Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In One Word - Your thoughts on character

• 768 posts
    November 25, 2019 10:39 PM PST

short term value

Although they can feel as if you can create a unique character at the start assigning those attribute points.. in the long term these few points will most likely lose their meaning. And what used to provide the player with a unique and different feel with their starting character, this deliberate player's choice will become vague or it's impact lessened.

UNLESS they are percentage based and they remain valueable and meaningful. Who says that an attribute point has to be a round number and not a % ? 

The mechanic of assigning attribute points might even just provide actual %'s increases lasting till the resigning of the character itself.

• 454 posts
    November 25, 2019 11:50 PM PST

Id like the ability to customize my character at creation.  Say each character started with 

Stamina

Agility

Dexterity

Strength

Charisma

Wisdom

Intelligence

I say let each character start with a maximum of 10 points in each characteristic, with a total of 60.  Not 70. The minimum in each characteristic is 6.  Different amounts in each Characteristic in each race as makes sense to VR.  Then let me add seven points, into any characteristic, including all seven in one category if I want.  Then I'd say give each character get an additional point every 25 levels.  Thus there is the chance for some real customization.  Thus an Ogre starts with 10 strength.  A Gnome May start with 6 strength.  But the player that wants a Gnome warrior can add 7 to strength for a total of 13.   Fun stuff.

This post was edited by Questaar at November 26, 2019 12:06 AM PST
    • 39 posts
    November 26, 2019 9:22 AM PST

Drivers.

I really really enjoy systems where character attributes/skills can be raised independently from (or in conjuction with) boosts from gear. This lets each player build their character as they see fit, rather than forcing each class to go for "bis" gear. BIS gear has always been a whitewashing method at the detriment of considering a characters skills/attributes as possible points of customization/growth as well.

This post was edited by DakmorKavu at November 26, 2019 9:26 AM PST
    • 39 posts
    November 26, 2019 9:25 AM PST

Questaar said:

Id like the ability to customize my character at creation.  Say each character started with 

Stamina

Agility

Dexterity

Strength

Charisma

Wisdom

Intelligence

I say let each character start with a maximum of 10 points in each characteristic, with a total of 60.  Not 70. The minimum in each characteristic is 6.  Different amounts in each Characteristic in each race as makes sense to VR.  Then let me add seven points, into any characteristic, including all seven in one category if I want.  Then I'd say give each character get an additional point every 25 levels.  Thus there is the chance for some real customization.  Thus an Ogre starts with 10 strength.  A Gnome May start with 6 strength.  But the player that wants a Gnome warrior can add 7 to strength for a total of 13.   Fun stuff.

This was basically exactly what Asherons Call did. You had 6 attributes that could start at max 100, or min 10. Different ones impacted different skills or things like health/mana/stamina. Players could fully then allocate 330 points any way they wanted. Did this mean you could make the worlds wost wizard with 100 strength and 0 int/wis? Absolutely. Did it mean you could make characters who were a splash of everything? Definitely. Could the min maxers still optimize for 1 thing? You betcha. It was a great system

• 103 posts
    November 26, 2019 1:34 PM PST
    Progress.
    • 1247 posts
    November 28, 2019 2:06 PM PST

dorotea said:

Low.

Yes, very true. Good point :)

• 6 posts
    November 28, 2019 4:12 PM PST

arazons said:

Meaningful

This is my answer. It needs to have some impact. I'd rather have less where each point does more, than needing to dump several points for a notable impact. Same for spells and talents.

Now, character appearance... load me up lol.

EDIT: To expand on that thought, I like what some games do where low attribute points have an impact just like high attributes. Or where skills morph and evolve in a tree (adds damage to a skill, changes the type of damage or attribute used, becomes multiple target skill rather than one target, etc.) rather than adding more and more talents. 

This post was edited by twizbuck at November 28, 2019 4:23 PM PST
    • 40 posts
    November 28, 2019 11:16 PM PST

Worthwhile

• 231 posts
    November 29, 2019 9:38 AM PST

Nephele said:

I find myself in agreement with both dorotea and Vandraad.

Me too. The general concept, anyway.

• 18 posts
    November 29, 2019 5:15 PM PST
    Pointless

These one word topics are pointless.
    • 1618 posts
    November 29, 2019 6:09 PM PST

sidis said: Pointless These one word topics are pointless.

And yet, here you are.

Yes, they are pointless. But, apparently, none of us have anything better to do. So, here we are.

As far as stats, I am hoping for meaningful choices as we level, quest, or practice. Besides stat progression through gear, I would like to see stat progression on our characters, through accomplishments  or training.

This post was edited by Beefcake at November 29, 2019 6:11 PM PST
    • 145 posts
    November 29, 2019 7:19 PM PST
    Addtribute
    • 217 posts
    November 30, 2019 2:15 AM PST

Bacon-

they have to:

-have flavor

-be addictive

-make you feel good in utilizing them

-have synergistic effects on other things (makes everything taste better)

-meaningful but not the whole meal

• 90 posts
    December 2, 2019 7:16 AM PST

Stats should play a huge roll and the smallest gain should have noticable improvments. 

• 70 posts
    December 4, 2019 4:49 AM PST

Useless

But I probably have to explain that. Usually there is only one optimal way to put your attribute points in. For example Strenth for Melee damage, Constitustion Agility for absorption, Int for casters and wisdom for Priest. Why have the players decide what attribute to choose. If you choose the wrong one you screw up your character. So everyone chooses the most optimal attributes for their character and end they up the same anyway.

Before you flame me..think about it.

• 1019 posts
    December 4, 2019 5:27 AM PST

The more the better.

I know, eventually everyone goes with X class and assisgns stats in a very particular fashion, but leave us the choices in there.  

• 520 posts
    December 4, 2019 8:15 AM PST

Qulash said:

Useless

But I probably have to explain that. Usually there is only one optimal way to put your attribute points in. For example Strenth for Melee damage, Constitustion Agility for absorption, Int for casters and wisdom for Priest. Why have the players decide what attribute to choose. If you choose the wrong one you screw up your character. So everyone chooses the most optimal attributes for their character and end they up the same anyway.

Before you flame me..think about it.

That is not a case in Pantheon - Strength and Constitution will affect Wizard spells almost (certain attributes are more connected to a class that others - as it should be) as much as Intelligence.

• 70 posts
    December 5, 2019 3:46 AM PST

Hegenox said:

That is not a case in Pantheon - Strength and Constitution will affect Wizard spells almost (certain attributes are more connected to a class that others - as it should be) as much as Intelligence.

I am glad to hear that, but it does not tackle the problem of just one optimal build.

• 520 posts
    December 5, 2019 4:37 AM PST

Qulash said:

Hegenox said:

I am glad to hear that, but it does not tackle the problem of just one optimal build.

It does so at the very beginning - when people will experiment and try to find out "best build" for a class. It's impossible to avoid having "optimal" builds when it comes down to attributes, gear and cappable skills. The only way to differentiate end game chars from the same class from one another (that comes to my mind atm) would be having abilities that gain expirience and levels as we use them (with no cap on them) - so medium level buffer dedicated to help everyone could have potentially stronger buffs than end game buffer who were buffing only his party along the way.

• 79 posts
    December 5, 2019 9:12 AM PST

Atomic

Keep it small but powerful.  I get tired of the over inflated numbers that expansions bring.

• 3852 posts
    December 5, 2019 4:57 PM PST

Duplicate post - sorry.

This post was edited by dorotea at December 5, 2019 8:11 PM PST