“I am afraid,” said little fox. “
    “I really am too small,
    “To wander in the scary wood,
    “Without my Maw and Paw.”

“Pish and posh,” replied the wolf,
    “You’re very safe with me.”
    “What creature would make war against,
    “A wolf and fox party?”

Hugreth was a huge man, with arms as hard as millstones, and a voice as booming and captivating as a thunderstorm.  But, beyond that, Hugreth was an old man, not very quick of wit, and annoying to listen to as he blathered on with war stories that he repeated almost daily.  And if Allistan, the King’s advisor and cleric, had to listen to one more story today, he was going to kill him. After all, he could always revive him later… maybe…

“And so I says to that blowhard giant,” Hugreth shouted at Allistan,” if you don’t quit eating the King’s sheep, I’ll be needing to drop you to the ground.  And he says something stupid, like ‘how yous been going for do that?’ So I says to him, bwahahaaa!”  Allistan did all he could to keep his composure while Hugreth finished up this story he’d heard a hundred times before.  So, so I says to that oaf, “I’ll… RAM… EWE!” At this, Hugreth slammed his drink on the hardwood table in the King’s parlor, oblivious to the liquor sloshing out and making a mess all over the surrounding chairs, the table, and himself.  Allistan rolled his eyes and buried his head in his hands.  He’d been stuck listening to Hugreth, the King’s friend and right-hand man, for over an hour waiting for Amensol to return from an errand. Hugreth had been asked to stay behind since it was a little matter and the King did not have any need of him.  Wise choice, thought Allistan.

The two had a standing meeting each week at dusk with Amensol to address the plan of war against the Revenant, led by their master, the Ravaging Lord, Ittero.  Once a noble benevolence, a twisted darkness had brought an end to the once grand Ginto people.  He had descended from an immortal god, to a high mortal creature of devastating powers.  And his eyes were set on a rule of never-ending darkness and war across the world of Terminus.  And he had taken his thrist for power and corruption to the not so benevolent god of humans, Ossari.  Ossari was convinced to “descend” and now led the war waged against the lands of the elves and humans.  Skirmishes were the order of the day for going on a year as the army of evil Ginto, the Revenant, amassed ever-growing numbers against them.  Coupled with the fact they were led by the most powerful beings anyone had ever seen, the fear of destruction or enslavement loomed larger by the day.  And to Allistan, the fact that some of the more aged population brushed the demise of the world off as nothing more sinister than a passing snowstorm enraged him.

The doors to the parlor creaked open and Allistan stood dazed for a passing moment as the next party member arrived.  He followed the woman with his eyes across the room to her seat, her curly brown hair waving side to side as she walked across the room.  She took his breath away each and every time he was in her company.  She was a warrior, no doubt, and strong and fierce, but she moved like a dancer, graceful and agile.

“Commander.  Blessings to you.  I do hope today has brought you favorable news from the field,” Allistan said, reaching for her chair to assist her. Hugreth watched with anticipation, staying out of the way.  Allistan was the worst man ever at wooing lasses, and Hugreth knew he would not disappoint if he just allowed him the rope to hang himself with.

Commander Carinna accepted the seat and gesture and sat down at the table.

“Thanks, Allistan.  Please, do call me Carinna.  I get enough platitudes in a day to last a lifetime.”  She gave Hugreth a nod from across the table and he immediately knew to pour her a drink.  It apparently had been one of those days.

“Absolutely, Carinna,” Allistan chirped.  “No more platitudes for you, heh. We’re both adults, leaders; more like co-leaders…” Hugreth leaned back in his chair, a slight smirk snuck up on his face.  Allistan’s mouth was running faster than his head, again. “Well, not that you’re not worth the platitudes you get. I mean, you certainly are; probably more.  I’d give you more, I mean, platitudes, if you wanted me more, I mean to give you more, um, more platitudes.  Just, I’d give you whatever, more, if you wanted. Not that you wanted. I mean obviously you didn’t want more since you said you didn’t, but…”

“Allistan, you are relieved from your grand oratory,” barked the king, Amensol, swinging the doors wide as he entered, his son Avendyr in tow behind him.  His booming voice echoed off the stone walls.  Carinna flashed a courteous smile at Allistan for trying as he tried to smoothly exit this new disastrous round of playful banter.  He slid into the seat beside Carinna.

“Greetings, everyone.  I do apologize for my lateness.  An ambassador from Faerthale just briefed me on some important updates, so it is fortuitous that our meeting was today.”  As he spoke, Amensol took off his kingly raiment and laid them across the back of his chair before collapsing into it, noticeably spent from the day’s activities.  Avendyr, on the other hand, was 25 years old and relentlessly energetic.  He pulled up a chair to Carinna’s available side, as he did as often as he could.  The king continued,” I trust everyone has had a fruitful day.  Before I get started, Hugreth would you like to fill us in on the Sanctum’s progress.”  The king leaned back and Carinna could tell he was going through the motions at this point, not really listening to Hugreth or his status report.

“Aye, sir,” Hugreth said.  He reached into a satchel and pulled a parchment from it and unrolled it onto the table as he stood up.  He reveled in showing off his size whenever he had the opportunity, which to him was always.  “The third inner wall began two moons ago and is finished from the western edge of the cave to about here.” He pointed to an area just about dead center of the grand courtyard on the inside of the Sanctum. The three exterior walls were separated by 100 yards each, with each circle getting larger extending out.  The entrance was naturally funneled, so as barriers are breached and soldiers are lost, hypothetically, the bottleneck gets tighter, easier to defend, and harder to penetrate.  The cave itself was natural and needed only some modifications.  The tower itself, built into the mountainside, had been finished two years earlier.  The outer defenses were the last steps before it could be used.  Carinna hated that she longed for its completion, the security and comfort of a prison at best, coffin at worst.  At just 30 years old, she was tired of war, uncertainty, death… life; at least this life, the life she led now.  She tried to focus back on Hugreth.

“So, I’d say another 5 weeks and we should have the last bastion in place and ready to gather resources for the food stores.  Some have already begun.”  Hugreth paused, standing up as tall as he could at the table, waiting for his commendation.  Amensol knew it.  He’d been working with Hugreth for the last 25 years, and never knew him to pass an opportunity to receive praise, though he’d never say that out loud.  It was easier just to give it. “Very well done, Hugreth.  As usual, everything I ask of you is beyond expectation,” Amensol said as pleasantly as he could, even though the project was supposed to be completed a year ago.

“What of the plans for alerting and supplanting the Elven and our populations,” Amensol asked, turning toward the distracted Allistan. “Two eyes, Allistan.  Right here,” he said gesturing to his eyes with his fingers.  It was a joke they had shared for years, ever since the first deadly winter they spent in Terminus after the Collision.

“Right, my lord.  The Elves are almost through crafting a new magic that would make it possible to speak to each person who is given a seal.  They are crafting the seals and we will be distributing soon.  Once the riders are out to deliver to each region’s governor for distribution, we will also pass along the plans for the move.  I’ve itemized them for you. First, …”

Allistan carried on with the plans for moving the people, a move that should have already been started, as Carinna saw it.  Avendyr, sitting on the other side of Carinna from Allistan, noticed her mind wandering.  He noticed everything about her.  “Don’t worry,” Avendyr leaned in to Carinna’s ear, “he bores me to death as well.” Carinna gave him a smile and looked away, not wanting to linger on his comments.

Carinna had been the target of Avendyr’s affection for the last few years.  It stretched backwards beyond that, but he was so young, she thought it was a passing boyish daydream.  He had been very close to her late husband.  Honnai had been his closest friend, even though for Honnai it was bittersweet.  He had never said as much, but the supporting role he played for Avendyr had bothered him.  He would have liked to live his life in peaceful obscurity on the outskirts of the Elvish lands and raise his family.  The burden of serving the king of men was more, and less, than he wanted all at the same time. It was foolish and critical all at once.  This struggle within himself left Honnai a tormented man all the time Carinna knew him.  But there was not a man that could come close to his devotion to whatever noble effort he was dragged into, whether war or love.  No man ever would.

Avendyr shuffled in his chair, trying to appear slightly bored.  “Finally,” Allistan said,” we have calculated that it should be two days before the gates and barricades could be settled once the message is sent.

“No need to rush into the coffin, Allistan,” quipped Avendyr. “Once trapped in there, odds are you’re not coming out.  I’m in no hurry to get to the end.”

“It’s a point worth considering,” Amensol replied. The king rose from is chair and began pacing, his practice during soliloquys.  “Friends, we have been on the threshold of extinction since arriving in the god forsaken place, and I mean that quite literally in both respects.  We arrived on the doorstep of Terminus a heartbeat away from death.  We’ve all lost someone.” Carinna looked up, waiting to be singled out by eyeshot. The king was staring right at her, eyes soft and comforting.  He continued,” And Ossari has indeed forsaken his duty to us, orphans abandoned in the woods for the wolves to feast on.  Even worse, he comes to feast himself on his own children. I am tired of holding on and pushing men forward at the same time. It’s wearying to me and to men.  At some point one of these must… STOP.” The empty cup in his hand clanked and reverberated as he pounded it down on the table.  The room stayed silent.

“If we… must… let go of one of these, it should, it must, be holding on.  Pushing forward must be the course, the king turned around and looked out the large window facing the steppes ahead.  You could barely make out the mist of the waterfall in the distance that fell from the winding river that was fed from the mountains, meandering its way to the edge of the cliffs.

“Sir, are you suggesting we abandon the planned retreat?” Allistan looked concerned, much more so than his tone implied. “I thought Silent Sanctum was a more favorable battlefield than open war in the plains.”  Carinna stayed stone-faced while the mood in the room evolved.

“There’s much to be said for the element of surprise, an edge that can’t be overstated, “Avendyr spoke up.  “Plus, we have the advantage of two fronts if we can draw Ossari’s forces into the Steppe and beyond the woods of Faerthale. Us on one side, elves on the other. It could work. Not to mention the positive side of not dying in that mausoleum we’ve been building for the last decade.”

“I don’t care where we are.  I’ll fight Ossari right here, if he was man enough!  Bwahaha,” Hugreth chimed in.  “Man enough! Get it!? Allistan, y’get it!?”

Allistan tried not to let Hugreth pull him off topic. “Yes, I understand your point, Avendyr, but the lives lost in open war may not leave enough to outlast a counteroffensive from reinforcements of the Ravaging Lord’s armies on the other continents.  The defenses at Silent Sanctum only work if there are enough to man them.  This would be an all or nothing decision.”

“Allistan,” the king came and leaned on the table beside him and put his hand on his shoulder. “The decision to flee to the Sanctum is also all or nothing. Do we know how long we may be sieged there?  We can’t hold out forever. Do we know that reinforcements will come to our aid? The giants? The Mos Cag? They have not contributed to the building of the Sanctum. Can we count on them for any contributions?  Here’s what we do know,” the King turned around to face them all. “We know that the first time the Ravaging Lord faced the Remnant, he was forced to retreat for years.  We know that after 10 years, he has been unable to conquer any of the Six.  And we know the Ginto prophecy, that the six Suns of Terminus will rise to conquer him.  Well, I don’t see any rising coming from the likes of Elves and Men.  I see falling back.  I see defeat in the eyes of my people at the mere sight of that tower! The sooner we stand, the sooner we can conquer Ossari and his forces, and man will be free of this fear of death from off our shoulders, finally, and we can dwell here in our new home in peace and prosperity.”

“There’s one more thing we know, my king,” Carinna, her head down and her eyes cast upward to meet his, spoke softly, once again changing the tone of the room.  The king stared at her in annoyance.  He was not going to share all he had learned from his previous meeting with the Faerthale Councilmembers.  He knew he could not stop this news now. He lowered his head, waiting for her delivery.

“The Faerthale Council has received word that the Ogres have been pushed into the Burning Sanctum by the Wos Che and the Revenant led by the Ravaging Lord on Reignfall.  No one yet knows the fate of the Myr.  A great sea creature is said to have attacked at the command of the Ravaging Lord.  The Dark Myr and Ogres had taken the first victory on the field of battle, but the losses were great. They were not ready for the second round.” Carinna finally looked up, catching the faces of the members in the room. “This brings me to my point.  The Ravaging Lord summoned a monster to completely turn the tide of battle where they were vulnerable.  We are fighting gods.  I agree with all you said of what we know,” Carinna’s voice turned soft and gentle, almost vulnerable.  “My greatest fear is that we don’t know what we don’t know.” Allistan knew what she meant.  He nodded in agreement but left his eyes downcast in fear of crossing his king.

“My king,” Carinna continued, “we are out in the open, exposed on every side here at Havensong.  Our people are farmers, ranchers, explorers, out in the open.  If we meet them head on in battle, with every able-bodied man, who will protect them in the Sanctum?  Who will man the turrets, the gates, the walls?  For all we know, Ossari can summon a serpent right out of the ground to swallow us up and there will be nowhere to run.  The Dark Myr and the Ogres had their battle won, and in an instant their fates were changed.”

“If we are fated to win this war, then let’s tell our children we did it smartly.  Let’s save their fathers and mothers, their brothers and sisters from war. The Sanctum is defensible, and we can repel any force from it. And if he were here, Honnai would give the same council, I’m sure of it.”

The King tensed up when she brought him up. He stared her down for a second and tried to relax.  “I would beg to differ, Commander.  Honnai would run full speed into any battle I pointed him to.” Avendyr looked uncomfortable at the direction this conversation had taken.  His feelings for Carinna had been slowly pushing past his fondness for his friend.  Yes, he was great, so great, and I’m reminded of it all the time, he thought to himself, but that is over and the sooner Carinna could let him go, the sooner she could move on. Honnai had his time. This was Avendyr’s time, and he would not be kept in his shadow forever.

“Honnai was a fearless warrior and followed me until his passing. His trust was unwavering,” the king retorted.

Carinna rebutted him, “He was fearless, but not for the sake of duty, but in spite of it. He would not chase a battle but would let the battle come to him.”

“Well he’s dead and I’m not!” shouted the King.  Hugreth’s face grimaced at the words. Allistan peeked up at Carinna to make sure she was alright.  Amensol was across the line and there was no going back, only forward. “He’s dead.  I move forward, always forward, and it has never let me down.  His grandfather is dead, his mother is dead, his father is…” Amensol huffed and shook his head. “The only thing that is left of him are you and your child

“My king.  I will follow where you lead, for it is my sworn duty, as it was with my husband. If you say to meet them, I will be first to draw blood.  But the lesson I have learned from this land is that no matter your station or circumstance, your only two choices are life and death, and they can visit in any circumstance. But they are not equal.  Death is worthless, an end to usefulness, to value.  Life is priceless, and full of infinite possibilities and value.  To make the most is not about how majestic or amazing the journey between is, but how complete. A bold flash in a pan does not cook a meal, but a slow simmer can.  Amensol, please,” Carinna pleaded, “let’s give our people a chance at a complete life.”

The king appeared to soften at her words. He rose and peered once more through the large glass panes juxtaposing the dark gray stone walls of the room.  The room stayed quiet and still as he lingered.  Then he turned.

“Alright.  This heavy decision falls to me. It has come to me piece by piece as I have become a servant of the race of men during our time in this world.  It has been full; full enough to span two worlds. But it will not be complete until I can remove this cancer from the future of our people.  I must do everything I can to stave off this blight.  Commander, Allistan, Hugreth, my son, we will ride to meet Ossari and his horde in a fortnight. We begin planning in the morning.  And may our souls not have mercy on god…”  Amensol, with a steely face, turned and walked out of the room. Hugreth slowly got out of his chair and, without a word, quickened pace to catch up with his king.

“I guess we have our orders,” Allistan said, still looking into his lap.  Carinna felt compassion for Allistan.  This was the first time he disagreed with his king, and she could tell it was tearing at his conscience.

“Plenty to do, Allistan, “Carinna said, placing her fingers under his chin and raising it. “You have two weeks to get the Sanctum finished before we head out to war.  Complete it.” Carinna looked at him and smiled.  Allistan returned a partial smile, but he did feel better just knowing that Carinna was there with him.

“Yes, Commander,” Allistan replied.  Allistan, Avendyr, and Carinna gathered their things and excused themselves to their quarters.  And as Allistan walked, Carinna’s steadfast encouragement settled his resolve to make every moment count, since each one made the next possible.

Carinna sat in front of a mirror in her quarters, her son asleep in the bed, lightly snoring. Her hair was usually a tangled mess at the end of the day, in and out of her helmet, sweaty and dirty from all the day had brought.  Brushing her hair was a soothing salve that melted away her pain and concerns, and allowed her to get what sleep she could.  As she was finishing, she heard a knock at her door.  She crossed the room in her robe and cracked the door open.  Avendyr was standing there, still in full dress.  “May we speak a moment, Carinna?” Avendyr asked.  Carinna nodded and she stepped into the hallway. At this hour, nobody was outside her room and she didn’t want the child to wake.

“Look, Carinna, I know my father came across a little stern, compelling, whatever.  I just wanted you to know, if you didn’t already, he values your opinion, no matter what.  As he did Hon’s.  It’s hard on any man to have this much weight on his shoulders.  It would be hard on any man to have the weight you carry every day.  Seeing you do it with such grace is inspiring.”  Carinna leaned on the door jamb and crossed her arms.  She gave him a half smile, accepting the gesture.

“Just, uh, know that you don’t have to carry that weight alone.  There are people out there to help you carry it, whether the losses out in the field, or the losses you’ve had at home.  I, uh, miss him, too,” Avendyr smiled a bit, thinking of his icon, his role model. “I imagine this is what it would be like to lose a brother.  Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and say that.  And, also, that you really made me think a lot with what you said in that meeting about life and death.”

“Yeah, well, it’s kind of the memoriam of Havensong, isn’t it?  So many have lived and died, with little rhyme or reason, yet we persist day after day, us with our one job, to anchor the throne fast for our people, to give them hope for tomorrow.”

“Well, my lady, there are still a few things that would make my life complete, but that will have to wait for another time, I suppose,” Avendyr said, coyly lingering in front of her.

Carinna smiled and half rolled her eyes. “Good night to you, too, Prince Avendyr.” Avendyr reached out and took her hand and gently brought it to his lips. He returned it to her side, turned, and shuffled down the hallway with a grin.

“Good night to you, my little fox. I’ll catch you yet,” he said to himself.

This post was edited by Benonai at August 28, 2019 11:23 PM PDT
    • 197 posts
    September 4, 2019 7:58 AM PDT

An excellent addition to this story. I think the dialogue is serving the development of the characters well, as I feel like I know them a little better with every additional part you tell. Each part adds a little to the bigger picture, without revealing too much. Really excited to see where this is going! Keep up the great work.