Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Corpse Run Speed 1.5x or 2.0x or 3.0x

• 724 posts
    October 7, 2019 9:31 AM PDT

Woukd you like a boost to your movement speed for, say, 30 minutes after death as a way for the corpse run to be less time intensive?

Movement speed boost after death to cancel after thirty minutes or untill you reach your corpse, whichever comes first.  

Personally a 2x speed boost to run back to the scene of my folly would be fun I think. 

Time limitations would best be sorted by trial and error once data is available in a beta and we are all dropping left and right , something that could be mistaken for a naked marathon at times in-game.

• 1428 posts
    October 7, 2019 9:37 AM PDT

normal speed, giving everyone plenty of time to comtemplate the mysteries of life.  death ain't suppose to be fun.  although reflecting about one's own life and retracing it is rather amusing.

• 93 posts
    October 7, 2019 9:49 AM PDT

I wouldn't be against a small speed boost but I also don't think it's really necessary.  Just my two coppers....

• 1921 posts
    October 7, 2019 9:56 AM PDT

Nope, I would not.  After a certain level, pre-mades will get rez's 99% of the time anyway, so.. no need, imo.

• 14 posts
    October 7, 2019 10:30 AM PDT
    Would get abused tremendously. Nope.
    • 168 posts
    October 7, 2019 11:59 AM PDT

big nope! .. on the contrary, you should be rooted for 5 minutes to prevent zerging!

• 793 posts
    October 7, 2019 12:04 PM PDT

Nope, it won't be long before speed buffs are given freely to those on corpse runs.

• 1404 posts
    October 7, 2019 12:18 PM PDT

Nope, just another way to trivialize the death penalty.

I'm more concerned there will be too much of that already.

• 724 posts
    October 7, 2019 1:30 PM PDT
    So, reasons against are:
    --Superfluous because of buffs freely given.
    --Death penalty should be arduous and not at all enjoyable because you need to learn a lesson young man.
    --Your normal movement should be further hindered after death to increase the sting of failure.
    --No change at all needed as the normal speed is sufficient to contemplate one's own poor choices in life.

Please expand on abuse of mechanic, I may be behind in common concepts.
    • 2419 posts
    October 7, 2019 1:37 PM PDT

StoneFish said:

Woukd you like a boost to your movement speed for, say, 30 minutes after death as a way for the corpse run to be less time intensive?

Movement speed boost after death to cancel after thirty minutes or untill you reach your corpse, whichever comes first.  

Personally a 2x speed boost to run back to the scene of my folly would be fun I think. 

Time limitations would best be sorted by trial and error once data is available in a beta and we are all dropping left and right , something that could be mistaken for a naked marathon at times in-game.

Oh heck no, on any of those. You don't need a run speed increase for a corpse run, you just need friends.

• 1428 posts
    October 7, 2019 1:52 PM PDT

StoneFish said: So, reasons against are: --Superfluous because of buffs freely given. --Death penalty should be arduous and not at all enjoyable because you need to learn a lesson young man. --Your normal movement should be further hindered after death to increase the sting of failure. --No change at all needed as the normal speed is sufficient to contemplate one's own poor choices in life. Please expand on abuse of mechanic, I may be behind in common concepts.

eh i'm not really for or against a move speed buff XD  i thought you wanted an opinion ^_^

what's your reason for wanting to move faster when your dead?

oh wait i think i get what you're saying?  for testing in alpha or beta move faster, but for when the game goes live, would still want to move faster?

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at October 7, 2019 2:02 PM PDT
    • 724 posts
    October 7, 2019 2:11 PM PDT
    Testing, I like the testing process of trying things out.
    • 159 posts
    October 7, 2019 2:51 PM PDT

I'm not for a speed buff at all. I'm not for corpse runs at all. Got to remember who is behind pantheon. Just like every elder scroll game is going to have people getting beheaded or ever blizzard game is going to have some sick fetish with demons. Every game with Brad is going to have corpse run and arguing this is a waste of time. As Brad is bent on keeping CR's in what ever game(s)  he is involved in and will defend it to the death. I have heard every excuse to justify CR's. Some make sense while other are just flat out laughable. I think since this is a game and not reality. It needs to be fun. I have no good memories about any CR I have ever done. Some CR's are worse than others, but none of them ever equaled to fun.

However I knew this before I pledged and I therefore accept it. Speed buffs will not be a problem after the game has been out for a few months as it was already stated. Because druids and hopefully shamans will be able to speed buff you. Please don't be a sophist and try to twist what I said. I agree with Brad vision for the most part. I don't agree with him on this. So that is not a personal attack. I'm looking forward to PRoTF. Feel like I had to add that, because we got some people that are sophist's that enjoy engaging in sophism.

• 612 posts
    October 8, 2019 3:28 PM PDT

Seeing as we have no idea how Death will actually work it's a little early to be requesting things like this at this time. You are making an assumption that you will need to travel a great distance any time you die, but this has not been decided yet.

The Dev's have asked us to be patient and in Alpha and Beta we will see them reaching out for our feedback on how the Death system works and that will be the time for your ideas.

From the Cohh Monk stream, April 27, 2017 23:10 – What are the options going to be like on death.

Joppa said: "So the death system right now is very basic, you die. You can be revived, and we can show the revive mechanic after the fight depending on how things go. Go ahead and release. You can see that the death system is implemented. When you die you lose a little bit of experience and you return to the zone in point as of right now. And there are revive abilities in the game that will bring group members back. That’s about the extent of it now and the death system is still, we are still thinking through it and talking about it internally."

Aradune said: "Yeah like I’ve mentioned before in various posts and interviews. Getting the death penalty tuned really the way we want it to, it’s really going to require the community and I don’t see until Alpha or probably even Beta us having it tuned down to the specifics that you guys are probably curious about. I’d ask that you guys be patient. It’s something we want to do with you guys, with the testers, with the community and dial it in and get it right."

0 Links
    <!-- Used for easily cloning the properly namespaced rect -->

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at October 8, 2019 3:32 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    October 8, 2019 4:19 PM PDT

((I agree with Brad vision for the most part. I don't agree with him on this))

I think this is worth highlighting as the right attitude to have. 

We all want Pantheon - we all support Pantheon - even where we disagree strongly on certain points. We are all on the same side.

Very few of us will or should abandon the game because one or even two features do not go the way we want. As long as the game as a whole has many things we do want.

• 2756 posts
    October 8, 2019 4:58 PM PDT

Time to re-hash why the corpse run is a 'good' thing?...  Fear of death makes combat/exploring much more exciting.  The corpse run makes you fear death.  The corpse run in and of itself is not 'fun' no (though it can be).  It is a necessary evil to do something very good and that is to make you excited in the rest of the game.

In WoW, even in Classic, death was almost always a minor inconvenience.  It really degraded the whole experience in ways you didn't always fully appreciate, but it was a huge part of what made WoW feel much more like a game you were playing and not a world you lived in.

There *are* features from old EQ and VG that were frustrating and *not* necessarily a 'good' thing, but the corpse run and making death hurt is a 'good' thing (at least in some form - maybe not exactly as it was).

The corpse run can be tuned: How much XP you regain. Whether you leave all or some or no gear on your corpse. Whether you get debuffs. Can you be revived or summoned. Can your bind point be more freely set? Should you be able to shorten how much time it takes and maybe even avoid monsters on the way by getting a run speed boost, though?

Hmm. My initial thoughts are no, but I guess in EQ the whole begging for Spirit of Wolf or a Teleport were pretty much de facto. Maybe it could be considered, but I think it equates to avoiding community interaction to automatically be given the kind of help you would normally have to ask for.

This post was edited by disposalist at October 8, 2019 5:01 PM PDT
    • 724 posts
    October 8, 2019 5:23 PM PDT
    What if: " duration of buff is percentage of distance to corpse" ? 50%? 20%?
    What about a de-buff of -20% movement speed until arrival at corpse or until a player buff is received?
    See a player that was a jerk to you earlier starting off on a CR an begging for a speed buff, you now don't feel to bad about charging a fee or ignoring them.
    • 1404 posts
    October 8, 2019 7:39 PM PDT

StoneFish said: What if: " duration of buff is percentage of distance to corpse" ? 50%? 20%? What about a de-buff of -20% movement speed until arrival at corpse or until a player buff is received? See a player that was a jerk to you earlier starting off on a CR an begging for a speed buff, you now don't feel to bad about charging a fee or ignoring them.

Still no.

The corpse run itself to me is nothing more than a Quest. One that is done with your charictor severely disabled. Can you (or your party) find a way back to where you were solo, or can you find/meet friends to help get to your corpse or get your corpse too you?

It's all part of the adventure, think your tough, smart, clever? OK do it naked.

Edit: unless of course, your scared!!

This post was edited by Zorkon at October 8, 2019 7:40 PM PDT
    • 724 posts
    October 9, 2019 6:58 AM PDT
    I'm starting to get a little disappointed in this forum community. Few seem to read the original posts and go off on rants about a general "this or that". I didn't ask for a description or alternative way to play the game as a whole. I know it's a game and the death penalty is something I want to sting. I asked about a buff or de-buff? I mention trial and error testing. I'm not making a request, I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right, I'm looking for discussion about a tweek to something that is going to be in game. Example: SoW is a buff that is part of an exchange, cooperation, social. Because a stated goal of the development is to foster greater social connections it is best to avoid automated buff systems in favor of social buff attainment.

Also, please , someone help me with how it can be abused.

• 438 posts
    October 9, 2019 7:17 AM PDT
    Not sure how it could be abused per se. I just think of wow as a ghost form with a run speed added until you get to the corpse. It took away the excitement (for me) to try and get back to my corpse without fear from mods that were KoS.
    • 2419 posts
    October 9, 2019 7:18 AM PDT

Stonefish,  the issue isn't necessarily your idea, but that death penalties, corpse runs and anything related to it has been discussed ad-nauseum across many dozens of threads with hundreds upon hundreds of opinions on this and that.  It's been discussed to death, pun intended. VR isn't going to take any of our suggestions from these forums to apply it to the death penalty system. They have one in mind and when the opportunity comes in Alpha to test their ideas we'll provide feedback.  The basic system is you die, you lose xp, you can get rezzed and regain some XP or you can just return to your corpse and regain some as well.

• 1921 posts
    October 9, 2019 7:25 AM PDT

Several posts have enumerated how it can be abused, and you're getting quite a bit of discussion in the context you're looking for.
    It just happens that on this subject, many people are both critical and logical, given history and past personal experience.
    Logically, tying any benefit to death is problematic.
    If there was ever a situation (low level, high level) when you don't care about XP debt, then such a thing could be used as a free travel buff.
    In the simplest example, at low level, put everything you own in the bank. Bind at bank.  Attack a guard.  Get free SoW.   Retrieve items from bank. Have SoW, will Travel.  Yee-ha.

This and several other reasons are why, if you actually want death to sting, you can't just use XP debt, alone, as a penalty.
    Percentage based run speed movement buffs are incredibly powerful in a world where 75%+ of your game time experience is ground-based movement through a 3D space.

• 696 posts
    October 9, 2019 7:48 AM PDT

Yeah I mean death, from what I think they are going for, is just going to be exp loss pretty much. Soo death is already very light and people will not fear the enviroment. So rest easy that running to your corpse is optional.  Having a speed buff just makes the death penalty that much more pathetic.

• 724 posts
    October 9, 2019 7:50 AM PDT
    vjek said : "in the simplest example, at low level, put everything you own in the bank. Bind at bank. Attack a guard. Get free SoW. Retrieve items from bank. Have SoW, will Travel. Yee-ha".
    That's a good example. So to counter, would proximity come into play? If the guard is near the bank, which is near your corpse, you respawn (near the bank and corpse) but because you are within X distance of your corpse you receive no buff?

Also Vandraad, can you provide me with a list of subjects you feel are approved for discussion?
    • 3237 posts
    October 9, 2019 8:02 AM PDT

StoneFish said: Also Vandraad, can you provide me with a list of subjects you feel are approved for discussion?

You can find a bunch of topics here, with a variety of open threads to choose from, generally:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/8530/frequently-asked-questions