Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Interactive Enchants

• 75 posts
    October 15, 2019 11:22 PM PDT

Firstly I just want to say if this has been posted somewhere let me know as keeping up with so many forum topics becomes challenging hehe.

So I was sitting here reading up on crafts and skill trades and I got to thinking. What if in order to enchant your weapons you needed to do things with certain mobs in order to get the enchant the first time around. What I mean is rather than just have X materials and someone can put an enchant on your weapon what if the person doing the enchant put a buff on your weapon then you had to go to a certain mob or mob type to get the rest of the enchant. Example being, you want a fiery enchant that does  X damage on proc. In order to finish the enchant however you need to have say a fire dragon breath fire on you to enchant it fully.

Now obviously this wouldn't be for every single enchant, nor have to be just for weapons. Maybe this is for "end game" enchants or those super rare ones that requires this sort of thing. Idk food for thought. It could be seen as tedious but I think it would add to the "WOW" factor if done right. Seeing someone with that people would know what they had to do to get it. Maybe part of the extreme acclimation as well. Frost weapon may need to be dipped in a special ice cap in the most extreme freezing spots.

Of course idk if VR has confirmed or said anything about enchants even being a thing. Just thought it would be a fun way to make trade skills more immersive and feel more personal.

Cheers

• 520 posts
    October 16, 2019 2:14 AM PDT

This idea reminds me of soulbound items from Pillars of Eternity. If we are talking about permanent enchancements then I wouldn't mind it - esp if we had a choice of the monsters we kill - eg kill 25 specific mobs OR 200 of any mobs. However if we are talking about temporary enchancements then hell no - unless the power gain from such enchancement would be really gamechanging.

• 2756 posts
    October 16, 2019 3:27 AM PDT

Love this idea.  I love the idea, in general, of items that are more than just "fell off a monster - does this".  There was another thread about cursed items that is the same basic idea to me.  Items that need interaction to get the best from them or to remove the worst or even just to discover their nature.

How cool would it be to not even realise you have a Flametongue sword until you get hit by dragon fire and it lights up?!  Very cool, is the answer.

• 520 posts
    October 16, 2019 3:42 AM PDT

disposalist said:

How cool would it be TO NOT EVEN REALISE you have a Flametongue sword UNTIL you get hit by dragon fire and it lights up?!  Very cool, is the answer.

And that idea I like a lot! Hidden or partially hidden upgrade paths for some items -  we could have hints about what to do in  different places - for instance in item description or in some book  that we find deep in a dungeon. And in order to activate the power we'd have to do specific actions like: apply a strong poison on the blade at the place desecrated by ancient evil during fullmoon.

• 223 posts
    October 16, 2019 5:54 AM PDT

I love this Idea, items could also have enchantments or "recharges" be done in specific areas giving a reason to have to venture into old dungeons or areas.

• 75 posts
    October 16, 2019 7:33 AM PDT

Hegenox said:

This idea reminds me of soulbound items from Pillars of Eternity. If we are talking about permanent enchancements then I wouldn't mind it - esp if we had a choice of the monsters we kill - eg kill 25 specific mobs OR 200 of any mobs. However if we are talking about temporary enchancements then hell no - unless the power gain from such enchancement would be really gamechanging.

No I'm thinking more along the lines of permanent when completed. I think if VR adds kill 25 skellies then 100 then 200 and you get +5 towards undead would lean more towards "bane" on your weapons which if done right would give people reason to grind certain mobs over and over.

As far as enchanting I like what people below us are saying and to add to that a better example would be something like this:

Someone is going to enchant your weapon right and to get the "Fiery" enchant you needed lets say:

3 Smelted Iron Bars

2 Core Ingots

4 Orbs of Fire

2 Perfect Parchments

1 Breath from a "Lava Dragon"

But let's say the enchant doesn't fully say you need a breath from a Lava Dragon, but instead after the (We'll call them enchanters for now) Enchanter puts the enchant on your weapon maybe you get an emote that goes something like "You're sword (or whatever you have) twitches in the sunlight, perhaps there is more than meets the eye." So now you have a weapon that does something like 30 Fire damage over 10 Seconds when striking enemies (Chance on Hit.) So now you're grouping and for the sake of argument you go to a Fire zone. Maybe you start getting more subtle hints from your weapon. "Your sword strikes down the enemy, smiling. Perhaps something stronger would appease the appetite of your blade." Through shear killing with a group you come across a "Lava Dragon" and you get the emote "Glistening your sword points to this monster, something is at hand here." So now you go and fight this Lava Dragon and during the encounter it breathes fire on you all of a sudden, boom your weapon starts glowing a bright red with deep orange hues of light. Final emote says "At long last your swords potential is released, you now know the full potential of such a magic." You look at your enchant again and now its something like: Chance on hit, deals 90 damage over 6 seconds causes your enemy to writhe in a fiery pain.

Obviously there are 1000 ways to go at this and by no means is mine the best way. But I do think as others have said along with myself it gives more immersion to the game. Rather than looking for someone who can do an enchant and have it enchanted and thats it, this makes it a bit more personal. It gives a reason to go explore. Even when things like this get figured out and they are all over the forums of how to do it and what to kill. It still gives the player a reason to go on that adventure and find their "Lava Dragon".

You know what I miss in games? The feeling of doing something so awesome you can't help but feel excited. So many games give handouts anymore and it takes away from it sadly. I want to feel the excitement of something like this. Having a reason to go somewhere with a group, whether it's figuring this stuff out as we go because the game is new, or knowing exactly why we are going to find a certain mob. There is a sense of accomplishment in it. A sense of recognition by peers of getting crazy things like this. It also helps keep mats staying useful and not just wasted on every weapon to. If you have to go kill a Lava Dragon every single time you want this enchant, I'd be willing to bet you're really gonna be hesitant not to waste all these mats on a simple green. You'll want to wait until you have something truly special before doing so, thus keep mats for enchanters a bit more rare and meaningful.

Again I could go into more depth ideas on how these could be done and I thank you all for the responses so far, I'm happy to see that others like the idea of working towards something and not just a hand out and hopefully see what other ideas may pop up.

Warm Regards,

Tomkins

• October 16, 2019 10:06 AM PDT
    Good ideas here for sure. Potential for adding really interesting stuff for what I assume is a manageable amount of dev resources.

I bet there are more ideas out there that can really make this shine.