Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Google's Stadia

• 145 posts
    August 21, 2019 1:56 PM PDT

Anyone seen this? Looks pretty impressive to me. Basically any game attached to Stadia is playable on any screen you have as long as it has google chrome. TV's, tablets, phones, computers. No processing or hard drive needed. Everything uploads from Googles database. I watched a video on it and I was impressed. They were playing Assassin's Creed on it and pulling 60fps. 

Something like this could be the future of all gaming much less MMO's being able to take the game with you anywhere, literally. I don't know what all companies are invested in this but I seen Bethesda, Capcom, and other big names. Something like that could be the future of all gaming. I wonder if the folks at VR have given any consideration at looking into it. Would be nice to take Pantheon with you on your phone even if you had to. 

From what I gather is it has a remote similar to an Xbox and the games and patches and downloads are all done by Google and it's database. Completely doing away with the need for a fast computer all you need is a good internet connection. It went on to say that if you have 35mb speeds you can play any game they have in 4k ultra HD with 60fps. Lower connection speeds would result in 720p with 60fps.

I don't know what it requires of the company developing the game, but I wouldn't think too much seeing as how the graphics are what they are and the worlds are the same. Just a matter of how the game is downloaded and played once it's developed.

• 219 posts
    August 21, 2019 2:04 PM PDT

Google's Stadia was show cased at E3 this year. There are other services like it in develpoment as well. Lots of competition. But I personally don't see how its going to be viable until we have a huge internet upgrade. Like everyone on 1 Gig internet and no threshholds

https://www.keengamer.com/articles/features/opinion-pieces/google-stadia-is-the-future-of-gaming-but-will-it-work-in-the-present/

Check out that article. I think they nail it on the head

This post was edited by Pyde at August 21, 2019 2:09 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    August 21, 2019 2:07 PM PDT

Dedicated streaming services can't reliably manage to stream high quality vid at 30fps (no matter your pipe size, they still compress and have problems delivering it).

They say you *can* stream 4K with 35mb, but if you know anyone who actually tries it, they will tell you it stutters and goes blocky and has compression artifacts, etc.

Never mind the input lag.

For MMORPGs it's not hugely important to have very high FPS and resolution, sure.  There are some things you could do in low res, but to be honest, I find gaming on a modern console that manages 1080p60 painful compaired to my PC rig, so I'm not going to want to play Pantheon at 720p30 or whatever my phone can manage unless it's just to trade and craft or chat.  Even chat would be painful without a proper keyboard.

We need a *lot* more impressive infrastructure to make game streaming work well for anything more sophisticated than Angry Birds Online.

• 219 posts
    August 21, 2019 2:11 PM PDT

Wish I could like / upvote your post @disposalist

This post was edited by Pyde at August 21, 2019 2:12 PM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    August 21, 2019 2:31 PM PDT

disposalist said:

Also, plenty of us want much higher than 60 fps. 

Then you have the tremendous downside something like this becoming the norm would bring where we can say goodbye to player tweaks and/or full mods for games. 

Stadia is a hard pass for me. 

• 145 posts
    August 21, 2019 2:47 PM PDT

disposalist said:

Dedicated streaming services can't reliably manage to stream high quality vid at 30fps (no matter your pipe size, they still compress and have problems delivering it).

I'm not sure about Google's streaming services I haven't used them yet. I know Netflix can be iffy sometimes, but I have more faith in Google's ability to provide a better product than I do Netflix. They showed streams of games played on it and it looked really good. But it's hard to tell if that is fluffed for the advertisement or what. They are getting better with upload and download speeds every day 5g is considerably better than 4g by the reviews I've seen.  Who knows what tomorrow brings.

• 9115 posts
    August 21, 2019 3:44 PM PDT

Moved to Off-Topic as it is not related to Pantheon.

• 1019 posts
    August 22, 2019 8:36 AM PDT

I play EQ2 on streaming service vs. full download and it works fine.  I think the game had to DL a few MB of data then after that it's fully streaming.

• 844 posts
    August 22, 2019 12:19 PM PDT

Will never be as visually good as a decent rig. Probably not perforance-wise either.

They are dumbing down a lot to make it playable thru a browser.

• 1 posts
    December 1, 2019 8:46 PM PST

I have been playing Assassin's Creed on Stadia for a couple days now and it looks great (PC/TV/Pixel 2)... This seems like the perfect spot for an MMO where the real focus is not on super high frames but rather on the content. As for mods such as for the UI, I am sure the dev's could find a way to implement a system to allow for that. My speed is usually around 90 Mbps and it seems like plenty. I am personally excited for anything that helps me out when it comes to needing to buy a new computer every 5-7 years... 

It was awesome playing last night for about four hours and seeing my GPU stay at 34 C because it was not having to do any more work than it would to stream Netflix.