Forums » Pantheon Races

Half-race?

• 3 posts
    September 30, 2019 8:24 AM PDT
    I really loved the Half-Elf misfit lore from EQ 1 and I understand that the lore of Terminus (races are brought unwillingly from different planets) prevents half-races from being a thing... but couldn’t there be a pocket Half-Myr or Half-Elf race living in a city somewhere in hiding? Human genetics should still allow it no?

Half-Myr would lead to really interesting lore.

Plus Half-Races make the most beautiful races.
    • 1019 posts
    September 30, 2019 8:32 AM PDT

Thats what this game is about.  Finding and mating with other races.  So in the first exp pack we can have half-races.

• 2419 posts
    September 30, 2019 8:33 AM PDT

ptrk83 said:Human genetics should still allow it no?

Why should it?  We share 98% of our DNA with Chimpanzees and nearly that much with other primates yet such interspecies breeding doesn't happen.  Why should a Terminus Human and Terminus Elf share enough DNA that a half-breed could be viable?  If you get a Half-Elf, I get a Quarter Elf/Human/Gnome/Dwarf damnit.

This post was edited by Vandraad at September 30, 2019 8:33 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    September 30, 2019 8:48 AM PDT

Look at the bright side - maybe instead of centaurs we can get ...quarter horses. 

Forget human genetics - this is so anthropmorphic. There are so many races. Maybe humans cannot even breed with apes but ogre or myr or other races have more ...robust sperm or eggs. 

Why assume that one half of a halfbred should be human?

• 3 posts
    September 30, 2019 8:50 AM PDT
    Keeping with fantasy lore... lol
    • 1860 posts
    September 30, 2019 8:56 AM PDT

We don't know specifics but there is a chance that something similar to half races might be possible through the use of the progeny system.  I'm guessing, if it does work out this way, it wouldn't exactly be half races though.  More likely that you are one race while still being able to have some of the benefits of another race but, that is a similar concept.  This is purely speculation until we find out more.

• 346 posts
    September 30, 2019 9:52 AM PDT

ptrk83 said:Plus Half-Races make the most beautiful races.

That was only the case in Human and Elf with regard to Half-Elf. And that's purely within the confines of a restrictive lore. All other accounts, you get something that's just a mix and typically less attractive than the more attractive of the two parent races.

Not to mention the subjective nature of that point.

With regard to Pantheon though, that may be something as it applies to Progeny, but in general, I don't think we'll see them in the Vanilla iteration of Pantheon but maybe in an expansion. Personally, I'm more on the side of having it involved within the Progeny mechanic but I doubt we'll see the multitude of model variations to account for that. 

Half Skar and Half Elf or Half Ogre and Half Halfing (No, not a quarterling) wouldn't work too well.

This post was edited by Janus at September 30, 2019 9:54 AM PDT
    • 25 posts
    September 30, 2019 12:17 PM PDT

Hmm.  What would half a Halfling be then...  A Quarterling?  **brownies lol

• 1399 posts
    September 30, 2019 12:56 PM PDT

Janus said:

ptrk83 said:Plus Half-Races make the most beautiful races.

That was only the case in Human and Elf with regard to Half-Elf. And that's purely within the confines of a restrictive lore. All other accounts, you get something that's just a mix and typically less attractive than the more attractive of the two parent races.

Not to mention the subjective nature of that point.

With regard to Pantheon though, that may be something as it applies to Progeny, but in general, I don't think we'll see them in the Vanilla iteration of Pantheon but maybe in an expansion. Personally, I'm more on the side of having it involved within the Progeny mechanic but I doubt we'll see the multitude of model variations to account for that. 

Half Skar and Half Elf or Half Ogre and Half Halfing (No, not a quarterling) wouldn't work too well.

As cool as it could be to have progeny actually mix races, that would seem to be a crazy undertaking model wise.

How little could they get away with that might not be so model intensive?

Scaling, skin tones, hair choices, city of origin  (faction),...?

Progeny an Ogre and a elf, you first choose the base model  (let's say Ogre) then you want the size of an elf with evish hair and markings?

I dunno, just brainstorming.

• 1281 posts
    September 30, 2019 2:15 PM PDT

ptrk83 said: I really loved the Half-Elf misfit lore from EQ 1 and I understand that the lore of Terminus (races are brought unwillingly from different planets) prevents half-races from being a thing... but couldn’t there be a pocket Half-Myr or Half-Elf race living in a city somewhere in hiding? Human genetics should still allow it no? Half-Myr would lead to really interesting lore. Plus Half-Races make the most beautiful races.

I will say that I am disappointed that there aren't some "mixed races" like Half-Elf.  My chartacter was a HEF in EQ, EQ2, and Vanguard.  Unfortunately, now I am stuck making him full Human in Pantheon, due to the "mental image" that I have of him.

• 520 posts
    October 1, 2019 5:35 PM PDT

Travo said:

Wouldn't they instead of 1/4th be a 3/4th though?

• 9115 posts
    October 1, 2019 7:58 PM PDT

Great topic! Moved to Pantheon Races to keep inline with the forum guidelines :)

• 945 posts
    October 2, 2019 7:35 AM PDT

How has nobody mentioned HALF-DRAGON yet?!  I am fully expecting to see a race of Half-Dragons intentionally coming to Pantheon with a sense of entitlement! 

There were half dragons added to EQ and a very cool race in D&D is the Dragonborn.  I would love to have a race like the Dragonborn.

This post was edited by Darch at October 2, 2019 7:37 AM PDT
    • 25 posts
    October 2, 2019 1:23 PM PDT

Hegenox said:

Travo said:

Wouldn't they instead of 1/4th be a 3/4th though?

True! Math was never my strong suit :D  Half shark aligator half man...  man-bear-pig....  other half races!   ...@ OP: i really liked Half Elf as a choice in games in past.  Cool racials, looks, & RP back-story stuff.

• 1399 posts
    October 2, 2019 9:12 PM PDT

So this mixed race with Progeny has been going through my head off and on all day.

Of course they couldn't do models for every possible combination but several traits could be interchangeable. (Using hypothetical numbers)

Ogres can scale from 8 to 12 feet high.

Halfling can scale from 4 to 6 feet high

ONLY because the developers say so.

So somebody levels up an Ogre to 50, and they Progeny with a Halfling. The character creation screen for the Progeny Charrictor now give them the following options

Ogre or Halfling model

4-6 feet or 8-12 feet tall (for either model they choose to use)

Choice of any class available to either Race (Ogre Bard anyone , or a maybe a Dire Lord Halfling)

Choice of Ogre or Halfling racial traits

Choice of Starting City... Broken Maw or Wilds End

Level to 50 again and Progeny to a Dwarf, 

Now add Blue skin to your options as well.

Now your leveling up a short fat blue skin Cleric in Broken Maw

OR at your choice you could go back with all Ogre traits, size ect.and have an Ogre Cleric

This post was edited by Zorkon at October 2, 2019 9:26 PM PDT
    • 16 posts
    December 23, 2019 4:12 AM PST

Vandraad said:

ptrk83 said:Human genetics should still allow it no?

Why should it?  We share 98% of our DNA with Chimpanzees and nearly that much with other primates yet such interspecies breeding doesn't happen.  Why should a Terminus Human and Terminus Elf share enough DNA that a half-breed could be viable?  If you get a Half-Elf, I get a Quarter Elf/Human/Gnome/Dwarf damnit.

Magic...

• 57 posts
    December 23, 2019 5:12 PM PST
    Remember in EQ1 wood elves we only 49.9 percent elves.
    • 99 posts
    February 9, 2020 3:09 PM PST
    I like the half race idea after progeny a lot more so than adding cat like creatures. I wonder how much work it would be on the development side?