that made up the plains of Karana in EQ, then they should probably share weather.

• 1428 posts
    November 29, 2019 8:25 AM PST

they can do localized and drifting zone to zone weather patterns.  its done in bdo.  it's a pretty simple system to build from scratch in unity.

uhh so actual global weather, but with localized effects.

wouldn't be a world if they didn't.  i'd be really dissappointed if they skimped on this considering the emphasis on environmental gameplay.

so taking nepheles rain in faerthale, the rain could drift west into the ocean, turn into a hurricane(storm) and hit skargol. dun dun dunnnn dynamic weather!

i think the coding for it is simple too from what i remember:

cold+rain+(set area parameters like wind-turns to cold rain storm-, hot-turns to fog-, cold-turns to snow-)?

eh i don't remember it's been a while since i messed with unity >.>

• 90 posts
    November 29, 2019 9:19 AM PST

Take it even one step futher and have splotches of different weather in local areas. Make it so rain clouds can move across zones.

• 231 posts
    November 29, 2019 9:26 AM PST

Having the rain drift along through a zone would be very immersive.

• 291 posts
    November 29, 2019 9:44 AM PST

I still am in agreement with a post I saw sometime back about being able to see mobs THROUGH the zone line. Itd be nice if everything (even weather) were visible somehow before zoning.

• 1247 posts
    November 29, 2019 6:44 PM PST

Awesome weather ideas!

• 145 posts
    November 29, 2019 7:16 PM PST
    As long as the lightning is good I don’t mind glowbal weather but either way is good just don’t want the lights to be to lowcal or it might be hard to see
    • 1281 posts
    November 30, 2019 9:58 AM PST

Alyonyah said:

I still am in agreement with a post I saw sometime back about being able to see mobs THROUGH the zone line. Itd be nice if everything (even weather) were visible somehow before zoning.

Dunno if you're referring to my post about how you should be able to see across zone lines so you know if you're going to be attacked on zoning or another one, but yeah, weather should be across zone lines as well.  If it's raining at the edge of the zone on one side, it should be raning on the other as well.

• 291 posts
    November 30, 2019 10:19 AM PST

I believe I am and I agree. Hope it gets in.

• 1281 posts
    November 30, 2019 12:35 PM PST

Alyonyah said:

I believe I am and I agree. Hope it gets in.

I do too.  It shouldn't be particularly difficult to "paint" things on zone walls from the next zone over and continue patterns across zones.  That said, I'm not a coder.  I'm an engineer.

• 1584 posts
    November 30, 2019 10:12 PM PST

Honestly When it comes to Weather i don't want it to be zone based, as in i believe it could be raining in one part of a zone but be sunny somewhere else int he same zone and the cstorm moves around or get bigger/smaller over time and effect different areas or what could become the whole zone, but doesn't have to be.

So to me I think playing in a world where the storm can actually move around and effect different areas at different times is way more immserive to me than if it is raining in this zone it is raining in the entire zone the entire time til it simply isn't raining anymore, that isn't the way weather works.

• 2419 posts
    December 1, 2019 1:07 PM PST

I'd like to see weather localized by zone, but day/night be a moving line across the world east to west.  Thus it would be dawn in Thronefast yet just getting dark in Skargol.

• 9115 posts
    December 2, 2019 3:52 AM PST

This post has been promoted as part of my CM content to continue the discussion :)

"Hot Topic - Weather - Global or Localized, what are your thoughts? https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/11356/weather-global-or-locatized #MMORPG #CommunityMatters"

• 520 posts
    December 2, 2019 4:25 AM PST

Kilsin said:

This post has been promoted as part of my CM content to continue the discussion :)

"Hot Topic - Weather - Global or Localized, what are your thoughts? https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/11356/weather-global-or-locatized #MMORPG #CommunityMatters"

Cool!

My preference would be global - so when there is nice weather in Fearthale then it'll be also nice in The Silent Plains, but in the Steppes of Ru'Lln it could be windy and a bit cloudy, while in Wild's End it would rain. There should be AT LEAST one zone that would separate two very different weather types. 

• 259 posts
    December 2, 2019 6:13 AM PST

I would love to see real dynamic weather systems that carry through to other zones.

• 13 posts
    December 2, 2019 6:44 AM PST

Replied on teh FB page, added comment here.

Localized for sure. ✅

I think adding in the ability for users to create/effect local weather and also AI generated events (like if too many people are congregating in a location, maybe a severe storm spins up out of the blue and adds in an additional element of challenge. 

Would be nice to have some dynamic weather events to have to prepare for when out adventuring!

This post was edited by Nizzdal at December 2, 2019 6:45 AM PST
    • 291 posts
    December 2, 2019 7:07 AM PST

Hegenox said:

Kilsin said:

Cool!

My preference would be global - so when there is nice weather in Fearthale then it'll be also nice in The Silent Plains, but in the Steppes of Ru'Lln it could be windy and a bit cloudy, while in Wild's End it would rain. There should be AT LEAST one zone that would separate two very different weather types. 

Well done again hegenox.

• 1247 posts
    December 2, 2019 7:13 AM PST

Nizzdal said:

Localized for sure. ✅

I think adding in the ability for users to create/effect local weather and also AI generated events (like if too many people are congregating in a location, maybe a severe storm spins up out of the blue and adds in an additional element of challenge. 

Would be nice to have some dynamic weather events to have to prepare for when out adventuring!

Thank you. I really appreciate you posting here, as I do not (and will not) use facebook/social media. It is nice to see the weather ideas here. :) The sky, weather effects, the classes.. weather can wind up being pretty neat. 

• 520 posts
    December 2, 2019 12:09 PM PST

Nizzdal said:

Localized for sure. ✅

Oh I definitely agree that weather should be dynamic and there should be magical weather events sometimes appearing in the fragment of the zone - perhaps thanks to some enemy abilities. 

• 71 posts
    December 2, 2019 3:43 PM PST

Considering that Weather isn't normally the same everywhere with even certain areas never having certain types of weather like Snow for example. I would prefer Pantheon to do something like this, have the weather different but similar per map/region and uses it's position on the planet to give it certain weather patterns, since most of the time the Weather isn't stationary and moves down a certain pattern which is usually based on wind direction and ect. So for Snow i'd say giving these regions a chance of snowfall while other areas outside the region would never get snowfall would be best and considering that this world has magic i guess you can make a few regions have the same weather all year round too and it still won't affect the other regions weather. Plus with a weather system like this you can make the importance of weather spells all the more vital for combat. 

View post on imgur.com 

So for me, i'd say a more dynamic weather system where it's essentially replicating real Weather Patterns would be best. As for how they can do that, they can just keep a list of certain areas that can get weather like snow then have another system which keeps track of where it's snowing and have one last check which essentially turns off the weather in one map and either turns it on in another map or turns it off completely, all based on the time/year ingame. They can also impliment buff/debuffs based on the weather too but that's another thing entirely. But this is just me spitballing here. 

This post was edited by znushu at December 2, 2019 3:45 PM PST
    • 145 posts
    December 2, 2019 7:33 PM PST
    All kidding aside it should be both with seasons affecting parts of the globe and localized in places akin to Seattle which are normally rainy
    • 145 posts
    December 2, 2019 7:37 PM PST
    Also if what I is incorrect I really don’t know much about the weather I am like Ollie the weather man it’s gonna rain
    • 2756 posts
    December 3, 2019 3:01 AM PST

It shouldn't be too hard to have weather move and spread in a 'sensible' manner.  It is kinda immersion breaking in games where you step from zone to zone and the weather changes (depending on the zone representation).  Even games where weather is a 'client' thing, so can be different player to player!

I would prefer to see something 'realistic' where weather moves from zone to zone and covers multiple zones.

In general I like weather effects in game - would be super cool, given the acclimation system, for weather to actually effect characters (like a buff/debuff) not just be graphical, but just graphical is worth it.

Guild chat: Guys! Come to The Burning Woods!  It's snowing and the Fire Imps are weak!
    Guild chat: It's snowing here, too, so it shouldn't blow over too quickly.  We should have enough time for us to kill all the way to the boss!

This post was edited by disposalist at December 3, 2019 3:02 AM PST