Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Computer Upgrades

• 62 posts
    November 9, 2019 12:17 PM PST
    Anyone planning or aligning their PC upgrades for Pantheon? I know the release could be year(s) away, but I will be holding off on upgrades until we get closer to alpha, beta, or launch. Hey, at least the parts will be cheaper!

My current build is pretty ancient, but still respectable. I've been slowly upgrading other components that won't age such as a case, mechanical keyboard, and I just ordered an IPS 2K monitor. I can't wait to see Pantheon on it!
    • 500 posts
    November 9, 2019 5:10 PM PST

My current build is only a couple of years old, and should last me a few more before I need to upgrade.  I thought about upgrading to an 2080ti from my 1080ti, but just don't see that it would really offer much improvement with todays games.  All in all I feel I will be able to run PRotF at max settings with 60+fps once the game is fully optimized.

• 1860 posts
    November 9, 2019 7:10 PM PST

I'll be building a new machine.  Have been waiting for about 5 years now.  I think it will be a long way off still.  A 2080ti will likely be a midgrade card by the time I decide to pull the trigger.  

• 633 posts
    November 10, 2019 4:30 AM PST

I'm currently holding out until closer to Pantheon release to upgrade me and my wife's computers.  The current computer I'm running is almost 6 years old at this point and does everything I need fine, so I can wait until the game is close to release at this point.

• 844 posts
    November 10, 2019 11:26 AM PST

good decision, as it could be many years still.

• 844 posts
    November 10, 2019 11:27 AM PST

Unless you play lot's of other games of course.

I have been full 4K for years and love it.

• 62 posts
    November 10, 2019 4:35 PM PST

Grymmlocke said:

My current build is only a couple of years old, and should last me a few more before I need to upgrade.  I thought about upgrading to an 2080ti from my 1080ti, but just don't see that it would really offer much improvement with todays games.  All in all I feel I will be able to run PRotF at max settings with 60+fps once the game is fully optimized.

philo said:

I'll be building a new machine.  Have been waiting for about 5 years now.  I think it will be a long way off still.  A 2080ti will likely be a midgrade card by the time I decide to pull the trigger.  

2080ti, that's a monster.  I have to remind myself to loosen the purse strings with the gpu.  I love the Super line that Nvidia released recently.  I had the 2060 Super or 2070 Super in mind, which would be comparable to a 2070 and 2080 respectively.

• 62 posts
    November 10, 2019 4:44 PM PST

kelenin said:

I'm currently holding out until closer to Pantheon release to upgrade me and my wife's computers.  The current computer I'm running is almost 6 years old at this point and does everything I need fine, so I can wait until the game is close to release at this point.

I'm in a similar boat, with my system around 7 years old.  I did refresh the cpu and gpu a few years ago though which breathed some new life back into the ole thing.  It also scratched my upgrade itch a bit.

zewtastic said:

Unless you play lot's of other games of course.

I have been full 4K for years and love it.

Nothing major and also nothing bleeding edge graphically.  4K that's awesome.  I'm sure 2K will suffice for me - I'll just make sure not to view any 4K games in person :).  

• 2 posts
    November 20, 2019 9:24 AM PST

philo said:

2080ti will never be mid range. Video cards dont work that way. When a new chip comes out the entire line will be replaced. You may see a 3060  3070  3080 (depending if they stay with the same number system).  2080ti will still be expensive. More so than the 3060 that would most likely match it in performance. These are not real cards they are hypothetical.

• 31 posts
    December 31, 2019 10:08 PM PST

I just signed up for a one year cloud comptuter subscription with shadow.tech, in lieu of purchasing a new computer. There is also a no contract monthly price if you are interested in trying it out. Works on tablet, pc, android 4k tv's. It's basically a windows 10 computer in the cloud with high end GPU's that support the most demanding games. The first 8000 sign ups can subscribe for 12.95 a month for one year. It's 24.99 after for everyone afterward.

This post was edited by SyriusNorthstar at December 31, 2019 10:13 PM PST
    • 520 posts
    January 1, 2020 4:25 AM PST

I've upgraded my PC quite recently in order to play The Witcher 3, so I'll probably be fine for next couple of years. I may add RAM or  upgrade Graphic Card in the meanwhile, but I'd guess that such need would be dictated by other games more (not becouse I would want to play them more, but strictly from requirements perspective).

• 1860 posts
    January 1, 2020 10:50 AM PST

Imgrunk said:

philo said:

2080ti will never be mid range. Video cards dont work that way. When a new chip comes out the entire line will be replaced. You may see a 3060  3070  3080 (depending if they stay with the same number system).  2080ti will still be expensive. More so than the 3060 that would most likely match it in performance. These are not real cards they are hypothetical.

What?  No one said anything about cost.  A 980ti is currently a very mid range graphics card (some would say lower end at this point).  The discussion was about performance.

To say a 2080ti will never be a mid range card is foolish.  Understand that performance is what was being referenced...

This post was edited by philo at January 1, 2020 10:54 AM PST
    • 62 posts
    January 10, 2020 3:13 PM PST

SyriusNorthstar said:

I just signed up for a one year cloud comptuter subscription with shadow.tech, in lieu of purchasing a new computer. There is also a no contract monthly price if you are interested in trying it out. Works on tablet, pc, android 4k tv's. It's basically a windows 10 computer in the cloud with high end GPU's that support the most demanding games. The first 8000 sign ups can subscribe for 12.95 a month for one year. It's 24.99 after for everyone afterward.

Interesting.  That's akin to what Google Stadia is doing, no?

• 62 posts
    January 10, 2020 3:17 PM PST

Hegenox said:

I've upgraded my PC quite recently in order to play The Witcher 3, so I'll probably be fine for next couple of years. I may add RAM or  upgrade Graphic Card in the meanwhile, but I'd guess that such need would be dictated by other games more (not becouse I would want to play them more, but strictly from requirements perspective).

Very nice.  I have a dusty Witcher 3 for PS4, but was debating getting it on PC. 

Contrary to earlier post, I caved in during Black Friday and upgraded my whole computer x_X.  I blame reddit /buildapcsales.

• 1273 posts
    January 10, 2020 3:54 PM PST

The first computer I owned I bought in 1996 so it was 3 years old when EQ came out (but still worked for EQ).  A few months into playing EQ I built a good new computer.  That is the computer I'm using today lol.  I've changed video cards twice, upgraded RAM a few times, but this thing is like 20 years old.  I've been holding out for the next good MMO before I build a new computer.