Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Languages and servers

• 520 posts
    November 20, 2019 2:39 AM PST

As far as I know, Pantheon will be translated into several languages - I hope this means that  in-game text can be changed in the options, but there won't be dedicated servers for certain languages. I'm not english native speaker, but I've learned english through gaming (and watching TV) - I hope that I'll be able to meet, listen to and hopefuly after some time even chat a little with other nationalities when I'll feel like it. Dedicated servers would diminish in a major way number of other languges spoken in "international" servers.

What would YOU rather have? A server in which people speak only with a certain language OR multilingual one?

• 291 posts
    November 20, 2019 5:00 AM PST

Multi language. I think itd be awesome if the game translated everyones language into whatever language the client prefered (so we could all communicate freely), I do also however have interest in being required to learn in game languages between races for role play purposes on those types of servers.

• 220 posts
    November 21, 2019 5:45 AM PST

i like to hear Japaness voice acting but read in english text it just fits the game perfectly....

i watched Naruto Japan version and it fit the voice acting perfectly personality wise. Then i heard the US version was coming out soon....

i had bad experience since i was introduced to Naruto (US version Japanese Anime) the main character was so cringy and sponky, up beat like personality it just killed me inside..

If PRotF have Japanese audio with english texts it would destroy any mmo i have on my hard drive hands down

if its all english im cool with that also but perferably i would like Japaness voice audio to english text

• 793 posts
    November 21, 2019 7:06 AM PST

The problem with auto-translation is that it is not completely accurate, and dialects and slangs can really alter the output which could be offensive if translated improperly, a situation that the game company may want to avoid.

This post was edited by Fulton at November 21, 2019 10:12 AM PST
    • 228 posts
    November 26, 2019 6:51 AM PST

I really hope there will be no audio speech at all. Not by NPCs and not by PCs.

Let all built-in communication be textual, and one language per server.

I'm in Denmark, but I will definitely want to join an international server where everybody speaks enough English to bond and party together.

This post was edited by Jabir at November 26, 2019 6:55 AM PST
    • 2756 posts
    November 26, 2019 8:03 AM PST

I'm all for the game text being translated into as many languages as possible.

As for audio/voice, I think LOTRO did this excellently.  NPCs would mostly have very small 'flavour' audio speech when you first 'click' them - a simple greeting or mood expression - and this would be in *their* language: Elvish, Dwarfish, Orcish and, yes, common, which just so happens to be English, *but* since it is just for flavour it doesn't matter that it's English for common any more than hearing Elvish, Dwarfish or Orcish.

After the initial immersive greeting, everything would be local language in text.

If there are cut-scene vids or whatever, please don't waste money on multi-language voice-overs.  I'm English and even if you choose Swedish or something as your main video language, just use subtitles for English and everything else.  Dubbed multi-language stuff is always terrible.

The tricky issue is the language that players use in communication.  Communication and community is obviously key in an MMO, but do you segregate players to ensure their community speaks their first language or do you allow everyone to mix and use common sense?

Having just played Classic WoW for a while, there is definitely an issue. To be honest it's also confusing. I think now most servers are designated English language, but there are also some German and French.

The problem is servers are European regarding location and, so, Spanish (for example) players are typing in Spanish and English players often complain about the 'spam' in text.  Whilst it's hardly normal 'spam' it certainly has a similar effect, ie. a load of stuff that makes no sense to you drowns out the stuff you might want to read.

I think this could probably be resolved by the game setting up language channels you can opt in and out of and people being directed to use the appropriate language in the appropriate channel.

In summary: Anyone can log in from anywhere, to anywhere. They choose a primary language (so the game can set up default channels) but other language channels can be opted for in addition or instead. Game cinematics pick a language (yes, english is easiest) and use subtitles. Game text should be in chosen primary language (change may require downloading more language files).