Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In One Word - How do you feel about

• 9115 posts
    November 4, 2019 4:00 AM PST

In One Word - How do you feel about in-game experience boosts? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 3 posts
    November 4, 2019 4:06 AM PST

Against.

• 13 posts
    November 4, 2019 4:17 AM PST
    Against.
    • 197 posts
    November 4, 2019 4:28 AM PST

Pathetic

• 1315 posts
    November 4, 2019 4:35 AM PST

Strategic

(Less rested bonus or abonimable consumables more group/challenge rating bonus or bonus for moving around rather than camping one specific spot)

• 724 posts
    November 4, 2019 4:41 AM PST

Unneccessary

(In my experience, most of the time leveling time is already shorter than I want. Sometimes I actually missed a way to stop gaining experience at all. The only situation in which a boost would be useful would be for leveling the n-th alt, in a game with only one leveling path. Something I do not think Pantheon will be :)

• 3237 posts
    November 4, 2019 4:51 AM PST

Contextual

• 1315 posts
    November 4, 2019 5:11 AM PST

oneADseven said:

Contextual

ohh good one 187

• 1019 posts
    November 4, 2019 5:22 AM PST

Strongly against.  The introduction of pots ruined EQ2 for me.

• 107 posts
    November 4, 2019 6:01 AM PST
    Dubious.
    • 3852 posts
    November 4, 2019 6:02 AM PST

Ambivilant. Contextual is a much better word but it was taken.

Nothing that can be bought - ever and under any circumstances. 

A rested experience bonus - that isn't too large - maybe.

A small bonus for certain activities e.g. festivals just to encourage people to try them - just a token amount - maybe.

A small bonus for "alts" after hitting maximum level with one character - to encourage people to keep playing in a game that may not focus on any "endgame" - maybe. Like EQ2 but a smaller percentage.

• 2138 posts
    November 4, 2019 6:05 AM PST

Unecessary.

In games where leveling is vertical and are heavily oriented towards end-game content, in-game experience boosts help those who want to level alts quickly so they can participate in the end-game content, thats fine.

Personally I am in favor of players needing to learn their class from level 1 and onward with the steps along the way being important to learning the class.

• 291 posts
    November 4, 2019 6:14 AM PST

Perhaps much later on in the games life when newer players want to catch up the top end. We are otherwise against them. We are even dubious about the 2% gain humans get. Dont wanna see a world full of humans (already there).

• 500 posts
    November 4, 2019 6:25 AM PST

Opposed.

• 3237 posts
    November 4, 2019 6:33 AM PST

If we're talking about XP pots, level boosts, and other stuff like that then yeah, 100% opposed.  Many of us are accustomed to a "relative con system" that provides an XP bonus based on the level disparity between a player and NPC.  XP bonuses aren't inherently bad as long as they align with the game tenets, particularly:

-  A commitment to a style of play that focuses on immersive combat, and engaging group mechanics.

-  An understanding that a truly challenging game is truly rewarding.

-  An expectation that with greater risk will come greater reward.

-  An understanding that player involvement is required for progression.  All actions (or lack thereof) should have consequences.  Positive actions should be rewarded. Apathy or lack of action should not be rewarded with bonuses

-  A sincere commitment to creating a world where a focus on cooperative play will attract those seeking a challenge.

-  A belief that the greatest sense of accomplishment comes when it is shared - and earned.

FFXI had the best bonus system of any MMO I have played, by far, and also had a really long level progression curve.  (It took a year plus for most players to hit max level.)  As long as the inclusion of a performance-based bonus is factored into the overall leveling curve, they can be used to slow leveling down rather than speeding it up.  I would love to see something similar in Pantheon.

This post was edited by oneADseven at November 4, 2019 6:38 AM PST
    • 1404 posts
    November 4, 2019 6:47 AM PST

oneADseven said:

If we're talking about XP pots, level boosts, and other stuff like that then yeah, 100% opposed.  Many of us are accustomed to a "relative con system" that provides an XP boost based on the level disparity between a player and NPC.  XP bonuses aren't inherently bad as long as they align with the game tenets, particularly:

-  A commitment to a style of play that focuses on immersive combat, and engaging group mechanics.

-  An understanding that a truly challenging game is truly rewarding.

-  An expectation that with greater risk will come greater reward.

-  An understanding that player involvement is required for progression.  All actions (or lack thereof) should have consequences.  Positive actions should be rewarded. Apathy or lack of action should not be rewarded with bonuses

-  A sincere commitment to creating a world where a focus on cooperative play will attract those seeking a challenge.

-  A belief that the greatest sense of accomplishment comes when it is shared - and earned.

FFXI had the best bonus system of any MMO I have played, by far, and also had a really long level progression curve.  (It took a year plus for most players to hit max level.)  As long as the inclusion of a bonus is factored into the overall leveling curve, they can be used to slow leveling down rather than speeding it up.  I would love to see something similar in Pantheon.

I'm going to add to TLDR's one word answer with my own. From the Forum Guidelines these "one word" post from Kilsin are soliciting Forum violations. 

12) One word replies such as but not limited to: /thread, Agree, +1, Amen, Same, gg etc

This in effect would make Kils an accomplice to disturbing the peace or some such tomfoolery'

As for the question at hand..

"I Against"

This post was edited by Zorkon at November 4, 2019 6:48 AM PST
    • 3237 posts
    November 4, 2019 6:56 AM PST

The basic idea is to adjust XP rewards to be 30% less than what they would normally be, but then allow players to earn some of that back based on performance metrics.  Simply put, this kind of system slows down leveling and reinforces a variety of game tenets.  It would make leveling up more challenging while also incentivizing group play.  I prefer that over the passive bonus that was given in EQ for simply adding people to your group.  In the end, I would rather see no bonus at all than a free/passive one.  Another way to put it ... consider it an XP penalty that can be mitigated to some degree through good play.  The more difficult it is to level up, the better, IMO.

This post was edited by oneADseven at November 4, 2019 7:21 AM PST
    • 145 posts
    November 4, 2019 7:03 AM PST

nah

• 2419 posts
    November 4, 2019 7:20 AM PST

Kilsin said:

In One Word - How do you feel about in-game experience boosts? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Abhor.

I'll follow that up wth loathe, despise, detest and revile.  Whatever activities I undertake, if I am to earn XP from them it should be the amount I'm supposed to earn from that activity.  No penalties for playing too long, no bonuses for using potions or going there/doing something the first time. It should be the same amount regardless.

This post was edited by Vandraad at November 4, 2019 7:26 AM PST
    • 368 posts
    November 4, 2019 7:24 AM PST

I am all for bonus xp weekends during holidays or something like that, but pay for xp potions/vials not so much.

• 1247 posts
    November 4, 2019 7:24 AM PST

STRONGLYAGAINST is my word.

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels

This post was edited by Syrif at November 8, 2019 6:51 PM PST
    • 173 posts
    November 4, 2019 7:30 AM PST

Nope.

• 216 posts
    November 4, 2019 7:51 AM PST

Eww

• 209 posts
    November 4, 2019 8:37 AM PST

Barf

• 291 posts
    November 4, 2019 8:42 AM PST