Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 1019 posts
    August 19, 2019 12:08 PM PDT

Qu-Way Nus

Key Nos

Kway Nos

Kay Noes

We all have our preferred pronunciation.  And yours is wrong.  LOL, just kidding but what I'm hoping is that we can get some official pronunciations of some of the Lore, Names and Locations of Pantheon straight from the Devs so we don't have 4 different ways of saying the same thing and having people confused about them.  I'm watching a YouTube video of some guy talking about EQ.  And he mentioned he's been saying Qeynos that way for 14 years, and I thought, you've been saying it wrong for 14 years.  Hoping VR can get ahead of the struggle and just have a Pod Cast of someone just going through pronouncing the lore, names and locations we might get wrong.

This post was edited by Kittik at August 19, 2019 12:09 PM PDT
    • 1428 posts
    August 19, 2019 12:23 PM PDT

dark myr

darq mear

dahrk mur

durk mier

honestly i prefer derp mair

this is satire right?

• 542 posts
    August 19, 2019 12:28 PM PDT

Kwen yos

or then it would be Qwenyos 

let it roll off the tongue whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• 1019 posts
    August 19, 2019 12:35 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

this is satire right?

Nope.  Have you read the lore?  Me either, mostly due to not knowing how half the stuff is pronounced. 

• 1428 posts
    August 19, 2019 1:01 PM PDT

Kittik said:

stellarmind said:

this is satire right?

Nope.  Have you read the lore?  Me either, mostly due to not knowing how half the stuff is pronounced. 

only the dark myr, elf, dwares, gnomes, ogres and skarr.  i don't remember a qeynos.  i'd guess it's elven going with 'kae gnohs' for pronounciation.  we can just use the 'regional dialect' XD because one could say:

dragon

drae gin

drahgan

drak gone

meh w.e any pronunication will do as long as we associate the word with the same object^.^

• 145 posts
    August 19, 2019 3:02 PM PDT

Key-nos is how I pronounced it all through the years. But I should probably clarify that I pronounce melee as Malee and not maylay. A fight is a maylay. Swinging a sword isn't really a maylay to me. So I rationalize it by saying I'm malee'ing in the maylay. It just weirds me out when something has two E's and makes an ae sound or ay sound. Like Jeep...you really gotta get in there and get those E's and say JEEEEEEP.

Ok none of this really makes sense I guess, but it's been burned into my head so long I don't like change.

• 3852 posts
    August 19, 2019 3:32 PM PDT

Perhaps some NPCs will speak - and give us the official pronunciation. Even if they do not have voice acting for everything there is precedent for MMOs having it in starter areas and then stopping. If they decide they want it they can probably get this done rather inexpensively - there are various arts and music High Schools  where the kids can and do engage in this type of commercial activity legally - for very little money the purpose is educational.

Then again I remember listening to NPCs in LOTRO pronouncing the word Rohirrim (the inhabitants of Rohan - an area of Middle Earth) quite differently from each other.

• 26 posts
    August 19, 2019 3:35 PM PDT

Key Nose?

• 257 posts
    August 19, 2019 3:59 PM PDT

My suggestion of hiring Gilbert Gottfried to voice act still stands.

• 316 posts
    • 2419 posts
    August 19, 2019 6:32 PM PDT

I've had this exact conversation, about pronunciations, very recently with several friends and it always amusing the variations of how someone thinks a given word should be pronounced.  For those who study the roots of languages (romance vs intonational vs germanic) where you have difference in inflection, etc, has an effect on how you pronounce these names.

There was a Youtube video I came across about where Commander Data got his name.  Everyone at the reading table was thinking 'dat-ah' where Patrick Stewart first pronunced it as 'day-tah'.  The producer then made a rule saying "The first person to say a name will be how that name is pronounced."  I'd love to get confirmation about some of the pronunciations in Pantheon, particular Dark Myr as that is a point of contention for some.  I go with 'meer' because 'muhr' is just too to close to being a truncated 'mermaid'.  Yeah, I know they were aquatic creatures, but 'meer' sounds better...to me.

• 379 posts
    August 19, 2019 8:40 PM PDT

But it is 'Mer'.

• 316 posts
    August 19, 2019 8:44 PM PDT
    Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wyrm

Actually, apparently the 'mer' in mermaid comes from the Old English "mere", which is associated with the Dutch and German "meer", meaning lake and sea. Those were pronounced "meer" [mir] (any IPA gangstas out there?), so that seems like some fairly OK evidence mermaid may have originally been pronounced "meer maid". So the connection between myr and mer may more rightly suggest a "meer" pronunciation, if we're looking at roots. The pronunciation obviously evolved to "mer".

That's just Google etymology. Im more of a mer-man, myself, however.
    • 379 posts
    August 19, 2019 8:47 PM PDT

Mer in French = Sea. They are an 'evil' race - Evil Sea aka Dark Myr (mer).

• 346 posts
    August 19, 2019 9:22 PM PDT

I always pronounced Qeynos as 'Keh Nos' where it sounds like the ending of the Sub shop Quiznos, even though I ended up saying 'Kweh Nos' even if it's incorrect.

Dark Myr I pronounce as 'Dark Mer' given that they're Dark Mermaids or Dark Mermen. Mer and Myr can be pronounced interchangeably where 'Myr' can be 'Mer' or 'Meer'. However, given they are basically Mermen or as Fragile detailed, 'Mer' means 'Sea' in French it has me lean to 'Mer' as the more official pronounciation.

I'd go as far as call it a Dark Myrmaid (Mermaid) or Dark Myrman (Merman).

• 1019 posts
    August 20, 2019 5:00 AM PDT

Dark Mirror

• 2138 posts
    August 20, 2019 8:06 AM PDT

but the Y gives it an extra kick. Mer is dull. In french the accent sharpens it a bit, making mer for sea sound a bit more like mare. It is the bastardization of anglicanism that dulls it to mer - like "her". But the good will always pronounce it like mare.

And melee, again from the french, like "M'aidez!" help me! "Mayday mayday!" said the airfighters to be understood. Maylay. 

(I think an emergency call in space should be "this is Major Tom" instantly ascribing rank due to the severity of the issue and need for aid in the cold reaches of space and possible futility due to distance by the time the distress call is received)

Intuitively, then, I want to go Meer, for Myr, or Mir. But could it be Mire? dark Mire?

Somehow I want to put a ~ on it. maybe hear it from a native spanish/portugese/latin american speaker :)

dark M~yr! (flamenco stance! *stomp*) 

(crustaceons scuttling away making noises like castinettes)

• 1281 posts
    August 20, 2019 9:18 AM PDT

Official pronunciation of words in lore would be appreciated.

• 8 posts
    August 20, 2019 9:29 AM PDT

I think it is pronounced Dark Myrrh. 

"The word myrrh corresponds with a common Semitic root m-r-r meaning "bitter""

They do seem more bitter than evil, overall.

• 2752 posts
    August 20, 2019 9:31 AM PDT

Try here:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/7088/how-do-you-pronounce/

This post was edited by Iksar at August 20, 2019 9:32 AM PDT
    • 1019 posts
    August 20, 2019 10:11 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Agreed!!

Iksar said:

Try here:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/7088/how-do-you-pronounce/ 

Noice!!

• 346 posts
    August 20, 2019 10:32 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Given much of my communication if not all will be typed, I can probably ignore the proper pronunciation for words in this case.

• 2138 posts
    August 20, 2019 11:36 AM PDT

Syrinx said:

I think it is pronounced Dark Myrrh. 

"The word myrrh corresponds with a common Semitic root m-r-r meaning "bitter""

They do seem more bitter than evil, overall.

ooh!

• 65 posts
    August 20, 2019 5:35 PM PDT

I vote for Kay Noes or "SONY EQ" which is what the creators chose.  

• 1019 posts
    August 20, 2019 6:19 PM PDT

phil85 said:

I vote for Kay Noes or "SONY EQ" which is what the creators chose.  

This thread isn't about Qeynos, that was an example of how a common word with an odd spelling and no official pronunciation can lead people to very different ways to say things and potential confusion.