Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - What is the best way to get around

• 9115 posts
    October 14, 2019 3:57 AM PDT

Community Debate - What is the best way to get around a zone in your opinion, walk, run, ride, fly, levitate or something else? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 1315 posts
    October 14, 2019 4:10 AM PDT

The simple answer is “The fastest way possible”

The more complex answer is “The fastest way possible that will not get me killed or have me miss seeing content that I want”

Now its your job to give me a reason to slow down and get off the beaten path, hopefully at a movement penalty vs the path.

• 223 posts
    October 14, 2019 4:21 AM PDT

Invisible on a mount, flying is cool but you can sometimes not see spawns or other interesting things along the way, next would be like old eq bard runs, now those whre fun with company.

• 70 posts
    October 14, 2019 4:50 AM PDT

Define Best

The fatest way is a 'gate' or 'portal'

When travelling there is danger. But if you outrun everything, the danger is gone and it just takes time and it gets boring. My gaming experience will not be the best. Might as well use portals or gate's

If I am walking everything is faster than me and I have to fight, if I run I get tired but at least I can outrun some evil turtles, if I am riding a quick horse, wolves should be quicker, One bite and I fall of the horse and I have to fight and If i am flying a griffon, dragons are quicker and falling down is not something to ignore, beware fightis in the sky and the weather might be an issue too. Putting danger in my travels will make the travel experience better.

Still there are times as you want to make a quick group at a dungeon and  as an example, the cleric has to travel longways. Any delays while travelling at that time are an annoyance. The cleric has trouble getting to the dungeon and the other five are bored waiting. The best travel experience would be the fastest, maybe someone else has a better idea 

• 1584 posts
    October 14, 2019 5:38 AM PDT

knowledge

• 624 posts
    October 14, 2019 5:55 AM PDT

Drumming/running, preferably with a syncopated rhythm to remind you that exploration is gold.

• 521 posts
    October 14, 2019 6:57 AM PDT

Riding a mount, Both fast and stylish.

• 1618 posts
    October 14, 2019 7:05 AM PDT

Levitation. I remember loving mountainous zones or zones with big hills in EQ. I would levitate and run to a peak and then just walk in the sky above the rest of the zone.

• 1785 posts
    October 14, 2019 7:25 AM PDT

For me, personally?  Walking.

I only sprint/ride/fly/teleport/whatever when I have other people waiting on me, generally.

• 2419 posts
    October 14, 2019 8:14 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - What is the best way to get around a zone in your opinion, walk, run, ride, fly, levitate or something else? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Whatever matches best to the situation. There isn't, and won't ever be, a single best method of moving around.  It is wholly dependent upon the topography, the creatures present, what abilities they have (see invis) and the danger they present to you.  You might need any one or combination of 1) Run speed buff;  2) Levitate; 3) Invisibility/Invisibility to Undead;  4) Enduring Breath; 5) See invisible; 6)Infravision/Ultravision, etc.

• 1428 posts
    October 14, 2019 9:28 AM PDT

black cadillacs baby ;D

i forget to elaborate:

its teh the most immersive method of soaking in the environment.  like going on a hike or a walk, i notice and see things i've might have miss when i was on a bike or in a car.  the smell giving me +1 to wisdom, that crappy heat debuff reducing my dexterity or that bird chirping as is it does a poop flyby -1 to charisma.

more interesting things happens.  i forget to mention the dirty pvp rogue sneaking up on me for a gank.  yea he's gonna get it.  charm his donkey off a cliff.

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at October 14, 2019 9:38 AM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    October 14, 2019 11:26 AM PDT

I think a lot of people are jumping straight to the long distance travel answer when the question said "get around a zone" though I suppose it depends how big a zone is in Pantheon.

So the answer is definitely "it depends".

Also "get around a zone" could mean "avoid the zone" or it could mean "explore the zone".  Are we exploring for the first time?  Are we trying to get to a particular point?  Are we in a hurry for a good reason?  Are we in great danger in this zone?  Etc, etc, and so even "best" is not clear.  Best how?  So further "it depends".

We've discussed travel in these forums a lot, but *shrug* what the heck, given the broad possible meanings I'll give you my 'answer to all travel' ideas!

Travel methods shouldn't be a simple time-saving convenience.  Everything in game should be immersive and meaningful.

Running Buffs and Mounts

When in an adventuring situation where character movement is, of course, free, travel should be carefully controlled.  Walking/Running should be the default.  Running buffs like EQ's Spirit of Wolf should be limited (suspended or cancelled) when your are 'encountered' (aggroed).  Mounts, if they exist, should be treated just like a running buff.

Roads

There should be developer defined routes (shod roads, cleared tracks, mountain passes, etc) that make running faster.  Same limitations as running buff.

Routes

There should be stables where mounts can be hired. You choose a destination stable (that you must have 'manually' visited) and the mount runs the route while you watch (can access bags etc).
    You can jump off mid-route.
    There should be a cost associated.

Druid rings, Wizard spires, Caravans and Boats

I put these together because I think they should/could be treated the same way. They would allow travel across large distances and through lands/seas that could be otherwise impossible.
    They are exactly the same as Routes with two exceptions: 1) They are instant between the port and terminus, but 2) They occur on a pre-defined schedule.
    Importantly, *anyone* can use these methods - they are not class restricted.
    There could be quests and tasks to grant access to ports and termini or even each time you travel.
    There should be a cost associated.

Evacuating, Gating and Teleporting

I add these but I don't really consider them as 'travel' and I don't think they should be used that way.
    These should be what the traditional, familiar class-specific abilities become.
    They should be limited to emergency methods of escaping dangerous situations or where you respawn when you die and should not be 'exploitable' to effectively be used for content skipping and short-cutting the other travel methods.
    You could do this using ideas like making them limited to taking you to a marker you set recently.

I have every faith that VR can include as many interesting ways of getting around as people have ideas, but limit them in clever ways that make the world seem a big, complex and dangerous place.  I don't want to see travel in Pantheon be trivialised and monetised into a taxi service.

This post was edited by disposalist at October 14, 2019 11:34 AM PDT
    • 520 posts
    October 15, 2019 2:38 AM PDT

At the beginning i love to explore every inch of the map/zone so i like to walk/run there and back and so on - possibly with the invisibility spell. Later on whatever way takes me the fastest but at the same time safest  as possible.

• 500 posts
    October 15, 2019 6:21 AM PDT

Agree with @Disposalist 100%... It depends.

• 96 posts
    October 15, 2019 7:51 AM PDT

I enjoyed EQOA's system, which is similar to Wow's as well. It was a ledger system where you could "fast travel" between cities once you've signed a ledger there. I liked this because it gave moments of time for a quick restroom or snack break, which was paramount to grinding or playing longer sessions. As far as in between cities, walking with Spirit of the Wolf was fine and helped make the world seem bigger. Mounts are cool and all, but they can simplify the world too much if not done correctly. I would opt to say no mounts or flying mounts, but flying or "coaching" between cities/towns once you've been there before would suffice in my book. 

Edit to add thoughts about ports: I like the idea of Druids/Wizards having their own way to provide fast travel, and I enjoy Call of the Hero for magicians too. It never seemed to be a big issue or made the world seem too small, even with these abilities when I played EQOA.

tl;dr I liked EQOA's travel system

This post was edited by Neyos at October 15, 2019 7:52 AM PDT
    • 291 posts
    October 15, 2019 11:20 AM PDT

One thing Id love to see reimplemented in pantheon with end game content..... Locked zones. Especially end zones. That require extensive keying to enter... and no 85% BS. Even keyed areas in lower level areas is needed. Other than that bard speed baby!

• 454 posts
    October 15, 2019 11:30 AM PDT

Wandering.  I like to just wander around and explore. I hope that things change around in zones enough so I can keep wandering around.

• 1019 posts
    October 15, 2019 12:40 PM PDT

Paved Roads offer 15% movement bonus while out of combat

Roads/Paths offer 10% movement bonus while out of combat.

• October 16, 2019 10:15 AM PDT
    Walk on paths for sure.
    Horseback on roads in populated areas.
    Roads and paths have purpose, gives meaning to areas of a zone, maintain immersion, and quest givers can use roads for verbal directions instead of a dot on map. Neat!
    • 84 posts
    October 16, 2019 12:31 PM PDT

Spirit Of the Wolf.

• 368 posts
    October 16, 2019 12:40 PM PDT

Kittik said:

This is an interesting concept I could get behind.

Otherwise, on foot (with spirit of the wolf or bard num nums), by boat, or by wizard or druid portals

This post was edited by arazons at October 16, 2019 12:41 PM PDT
    • 103 posts
    October 16, 2019 12:40 PM PDT
    My feet work just fine :)
    • 239 posts
    October 17, 2019 9:29 AM PDT
    Astral projection of course!
    Exploration is on foot.
    Long destination is portals.
    • 2756 posts
    October 17, 2019 2:05 PM PDT

Kittik said:

Yeah I would like something like this - even more of a boost.  Useful *and* immersive.  Encourages meeting people on the road (as they would have in times gone by).

I'm sure there was a game that did this.  Do you know of it?  I can't remember...

This post was edited by disposalist at October 17, 2019 2:05 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    October 17, 2019 2:07 PM PDT

Alyonyah said:

One thing Id love to see reimplemented in pantheon with end game content..... Locked zones. Especially end zones. That require extensive keying to enter... and no 85% BS. Even keyed areas in lower level areas is needed. Other than that bard speed baby!

I'm not sure about keyed zones - I like to go and look even if I die - but I like the idea of inaccessible areas in lower level zones that you might be intreged by but can only access much later in levels.

I think acclimation might be a good soft-ish way of 'keying' zones and areas.