Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Is AoC a scam money grab?

• 844 posts
    October 12, 2019 12:19 PM PDT

Anyone invested in Ashes of Creation? Whats the story there?

• 139 posts
    November 9, 2019 9:44 AM PST

I almost invested in it during Kickstarter but I suddenly realized it didn't have enough to be hyped about. I think the Kickstarter presentation was better over what they've shown since. Such as character models, flora, fauna, graphics, lighting, combat looked better. Anyway, my interest has waned. 

Pantheon has a much better sense of direction where to take the genre. 

I don't believe AoC to be a scam, they'll show the MMO at some point, but I think it will be interesting to see if a gamer can be a creative director and do a good job. 

• 62 posts
    November 9, 2019 12:07 PM PST
    I was vaguely interested in the beginning. After the whole battle royale fiasco and focus on it, I was completely turned off. They stated it was only to test the combat functions, however it still seemed the royale was the real focus (and cash grab along with it). Things may have changed, but I already cut the cord.
    • 20 posts
    November 29, 2019 8:53 PM PST

I feel AoC has already gone the way of Fortnight. Fortnight started as a very interesting and innovative castke siege / defence PvE game. but once hey got a tatse of that Battle Royale sucess, thers no PvE game anymore. AoC will pobably be lost in the "testing system" that is BR 

This post was edited by MushyMel at November 29, 2019 8:54 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 27, 2019 5:57 PM PST

When it was first announced, Steven Sharif made it sound like AoC was going to be heavily influenced by EQ. But as the project grew and more information came out it made it obvious to me that the game was not going to be anything like EQ.

Another MMO in development that is similar to EQ is Saga of Lucimia.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at December 27, 2019 5:58 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    December 28, 2019 3:55 AM PST

I seriously considered AoC - not instead of Pantheon but as something to be interested in while waiting. And on the theory that one of two eggs is more likely to hatch than one of one.

Decided it had too many negatives. Then that battle royale nonsense ended any consideration.

• 1281 posts
    December 28, 2019 4:30 PM PST

You know, that reminds me of something I read about EQ3. About a year ago it leaked out that EQ3 was in development. They said it was a battle royale game that's main competition was Pantheon. I chuckled as it's obviously not. Pretty sure they meant AoC.