Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In One Word - How do you feel about Melee?

• 9115 posts
    October 10, 2019 2:58 AM PDT

In One Word - How do you feel about Melee? (The close combat kind, not a confused crowd) #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 2756 posts
    October 10, 2019 3:32 AM PDT

Before Pantheon?: Stoic

With Pantheon?: Heroic!

(I think Pantheon's melee classes look *so* much more interesting than EQ-like (and even more modern) games)

This post was edited by disposalist at October 10, 2019 3:34 AM PDT
    • 500 posts
    October 10, 2019 4:14 AM PDT

Fun!

• 42 posts
    October 10, 2019 6:16 AM PDT

Yawn

• 103 posts
    October 10, 2019 6:24 AM PDT
    Exciting
    • 2419 posts
    October 10, 2019 6:57 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

In One Word - How do you feel about Melee? (The close combat kind, not a confused crowd) #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Necessary

• 3852 posts
    October 10, 2019 6:58 AM PDT

What Nathos said.

• 441 posts
    October 10, 2019 7:30 AM PDT

faceplant: Being Melee is kinda of the hinge of the team wiping. Melee dies, Healer next and the squishies. 

• 724 posts
    October 10, 2019 7:36 AM PDT

Sharp!

• 12 posts
    October 10, 2019 8:10 AM PDT

BraHn

• 520 posts
    October 10, 2019 8:42 AM PDT

Melee is quite a broad term - it consists of tanks (HEROES with boring playstyle), (completely bland) "weapon masters" as well as (very entertaining and hard to master) glass cannon rogues. I usually stay away from melee classes (sometimes I decide to play roguish type - esp in TES). But one word for all of them? I'll repeat Vandraad and go with ...

necessary

• 223 posts
    October 10, 2019 11:09 AM PDT

Engaging

• 388 posts
    October 10, 2019 10:42 PM PDT

Drizzt 

i want warrior to be able to drop shield and DW 2 swords or one 2 handed sword, and become viable dps. Ranger should be able to melee.

think frost / unholy death knight from WoW. you guys could have had a reaaaaallllly cool melee dps class with dire lord but you went a different route on melee classes. 

no biggie. i will heal on main and blast on wizard alt 

• 624 posts
    October 11, 2019 2:38 AM PDT

Sforzando

• 1019 posts
    October 11, 2019 4:54 AM PDT

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

• 42 posts
    October 12, 2019 8:29 AM PDT
    Run!
    • 1584 posts
    October 12, 2019 8:58 AM PDT

The hardest to play, but if mastered usually have an amazing ceiling

always have to deal with more mechanics than the range characters

if you want to play a game with any kind of a challenge its always more guaranteed from a melee charcter than it would ever be with a range character

these are merely just facts, dont trust them look at any any mmo ever made and see how almost any caster can kill a mob without ever being hit as to where a melee cant do it without getting hit, fact

This post was edited by Cealtric at October 12, 2019 8:59 AM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    October 12, 2019 9:17 AM PDT

Flapp said:

Drizzt 

i want warrior to be able to drop shield and DW 2 swords or one 2 handed sword, and become viable dps. Ranger should be able to melee.

think frost / unholy death knight from WoW. you guys could have had a reaaaaallllly cool melee dps class with dire lord but you went a different route on melee classes. 

no biggie. i will heal on main and blast on wizard alt 

Well a warrior is a tank and pantheon made it clear they aren't trying to make a class fill in multiple roles like every other mmo out there, so warrior will be tanking and only tanking, 2 Rangers can melee dps and also i believe i read that they are trying to balance it out to where if you only wanted to melee or range they would both be viable choices and not have to do both, if i read it correctly, plus imho i think the Dire Lords sound extremely interesting, i dont plan on playing one myself but with the very limited information we have on them they sound fun to play and from a tanking prespective are extremely different than their counterparts.  but i guess this is just me you are clearly entitled to your opinion, but i think it isnt correct.

This post was edited by Cealtric at October 12, 2019 9:19 AM PDT
    • 999 posts
    October 12, 2019 3:33 PM PDT

Gear-Dependent

• 8 posts
    October 12, 2019 3:53 PM PDT

sleepy

• 947 posts
    October 12, 2019 4:19 PM PDT

Rewarding - Melee typically start out having a higher learning curve and are usally gear dependent but because of the gear dependancy typically have a greater sense of satisfaction/reward and can really benefit from obtaining high end gear.  (i.e. An end game staff for an enchanter compared to an endgame staff on a monk is likely to be a bigger impact for the monk).

• 388 posts
    October 12, 2019 9:35 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Flapp said:

Well a warrior is a tank and pantheon made it clear they aren't trying to make a class fill in multiple roles like every other mmo out there, so warrior will be tanking and only tanking, 2 Rangers can melee dps and also i believe i read that they are trying to balance it out to where if you only wanted to melee or range they would both be viable choices and not have to do both, if i read it correctly, plus imho i think the Dire Lords sound extremely interesting, i dont plan on playing one myself but with the very limited information we have on them they sound fun to play and from a tanking prespective are extremely different than their counterparts.  but i guess this is just me you are clearly entitled to your opinion, but i think it isnt correct.

it's good to know a "what if" / "coulda went this way" could be INcorrect or wrong. I never said a warrior wasn't a tank and i know exactly what the class descriptions are in Pantheon.  I said I wanted to be able to dps as melee. (and not be forced to be a rogue) Dire Lord is fine the way it is, you are right, it does look fun as is. . I merely wanted mentioned they could have had an interesting DPS class, like an Unholy DK (not an exact copy from wow, this isn't wow, nor do I want it to be wow....) and it could've been fun. i'll keep my fun thoughts incorrect opinions to myself. think i'm done with pantheon forums for a while. 

• 768 posts
    October 13, 2019 11:19 PM PDT

Flavourful/versitale

• 1584 posts
    October 14, 2019 2:40 AM PDT

Flapp said:

Riahuf22 said:

Flapp said:

it's good to know a "what if" / "coulda went this way" could be INcorrect or wrong. I never said a warrior wasn't a tank and i know exactly what the class descriptions are in Pantheon.  I said I wanted to be able to dps as melee. (and not be forced to be a rogue) Dire Lord is fine the way it is, you are right, it does look fun as is. . I merely wanted mentioned they could have had an interesting DPS class, like an Unholy DK (not an exact copy from wow, this isn't wow, nor do I want it to be wow....) and it could've been fun. i'll keep my fun thoughts incorrect opinions to myself. think i'm done with pantheon forums for a while. 

I didn't you couldn't have fun ideas, but to have a warrior be a tank and than switch things up to be "viable dps," means that a Cleric could be upset and they would want the same option for the exact same reason, and than you start blending in the classes, i wasnt attacking your opinions, i was merely stating the fact that some of the things you mentioned pantheon clearly made a point that they weren't even thinking of doing like warriors dropping their shield, for one in the descprition they said their shield will be used more offensively and defensively, and as for the ranger i clearly stated that they would be able to melee, so here i only said that they are doing what your  statment has said so i don't understand why you would be upset for me agreeing with you?  and if the dire lords all i said is i believe they are alrdy fun with the limited information we have, the only thing they weren't was a dps class i would take that as a win, especially if you find them fun to play.

This post was edited by Cealtric at October 14, 2019 2:53 AM PDT
  • October 16, 2019 12:22 PM PDT
    One-dimensional