Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Would You Rather - Catch a boat or a caravan to your destination

• 9115 posts
    November 25, 2019 7:43 PM PST

Draylin said:

Implement both for variety. Other MMOs have offered multiple ways to travel to keep things less tedious.

We will have more than these two options but for this hypothetical CM question, you must pick one or the other - the time is the same, the distance is the same but you can pick land or sea!

• 9115 posts
    November 25, 2019 7:43 PM PST
    You can't take both at the same time!! haha

Pick land/caravan or water/boat, both take equally as long just different scenery/potential threats  

P.S. Next time you can take the other option, or walk or ride etc.
    • 201 posts
    November 25, 2019 7:52 PM PST

The boat where it actually had a zone of content was the best.  It was both transportation, a fun diversion at times if you jumped off, and sometimes even a destination in itself with the zone that could only be gotten to via the boat.

• 454 posts
    November 25, 2019 11:28 PM PST

Give me a boat in heavy seas.  Let me climb the ropes and trim the sails.  Maybe even throw out a sea anchor if the need arises.  Boat travel!  How cool is that.

• 228 posts
    November 26, 2019 1:56 AM PST

Questaar said:

Give me a boat in heavy seas.  Let me climb the ropes and trim the sails.  Maybe even throw out a sea anchor if the need arises.  Boat travel! How cool is that.

Yeah, something like that. And throw in a few ocean perils lurking in the deep.

I don't see the point in caravans unless it were to enable people to travel while being AFK or even logged out, neither of which I am a great fan of.

• 520 posts
    November 26, 2019 2:30 AM PST

Jabir said:

(...) being AFK or even logged out, neither of which I am a great fan of.

Yeah - I'm not a big fan of being logged out either! xD

• 1584 posts
    November 26, 2019 2:35 AM PST

Okay. if i actually have to pick one than Ocean/Ship, it would massively make the world seem bigger, especially with islands and such to explore.

• 793 posts
    November 26, 2019 4:24 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Draylin said:

Implement both for variety. Other MMOs have offered multiple ways to travel to keep things less tedious.

We will have more than these two options but for this hypothetical CM question, you must pick one or the other - the time is the same, the distance is the same but you can pick land or sea!

It would really depend on where I was tryingt to go, I'm not taking a caravan to get across the ocean (at least not as what I think of a caravan), and I'm not taking a boat to get farther inland. :)

But without understanding how caravans work, and using EQ1 as a reference for how boats work, it is a hard question to answer with any certainty.

But to answer your question, I like the boat, as it just seems more like an adventure, than just a form of quick/safe travel.

This post was edited by Fulton at November 26, 2019 4:26 AM PST
    • 2138 posts
    November 26, 2019 7:35 AM PST

Manouk said:

Kilsin said:

if it took the same time no matter which option you chose? 

The way I read that is: player has an option to stay logged in, or to Log out and be at destination when they log back in. The time to get to destination is fixed.

My guess is you would have to engage a mechanic to say that you were "caravanning" that is different from "AFK" or camping. If you are AFK, you would be left on the Caravan/ boat, forever circling. However to trigger that you were on a caravan/ boat, having a ticket you buy then gives you the option on the Caravan/boat when camping out to "caravan? chose destination A destination B" so when you log back in you will be at the docks of desination so chosen and not on the boat.

If you jump off the caravan/boat- your ticket is destroyed and where you camp out, is where you will respawn when you log back in.

To be clear, my response is not only for boats but for the concept of "caravanning" on sea or land.

the journey takes 15-20 minutes. If you choose to "caravan" you will essentially camp out and can log back in in 15-20 minutes, or in 4 hours, or the next day. But whenever you log in, your character will be in the docks/gates of the destination chosen when you chose to caravan-Camp out.

• 1404 posts
    November 26, 2019 9:00 AM PST

Hegenox said:

Jabir said:

(...) being AFK or even logged out, neither of which I am a great fan of.

Yeah - I'm not a big fan of being logged out either! xD

I'm with you on this, I would be OK with the way it's usually  (?) Done that if you were to AFK or log out on a boat AR caravan, you just might miss your stop, and when you get back be right where you started.

• 2419 posts
    November 26, 2019 9:09 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Would You Rather - Catch a boat or a caravan to your destination in Terminus if it took the same time no matter which option you chose? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Can boats go on land?  Because I'd rather take a boat on land and a caravan on water.

• 644 posts
    November 26, 2019 9:17 AM PST

Boat for sure!

• 2041 posts
    November 26, 2019 10:11 AM PST

Vandraad said:

I'd rather take a boat on land and a caravan on water.

I want to change my answer to this!

• 68 posts
    November 26, 2019 10:56 AM PST

The way the question is asked, the boat would either sail the shoreline or up and down a river. If this is the case caravan.

• 3016 posts
    November 26, 2019 11:48 AM PST

A boat for sure....so what about ingame tranport other than?    Wizards and Druids...Wizards and Druids.   Haven't heard a thing about this particular utility.  

Cana

• 79 posts
    November 26, 2019 6:41 PM PST

If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose boats. I think both would be enjoyable, though.

• 213 posts
    November 26, 2019 6:54 PM PST
    I’d like to try both for a unique experience. Boats are in every MMO, my thought is, what is this new form of transportation and what could taking it do for me? Where would it lead me? What new experience might I have trying it? ❤️
    • 520 posts
    November 27, 2019 12:16 AM PST

Jothany said:

Vandraad said:

I'd rather take a boat on land and a caravan on water.

I want to change my answer to this!

;-)

This post was edited by Hegenox at November 27, 2019 12:18 AM PST
    • 220 posts
    November 27, 2019 6:37 AM PST

well look like i'll have to pick caravan then. i like watching the scenery and other players ginding or exploring the open world

• 388 posts
    November 27, 2019 8:58 AM PST

I will go with BOAT, but I agree withe everyone else. Both could be great. Boats for continental travel, caravans for inter-continental travel. 

• 90 posts
    November 27, 2019 8:59 AM PST

Boats like they were in EQ1, traveling through an ocean or Sea zone. This time though just need to put more content in the Oceans and Seas. Waiting at the docs for the boats was a great way for meeting people and traveling buddies. 

I read your earlier idea of Caravans that they will help players travel from one city to another while offiline and that sounded interesting. if it's ingame it should be something slow and realistic like the wagon ride in the opening  of Skyrim. 

• 724 posts
    November 27, 2019 9:06 AM PST
    A slow boat.
    I live on an island with history.
    In the museum and some homes there are examples of the items sailors made while at sea. Some crafted items and nik-naks are quite ornate. A slow voyage with the ability to do some crafting would be really fun. You could plan your trip, stock up on a few resources and craft away and chat with fellow travelers.
    I believe this would add to the feeling of a large world that forces the adventurers to weigh the decision of relocating to another land. Some players will complain that thier valuable game time is being 'wasted'... ignore them, it's not the destination, it's the journey.
    Slow boat with basic or special crafting. Maybe a 1 or 2% chance of a storm with damage or ruin.
    • 724 posts
    November 27, 2019 9:06 AM PST
    A slow boat.
    I live on an island with history.
    In the museum and some homes there are examples of the items sailors made while at sea. Some crafted items and nik-naks are quite ornate. A slow voyage with the ability to do some crafting would be really fun. You could plan your trip, stock up on a few resources and craft away and chat with fellow travelers.
    I believe this would add to the feeling of a large world that forces the adventurers to weigh the decision of relocating to another land. Some players will complain that thier valuable game time is being 'wasted'... ignore them, it's not the destination, it's the journey.
    Slow boat with basic or special crafting. Maybe a 1 or 2% chance of a storm with damage or ruin.
    • 1428 posts
    November 27, 2019 9:26 AM PST

StoneFish said: A slow boat. I live on an island with history. In the museum and some homes there are examples of the items sailors made while at sea. Some crafted items and nik-naks are quite ornate. A slow voyage with the ability to do some crafting would be really fun. You could plan your trip, stock up on a few resources and craft away and chat with fellow travelers. I believe this would add to the feeling of a large world that forces the adventurers to weigh the decision of relocating to another land. Some players will complain that thier valuable game time is being 'wasted'... ignore them, it's not the destination, it's the journey. Slow boat with basic or special crafting. Maybe a 1 or 2% chance of a storm with damage or ruin.

is it an island with a(singular) road?

• 239 posts
    November 27, 2019 10:46 AM PST
    Boat..... with a physical platform that one could test his drinking skills and take the chance of falling off in the middle of the sea.
    Would be interesting to see random pirate or sea monster events that could potentially kill everyone on the boat. Travel is dangerous....