Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Request for a Statement on the Succession of Brad McQuaid

• 17 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:06 AM PST

I, like most everyone here, am sorrowed by the loss of the Cheif Creative Officer of the company.  At the risk of being told "too soon," I would like to request a statement from Visionary Realms and the Pantheon team on their succession plans for his position, and their plan moving forward.  An integral designer and spiritual leader of the company has died unexpectedly, so I can understand that the company did not have a statement at the ready for this event, but I (and I'm sure many other backers) would appreciate a statement of sorts from the communications department outlining the leadership succession and plans for the future in the absence of an integral and key person in the company.  Again, please do not take this request as a demand, or insensitive request to forbear greiving, but I feel relatively certain that Mr. McQuaid would want to have "The Vision" realized even in his absence.  

Respectfully,

Ted Howard

Supporter

This post was edited by wehted at November 20, 2019 8:08 AM PST
    • 1479 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:12 AM PST

We don't know if it was unexpected, and it's none of our business.

• 1247 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:14 AM PST

Yes, we must rally in Aradune’s honor.. those of us who played his games (ClassicEQ/Kunark/Velious and Vanguard), Visionary Realms, and new people alike.

NOW is the time to rally. May we renew our push like NEVER before in fulfilling his vision for Pantheon. I am angry, I am devastated, but I do not want to stop. To Brad’s family: thoughts are with you. 

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels

• 17 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:15 AM PST

Syrif said:

Yes, we must rally in Aradune’s honor.. those of us who played his games (ClassicEQ/Kunark/Velious and Vanguard), Visionary Realms, and new people alike.

NOW is the time to rally. May we renew our push like NEVER before in fulfilling his vision for Pantheon. I am angry, I am devastated, but I do not want to stop. To Brad’s family: thoughts are with you. 

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels

Thank you, I could not agree more.

• 115 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:15 AM PST

@wehted

Ya, too soon. Even though there may be others that might be thinking the same thing, the timing of your post is just wrong.

We will undoubtedly get more information in the days to come.

• 368 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:21 AM PST

I am curious as well, however the timing of your question is in very poor taste.

Brad may have been the spearhead that started VR, but VR is still a gaming company even with his passing. And one that I assume is still capable of creating this game, just regretably without Brad now.

I am sure there will be more news in the coming days regarding the future of VR/Pantheon. 

Rest in peace Brad!

This post was edited by arazons at November 20, 2019 8:30 AM PST
    • 1315 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:36 AM PST

Gently guys, gently.  We are all human and any team as small as VR is a close nit family.  To work and create so passionately with a group of like-minded individuals generates very strong bonds.  Those bonds are currently causing a great deal of pain for the team, even for those of us watching and cheering from the sidelines.

Give them at least a few weeks to grieve and process their futures.

Ultimately though there is no need for another Chief Creative Officer, at least not for PROTF.  The Creative Officers work is really heavy in the conceptual phase and peters out to an advisor once the coders fingers hit the keyboard.  As prolific as Brad was to the public I am certain internally he was orders of magnitude more prolific so they team has most of his vision to refer to as questions come up.  I would not put it past him to have already mapped out the first 10 content expansions at least from a creative standpoint.

Where we will miss him most is his solutions to unexpected problems and perhaps responding to emergent gameplay that was never anticipated.  Even then I think we could guess many of his responses.

Either way, go gently on the team.  The have lost someone special to their daily lives in a most abrupt and painful manner.

• 17 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:38 AM PST

Trasak said:

Gently guys, gently.  We are all human and any team as small as VR is a close nit family.  To work and create so passionately with a group of like-minded individuals generates very strong bonds.  Those bonds are currently causing a great deal of pain for the team, even for those of us watching and cheering from the sidelines.

Give them at least a few weeks to grieve and process their futures.

Ultimately though there is no need for another Chief Creative Officer, at least not for PROTF.  The Creative Officers work is really heavy in the conceptual phase and peters out to an advisor once the coders fingers hit the keyboard.  As prolific as Brad was to the public I am certain internally he was orders of magnitude more prolific so they team has most of his vision to refer to as questions come up.  I would not put it past him to have already mapped out the first 10 content expansions at least from a creative standpoint.

Where we will miss him most is his solutions to unexpected problems and perhaps responding to emergent gameplay that was never anticipated.  Even then I think we could guess many of his responses.

Either way, go gently on the team.  The have lost someone special to their daily lives in a most abrupt and painful manner.

I did not intend for this post to be an attack on the team.   *sincere* If it's being taken that way, I would not mind a bit if the moderators delete this post altogether.

• 88 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:47 AM PST

There is nothing insensitive about asking the questions. We're all here because of Brad's vision. The team at VR is here because they also adored and embraced Brad's vision. It's only logical that people worry about the completion of Pantheon moving forward and it's only logical that people want to see Pantheon's completion and potential fully realized since it is the last game with Brad's marking on it that they'll ever play. After Pantheon comes and goes, there may never be another world and team of developers which are able to comprehend and implement this vision. This may be our last chance. I'm sure the team at VR is already aware of the burden of expectations this places on their shoulders because that burden already existed on them from day 1 of Pantheon's development. The team at VR are the new torchbearers.

There is no better reason in human existence to make Pantheon a game that will revolutionize the genre once again. Brad's work in the past did that, the genre needs it, and Brad's vision is one of the few which can do it.

It is sad for me that Brad never got to see the full potential of his vision realized, and I hope he manages to do that in passing. I hope Pantheon is the game to do it.

Love you guys at VR, and see you later Brad.

And VR, never be afraid to ask us, your community, for help or our thoughts.

This post was edited by Haseno at November 20, 2019 8:50 AM PST
    • 220 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:50 AM PST

:(

• 1247 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:55 AM PST

This is in his honor, let’s fulfill it. I am really going to miss him. 

• 520 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:56 AM PST

Devs are aware that this question lingers in minds of many people and I'm positive that they'll release the statement as soon as they'll have an answer.

As stated it's way too soon.

• 671 posts
    November 20, 2019 9:02 AM PST

Yes, it is too soon and very disresptful.

Obvious is obvious and a Visionary Realm's statement with be forthcomming. But our loss of Brad, will not stiffle the Development Team & Community Brad built around himself. I've been here since kickstarter (5+ years now?) and Pantheon as a game/investment won't be hindered by his loss, so there is no need for you to request anything. Visionary Realms and surrounding community members have upheld the tenets of Brad's vision. We are all here because of him.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is now an ode to him. People will work harder for to honor his Vision. 

This post was edited by Hieromonk at November 20, 2019 9:04 AM PST
    • 6 posts
    November 20, 2019 9:06 AM PST

The passing of Brad has been heavy on my mind since I heard the news last night.  I have thought about everything from the memories of playing EQ for 12+ years, to saying a prayer for his family and co workers.  I have also thought about what will happen with his final dream.  I am optimistic that his dream will be completed.  I agree, this is early to ask for any statement regarding the direction of the company and game.  I ultimately hope that this dream doesn't end with Brad's passing.  We will all always remember Brad, and I surely hope he is memorialized in this game for the rest of eternity.

That being said, us fans should do a pledge / fund drive and get this dream completed.  I will be doubling my donation, possilbly trippling my pledge in honor of Brads legacy, as well as helping get his dream completed. 

Rest in peace Brad, you have touched the lives, memories, and hearts of MILLIONS of gamers.  You will never be forgotten.

This post was edited by Trummy22 at November 20, 2019 9:19 AM PST
    • 523 posts
    November 20, 2019 9:14 AM PST

They already made a statement dude.  Halfway down in this thread.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/11317/in-response-to-the-news-about-brad

The entire team is devastated by this tragic loss. However, it is a team, fully committed to the passion project of Pantheon, which could never have been completed by one person.

Brad's vision has imbued and driven the heart of this game, and inhabits every aspect of its essence.
    His family has already given it's blessing for the Pantheon family to carry on, and so it shall.

The team is working on the upcoming video newsletter for November.
    Saddened but not diminished.
    Brasse

• 17 posts
    November 20, 2019 9:17 AM PST

Mathir said:

They already made a statement dude.  Halfway down in this thread.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/11317/in-response-to-the-news-about-brad

The entire team is devastated by this tragic loss. However, it is a team, fully committed to the passion project of Pantheon, which could never have been completed by one person.

Brad's vision has imbued and driven the heart of this game, and inhabits every aspect of its essence.
    His family has already given it's blessing for the Pantheon family to carry on, and so it shall.

The team is working on the upcoming video newsletter for November.
    Saddened but not diminished.
    Brasse

Thank you for highlighting this post.  I missed it because it was a reply, and I was searching for a message as a standalone topic, even a locked one.

• 17 posts
    November 20, 2019 9:27 AM PST

Trummy22 said:

The passing of Brad has been heavy on my mind since I heard the news last night.  I have thought about everything from the memories of playing EQ for 12+ years, to saying a prayer for his family and co workers.  I have also thought about what will happen with his final dream.  I am optimistic that his dream will be completed.  I agree, this is early to ask for any statement regarding the direction of the company and game.  I ultimately hope that this dream doesn't end with Brad's passing.  We will all always remember Brad, and I surely hope he is memorialized in this game for the rest of eternity.

That being said, once we know the direction of things after VR releases a statement,  us fans should do a pledge / fund drive and get this dream completed.  I will be doubling my donation, possilbly trippling my pledge in honor of Brads legacy, as well as helping get his dream completed. 

Rest in peace Brad, you have touched the lives, memories, and hearts of MILLIONS of gamers.  You will never be forgotten.

Thank you for saying this because it better expresses my intentions.  I saw the posts calling for further support, and I want to, but am unsure of the impact of this loss to the state of the company and the team.  I am ready to redouble my support, but want to be sure of the cohesion of the company in the absence of such an important member--also, emotionally, I was left thinking this morning "what now?" That thought is likely due to my ignorance in the state of the company, hence my question.  To anyone reading, sorry if I offended.  I am not one of those supporters who believes that they are entitled to know everything about the workings of a private company, but I thought it was a pertinent question, especially in the rousing calls to redouble support.  That's all.

• 1428 posts
    November 20, 2019 11:07 AM PST

i'm presumptious here,

but i think the team has been dealing with this for a while now.  when the game was in the kicksstarter, there was lots of communication and everyone appeared upbeat.

recently, the communication dwindled and everybody sounds tired or something else on their minds.

if i had to guess, it's probably cancer from maybe 1-2 years ago.  don't quote me on this as it's just an assumption.  i've personally witness the affect this has around people and seen enough life and death struggles.

brad seems to be very thorough so he's probably already laid a guide post on how to move forward.  hence, the commitment to do bi weekly streams.  if i was a betting man, things have been already realized and there is no need to worry about succession.  it's already done.

he'd probably wants the community to talk about the game and to help propagate it vs mourn his death.

i have great respect, appreciate vr for the inform and understand people view death in different ways.

anyways, rejoice pantheon community and celebrate brad's life and move forward.

• 9115 posts
    November 20, 2019 2:22 PM PST

I appreciate the interest and know that we give our heartfelt thanks to you all for the outpouring of support as we reflect and share how Brad's creative passion has changed your lives. We stand together, committed to honoring his legacy and fulfilling his vision for Pantheon. #worldsnotgames

Chris "Joppa" Perkins is the Creative Director and has, like all of us on the team, been working closely with Brad and his Pantheon vision for the last 5 years, we have Brad's families blessing to continue on building Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen in his name and we will do our very best to make Brad and you guys proud. 

• 17 posts
    November 20, 2019 3:22 PM PST

Kilsin said:

I appreciate the interest and know that we give our heartfelt thanks to you all for the outpouring of support as we reflect and share how Brad's creative passion has changed your lives. We stand together, committed to honoring his legacy and fulfilling his vision for Pantheon. #worldsnotgames

Chris "Joppa" Perkins is the Creative Director and has, like all of us on the team, been working closely with Brad and his Pantheon vision for the last 5 years, we have Brad's families blessing to continue on building Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen in his name and we will do our very best to make Brad and you guys proud. 

I have no doubt that the team will do its utmost to honor Brad's vision for the game.  Thank you for your response, and I will look forward to the upcoming newsletter for more information.  I am sure that this time will allow you to process this loss, but yet continue toward the ultimate goal of why all of us visit these forums nearly everyday.  Again, I truly meant no disrespect in my request, and am sorry if any was taken.

• 1247 posts
    November 20, 2019 4:07 PM PST

@Kilsin Thank you 

• 1019 posts
    November 21, 2019 5:22 AM PST

Kilsin said:

• 3852 posts
    November 21, 2019 7:52 AM PST

I have no doubt that the VR team has the ability to continue on. My main concerns were:

1. Would there be any intellectual property issues. Not knowing how these were set up or if VR actually owned all of them this was a real concern. My assumption was that there would be no problems - after all the only likely value of the IP is if the game *is* completed and released - but one can never be sure. Kilsin's comment above as well as Brasse's earlier one are reassuring.

2. Would there be any falling away of either existing investors or potential ones. Investment contracts have been known to have "bailout" provisions for the passing of critical persons. I hope this too is not an issue for existing investors - bailing would essentially mean writing off what they have already spent - but any business person is familiar with the need to sometimes cut one's losses. Potential investors may be reassured by VR but even so this development can hardly be considered *good* news. 

Thus assurances that the project has not been thrown off-track financially will be welcome. 

• 1019 posts
    November 21, 2019 9:53 AM PST

dorotea said:

Potential investors may be reassured by VR but even so this development can hardly be considered *good* news. 

Thus assurances that the project has not been thrown off-track financially will be welcome. 

Agreed. 

• 70 posts
    November 21, 2019 10:12 AM PST

Luckily for everyone, Brad laid bare his game design soul for all to see over the years, in crafting and proving with that crafting precisely why a game world becomes legendary and unforgettable in our memories.

We know it works because we have the benefit of history and hindsight. Be happy that we have that legacy of genius to study and continue from.

Brad took his own risk vs reward gamble in sticking to his principles. Without him, we might still be simply asking "Gee, I wonder what a game that is purposely difficult requiring socialization, complimentary codependence on others and making you earn every scrap would be like. Oh well, I guess we may never know." in 2019.

Well, we do know. Because of Brad.