Forums » News and Announcements

August Newsletter Brings the Heat

• 70 posts
    August 22, 2019 9:56 AM PDT

Our August newsletter turns it up with a scorching hot Underwraps that dives deep into some encouraging team milestones and hints at the awesomeness that’s coming soon. The Acclimation and Climate systems move from concepts to reality as Joppa takes us deeper into the mechanics of these exciting features. Art and lore take center stage as we explore the Tohrn Elves, from Concept to Model. Next up is our newest Signature Character reveal, Arak’amel Dhaun, a powerful Ogre Dire Lord whose story you won’t want to miss. We bring it all home with the August Community Spotlight—Wisdom, a smooth talking streamer who used to keep his gaming habit on the down low, but is now proud to drop some gaming knowledge for all his baby birds. 

https://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_august_intro/

• 627 posts
    August 22, 2019 10:08 AM PDT
    Coolio
    • 1019 posts
    August 22, 2019 10:21 AM PDT

Shaman Bane.

• 2419 posts
    August 22, 2019 10:31 AM PDT

So Arak’amel Dhaun is the love child of Kratos and Darth Malgus. 

Which was the powertop in that relationship?

EDIT:

While I am appreciative of what was presented in this newsletter with regard to actual mechanics, I am disheartened to read th at PA5 appears no closer on the horizon and that Alpha has retreated even further into the future.  As with anything, the longer it takes to get there the more people you lose along the way.  That said, some thoughts on the things in the newsletter:

Acclimation and Glyphs, paricularly this tidbit: "Glyphs will be rare and difficult to attain."  Sigh..have you not learned yet that 'rare and difficult' does not mean it will remain that way forever and that given time even the rarest and most difficult thing to obtain will become quite common?  Sooner than you realize players will have all those acclimation slots filled up with permanent top-tier glyphs, setting the baseline for any futuer content that uses acclimation.  You will be forced to develop content that assume everyone will have all their slots filled with the best glyphs otherwise the content will be trivialized.  And because these glyphs are permanent, the potential market for these will only ever decrease which then drives prices ever lower. Soon, everyone not incoming to the game will no longer need any additional glyphs.  Frankly, this approach is wrong, if it stays as described, will cause more harm than good.

Will these glyphs have level/skill caps?  Otherwise what would prevent a level 1 character from being twinked out with the best top-tier glyphs, completely trivializing any content for which that level of glyph is beyond overpowered?  If you have a 200 acclimation against cold and you're in an area where you only need 20...are you effectively immune to the effect?  Or will the effect scale down to the level of the wearer but even if that happens, it still means the character does not need to worry about replacing any of those glyphs as he/she levels..they always grow with them.  Has any of this actually crossed someone's mind?

Then there is this:  "Once our Testers inform us that we are in a solid state to move forward, we will schedule Alpha itself—not a minute sooner."  Who's testing this right now?  Wouldn't this be something the PA testers should be doing?

This post was edited by Vandraad at August 22, 2019 11:22 AM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    August 22, 2019 10:34 AM PDT

I'd love to hear someone from VR explain how a glorified keying system is going to be fun for the players. I'd also love to hear them justify how spending limited resources on this mechanic is more important than actual content creation. 

• 6 posts
    August 22, 2019 10:50 AM PDT

PA 5.......only this makes this newsletter a disappointing and useless one.

Always some more PA......

• 1714 posts
    August 22, 2019 10:57 AM PDT

Eclipse said:

PA 5.......only this makes this newsletter a disappointing and useless one.

Always some more PA......

I love how they're already laying the groundwork for PA6 to try to limit the disappointment. It's a nice political move. Ease that bandaid off. 

• 1019 posts
    August 22, 2019 11:10 AM PDT

I'm sure there are a few more PA's left.  They have entire western continent to do and a completely unmentioned continent to complete.

• 523 posts
    August 22, 2019 12:15 PM PDT

Appreciate the newsletter and effort that goes into it.  I sincerely hope this Faerthale demo and the massive interest in WoW Classic brings some more investors to the table for you guys.  You're working hard and giving it all you have, but you need about another 100 employees to get this out by 2025 at the speed you're currently developing.  Wishing you nothing but the best.

• 2138 posts
    August 22, 2019 1:33 PM PDT

Wait... What?!

(paraphrased) 'Something something limited streamer access to PA 5, so get your names in now! Sorry, anyone with a camera and a backscreen need not apply only seasoned streamers...'

You bet I made sure my web cam worked and then stopped and then I realized

They are going to let us see some streams of Pre Alpha 5?- by normal people?

who does that?!?!? 0_o

streams!- and not like one. They want multiple so that means multiple streams?!. if history is any judge, they had people like koopatroopa, asexual (or whatever his name was) those guys, the all stars, with the hispanic face-pulling gnome that I thought was great (mijo's!). So this means more- and of PA 5.

And with Faerthale percolating the background, I think the fall is looking pretty good.

• 379 posts
    August 22, 2019 7:23 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Then there is this:  "Once our Testers inform us that we are in a solid state to move forward, we will schedule Alpha itself—not a minute sooner."  Who's testing this right now?  Wouldn't this be something the PA testers should be doing?

THIS.

Keno Monster said:

I'd love to hear someone from VR explain how a glorified keying system is going to be fun for the players. I'd also love to hear them justify how spending limited resources on this mechanic is more important than actual content creation. 

AND THIS.

I feel like we are starting to spiral towards Vanguard territory.

• 1479 posts
    August 23, 2019 2:12 AM PDT

Couldn't yet read the whole newlestter, but I was amazed with the Ogre artwork and the story beyond. A bit deceived he ended as an outcast, but since it gave a lot of details over the "Dire" of "Direlord", I'm even eager to play that class now.

The whole problem is : Can player's ogre look as fierce and corrupted as this one ? Because he sure looks cool (and barely armored).

• 542 posts
    August 23, 2019 2:35 AM PDT

awesome saucy look behind the design of extreme climate and acclimation. Loving it,its about time players can no longer ignore the world around them in MMO

• 768 posts
    August 23, 2019 3:05 AM PDT

Nice work, yet again on the newsletter. 

It's stuffed with information and hints. That streaming program does sound promising. I bet there are tons of jealous people eager to watch those streams.

Death by hypothermia?! Can't wait to encounter it!

Keep up the good work. Patience remains a virtue and good things come to those who wait. So put me down for one of those! 

• 3852 posts
    August 23, 2019 7:31 AM PDT

((I feel like we are starting to spiral towards Vanguard territory.))

We could do a lot worse than wind up with a game that is 1/3 EQ, 1/3 Vanguard, and 1/3 new.

The problem with Vanguard wasn't the game. The problem was that it was rolled out way before it was ready. 

Not that it was perfect but EQ itself, the Holy Grail to many here, wasn't perfect either.

If Pantheon is the successor to both Vangaurd and EQ it will be a better game than if it is merely the successor to either. Certainly Vanguard had some things that weren't as good as EQ's approach but it also had some things that were far *better*. Not least crafting and harvesting.

• 159 posts
    August 23, 2019 9:17 AM PDT

This whole newsletter was a total disappointment... I'm not looking forward to these streams. I'm not biting anymore. The proof is in the pudding. I want some pudding. Not the streams where you nit'pick who you use and what you show us. RESULTS!!  No more PA's. No more treating the people that pledge at a level that'll give them PA access like they are elitist over the rest of us. They have done had 4 PA's. It is time to get the rest of the supports in the game.  I'm am confortable with saying that most of your support has come from the people that can only pledge at the $50 to $300 level without seeing hard data to back that up. Get us in the game.

• 844 posts
    August 23, 2019 11:37 AM PDT

MMO's, true MMO's not instanced MMO's, are always a WIP. There is no actual "finish" or "ready" point.

• 8 posts
    August 23, 2019 12:59 PM PDT

Vander said:

This whole newsletter was a total disappointment... I'm not looking forward to these streams. I'm not biting anymore. The proof is in the pudding. I want some pudding. Not the streams where you nit'pick who you use and what you show us. RESULTS!!  No more PA's. No more treating the people that pledge at a level that'll give them PA access like they are elitist over the rest of us. They have done had 4 PA's. It is time to get the rest of the supports in the game.  I'm am confortable with saying that most of your support has come from the people that can only pledge at the $50 to $300 level without seeing hard data to back that up. Get us in the game.

I can't agree more!!! After this "NewsLetDowner" i'm beginning to regret my over priced Alpha pledge. After pre alpha 54 is finally done, I still feel like special snowflakes will get extra access.

• 1247 posts
    August 23, 2019 1:16 PM PDT

VR: you continue to go above and beyond. Pantheon will be AMAZING! Keep up the good work! :)

• 32 posts
    August 23, 2019 1:33 PM PDT

I think it is time to leave for a while, maybe check back in 3 to 4 months.  Hopefully by then, alpha will be on the horizon.  I still have faith in VR but can't stand watching the slow progress.  

• 945 posts
    August 23, 2019 2:12 PM PDT

Rzar said:

I think it is time to leave for a while, maybe check back in 3 to 4 months.  Hopefully by then, alpha will be on the horizon.  I still have faith in VR but can't stand watching the slow progress.  

It will be much much longer than 3-4 months bud.  Maybe Alpha next summer at the earliest by my guess but definitely not by this winter.

Glyphs in the blood though?! Cool shiz!

This post was edited by Darch at August 23, 2019 2:15 PM PDT
    • 696 posts
    August 23, 2019 3:17 PM PDT

Kind of sucks they're going with glyphs and not resistance type of gear for the climate system...very big missed opportunity.

This post was edited by Watemper at August 23, 2019 3:18 PM PDT
    • 379 posts
    August 23, 2019 9:36 PM PDT

Vander said:

Wow, someone with the guts to speak their mind (especially on these forums). Very appreciated.

• 1479 posts
    August 24, 2019 12:00 AM PDT

Fragile said:

Wow, someone with the guts to speak their mind (especially on these forums). Very appreciated.

I allways speak my mind on thoses boards, I just don't speak yours.

"Fragile"

• 542 posts
    August 24, 2019 3:12 AM PDT

Watemper said:

Kind of sucks they're going with glyphs and not resistance type of gear for the climate system...very big missed opportunity.

Gear might still be tempered by venturing long periods into these harsh environments. The glyphs could be 1 aspect of it like added personal protection,venturing in the areas with good acclimation score might allow  for influence/slight temper effect on gear long term.Not by spending few hours there.But when it becomes almost like a characters's natural habitat,gear might gain a small percentage of natural resistance to that climat type when venturing there for weeks/months

This post was edited by Fluffy at August 24, 2019 3:16 AM PDT