Forums » Developer's Journal

Clunky Combat

• 231 posts
    August 28, 2019 7:34 AM PDT

I'm sure this is being looked at and worked on (based on the jump animations from a recent newsletter), but really looking forward to seeing more fluid combat animations. Not trying to throw rocks, but a lot of the combat I've seen reminds me of the old SNES FF games. Walk up to mob, quick slash animation, walk/jump back and wait for the next turn. It will be nice to see when more polish is added.

• 621 posts
    August 28, 2019 10:42 AM PDT

We'll see.  In my "opinion" I think this is where they should be spending the majority of their time (the mechanics/features and intuitive game interaction).  If they don't absolutely nail the gameplay it won't matter how "pretty" the trees are.   Graphcis and content don't matter if they are too cumbersome to interact with.  I have the same concerns as you; The "combat" mechanics I've seen reminds me of EQ. 

But hey... they have several years to get it right -_- 

• 4271 posts
    August 28, 2019 4:02 PM PDT

As long as plans haven't changed too dramatically, you can expect to see some pretty significant improvements in this area with the release of Project Faerthale. Ever since the game was first shown on Twitch in early 2016, people have been commenting about the animations. And it is an important aspect of the game. It's not THE most important. But it really does make players feel more in tune with their characters, which just makes the game more fun. So this is something they're definitely working on improving. We've already seen some of the early improvements at the end of this stream: https://youtu.be/Up8iouuvoac

• 231 posts
    August 29, 2019 7:04 AM PDT

Yeah, I don't expect, or even want, really, the disco light show of some games, or the characters that move at mach 2 between enemies like a gust of wind or river tributary. Something beyond characters moving robotically in a Minecraft-esque fashion would be good, though. Hopefully PF will re-energize us on that front.

• 621 posts
    August 29, 2019 7:48 PM PDT

@Bazgrim The Faerthale video referencing voice of terminus was a good listen (I haven't watched those in a few months).  That made me feel a lot better about the focus of project Faerthale's direction of focusing on the core mechanics and not just the aeshtetics.