Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Would You Rather - Catch a boat or a caravan to your destination

• 9115 posts
    November 25, 2019 3:57 AM PST

Would You Rather - Catch a boat or a caravan to your destination in Terminus if it took the same time no matter which option you chose? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 2 posts
    November 25, 2019 3:59 AM PST

Implement both for variety. Other MMOs have offered multiple ways to travel to keep things less tedious.

• 1247 posts
    November 25, 2019 4:12 AM PST

Would much rather catch a boat with a wait time and a travel time. Not an instant boat like in WoW where you just travel across the ocean in a few seconds lol. 

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels #worldsnotgames #aradune 

• 1584 posts
    November 25, 2019 4:31 AM PST

If it took the same amount of time, I say add both.

If the whole boat ride have it to where you have islands you can explore, so it isn't just a simply boat ride

On the Caravan i say have it to where it runs by points of interest, like maybe if it running from Thronefast to another big Human outpost it might run by 2 other small outpost or something to this effect.

And with the Caravans i would also say they aren't always safe travels, and would say most of the time they wouldn't be that way a low level character cant jump on such caravan and think they are getting a free ride that is 20 levels higher than them, this could be difficult to preform, but im sure you would find a way to make something like this possible.

This post was edited by Cealtric at November 25, 2019 4:33 AM PST
    • 124 posts
    November 25, 2019 4:37 AM PST

If forced to choose one, over the other, I'd have to say boat, but not instant travel, a physical journey, such as the trip through the Ocean of Tears. The amount of time I got overconfident, and fell of that damn boat is actually quite rediculous. Some will complain that it takes too long, but the end result is a world that feels expansive, and you have to plan ahead in order to make progress.

Having said that, I do really like the caravan idea, too!

• 107 posts
    November 25, 2019 4:37 AM PST
    I'm partial to boats, but would honestly like to see both options placed in game so long it is appropriate and makes sense.
    • 259 posts
    November 25, 2019 4:45 AM PST

How about both!

• 1315 posts
    November 25, 2019 6:03 AM PST

Boat if by land, caravan if by sea .  .  .  . wait that’s not going to work.

I favor the concept of a network of slow but safe automated travel from newbie zones to capital cities and onto other capital cities.  This network would be the primary area for no-combat focused players and would split the game into an interconnect city zone and the surrounding adventure zone.

Going from newbie zone to the closest capital city over land would be a lower level adventure and if you do not stop to fight would be potentially faster on foot than by caravan.  Going from one capital to another over land would be much more challenging and dangerous.  I would how ever make a direct caravan faster than going overland, but I would not allow players to get off said caravan mid trip.

Boats realistically are just a caravan for water, either ocean or river.  For flavor sake I could see a single voyage being both less frequent and longer duration than any capital to capital direct caravan.

A second tier of automated travel could be unsecure caravans.  These would travel only on local surface roads to and from small villages along trade routes.  The caravans would have the chance to be attacked by local fauna.  If no players actively defend the caravan then the trip will take much longer.  If player choose to defend the caravan then standard adventuring rewards would be given plus some form of caravan specific reward relative to the number of not participating PCs.

There would still be a limit to where these unsecure caravans can go and a high level player with a horse would be able to travel much faster than the caravan even on the roads while having the option of cross country shortcuts.  What this caravan system could facilitate is buying a ticket right before logging out to the village you want to adventure in the next day and traveling while offline.  The world stays big but most of the tedium of traveling long distances could be handled while doing something else, like sleeping, homework or spending time with family.

• 430 posts
    November 25, 2019 6:48 AM PST

Row Row Row your boat :)

• 368 posts
    November 25, 2019 6:52 AM PST

Id rather catch a boat for inter-continental travel. And then catch a caravan for overland travel... ;)

This post was edited by arazons at November 25, 2019 6:52 AM PST
    • 1404 posts
    November 25, 2019 6:56 AM PST

Boats as implemented in EQ1 with the ocean zone between the starting point and the destination, excluding the zone in bugs, but including the wait time I like, and hope to see them in Pantheon.

Caravans, I have never seen implemented in any game. I've heard a little bit about Vanguard's but again never made use of them. In my mind I see EQ2's pony travel thing, where you jump on and it rockets you down the trail like a pony on crack...... and with that as my vision of a caravan.... oh hell no!

• 200 posts
    November 25, 2019 7:03 AM PST

Whichever is more conducive to accomodate a gathering or an opportunity to socialize.  I think I would prefer boats though.

• 3852 posts
    November 25, 2019 7:07 AM PST

I assume you don't mean caravan in the Vanguard sense.

Boat.

• 500 posts
    November 25, 2019 8:09 AM PST

Boats for sure.  Caravan would depend on how they are implemented... so I reserve judgement at this point.

• 2138 posts
    November 25, 2019 8:26 AM PST

Kilsin said:

if it took the same time no matter which option you chose? 

The way I read that is: player has an option to stay logged in, or to Log out and be at destination when they log back in. The time to get to destination is fixed.

So you can stay on the boat and enjoy the view or chat to fellow passengers knowing it will take a defined amount of time maybe 15-20 minutes to get to your destination.However at any time you can jump into the sandbox and swim swim swim... and maybe find something! before you drown. Or you can get on the boat and log out, do some stuff in RL and come back in 20 minutes or 4 hours later or even the next day, and be at the docks. 

My guess is you would have to engage a mechanic to say that you were "caravanning" that is different from "AFK" or camping. If you are AFK, you would be left on the boat. However if you were on the boat, and perhaps to trigger that you were on a boat, having a ticket you buy then gives you the option on the boat when camping out to "caravan? chose destination A destination B" so when you log back in you will be at the docks of desination so chosen and not on the boat.

If you jump off the boat- your ticket is destroyed and where you camp out, is where you will respawn when you log back in.

• 1785 posts
    November 25, 2019 9:13 AM PST

Both.  If I'm headed from Reingfall to Whitethaw, I'll absolutely take a ship.  Or even potentially if I'm headed from Syronai's Rest to a point on the other side of Reignfall, depending.

However if I'm headed from Wild's End to Faerthale, I might join a caravan traveling by road.

More importantly though - both method should allow for adventures to occur along the way.  I shouldn't simply board the ship, fade to black, and magically be at my destination 5 minutes later.  That's boring.  Instead there should be a journey.  Maybe a pirate attack or a sea monster.  Maybe a storm or two.  Maybe an "hey what's on that island over there" moment?  Maybe even an unexpected event where the storm forces the ship off course and we end up docking at that island for a while while the ship makes repairs.

You know.  An adventure.

• 1428 posts
    November 25, 2019 9:24 AM PST

boats are technically safer from a pvp point of view.  caravans are more likely to be ambushed(barrier to raid lower and more accessible).

speaking of, will the boat and caravan be considered transport that can't be targeted by pvpers or anything goes?

i'm of the latter >=D

usually pirates put up a more interesting fight(generally more creative) and tend to have more wealth than bandits.  then again, bandits show up more frequently than pirates.

how big is the boat?  is it galleon sized or small trading vessel?

eh i'd have to go with the quality opponents here even though encountering pirates is lower.  boat travel ^_^

beyond the seaaa~

for music lovers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8OlDPqYBLw

• 220 posts
    November 25, 2019 9:44 AM PST

both and have each ride 5-15min of travel time with the open world.

while your riding you can watch the the scenery goes by as you pass through forest, mountains, fields, villiage, city, other players exploring, fighting, questing, etc...

THAT will be my "bathroom break, food, drink time and rest time"

• 768 posts
    November 25, 2019 9:48 AM PST
    Which ever provides me the best views of the scenary pn my way to my locations. Who says a boat or caravan cannot be eventfull or has some visual appeal to it on the way? Both can provide the player with unique views of places that are otherwise out of reach for the player. Or they can come across npc or content that would slightly tease the traveler.
    For now I will prefer caravan.
    • 291 posts
    November 25, 2019 9:53 AM PST

Boat for when Im online..... caravan for when Im off.

• 2038 posts
    November 25, 2019 10:14 AM PST

♫ 'tis only me, come home from the sea, says Barnacle Bill the sailor ♫

• 2756 posts
    November 25, 2019 10:15 AM PST

All other things being equal rolling countryside on an overland trip is way more interesting then rolling sea on a boat trip, but I would have thought caravan overland and boat between continents?

One thing you don't often see is a boat trip down a river or along a coastline... That could be nice.

In Pantheon I would like to see LOTRO-like horse trips.  You hire one at a stable and it auto-rides to your choice of nearby stables (that you've unlocked).  The best bit: You could watch the ride and jump off if you wanted, or just go have a pee and come back to find your character in the destination.

• 520 posts
    November 25, 2019 12:40 PM PST

I'd say a boat/ship - there you can (or at least should be able to) do some fishing as well as take part in other different activities depending on the size of the vessel (gambling, playing instruments, dueling). I hope wind-users will be able to increse sailing speed. Caravans on the other hand don't give much options.

Alyonyah said:

Boat for when Im online..... caravan for when Im off.

^This as well.

This post was edited by Hegenox at November 25, 2019 12:42 PM PST
    • 159 posts
    November 25, 2019 7:18 PM PST

All things being equal, a caravan. I would like there to be a possibility of some danger on the trip, as well as the possibility for PvP perhaps.

This post was edited by Kass at November 25, 2019 7:19 PM PST
    • 159 posts
    November 25, 2019 7:18 PM PST

d

This post was edited by Kass at November 25, 2019 7:18 PM PST