Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Durations on buffs

• 1428 posts
    August 20, 2019 1:33 PM PDT

disposalist said:

Buffs can be balanced, power-wise, to be appropriate howver long they last.  Whether you want to have to apply them for every combat, or even multiple times per combat and maybe even per person, per combat multiple times, is not about power it's about the kind of game you want.

Unless you are choosing from a large selection and maybe picking different buffs each fight so that there's some changing tactical choice involved, then having many short duration buffs is just a button pressing chore.

To take forward the musical analogy: Buffs, as used in games like Everquest, are mostly like setting a key, a tempo and a melodic theme for the up-coming sequences of the next part of the show.

The classes are like instruments and each has a toolbar of notes to play.  They want to be making meaningful melodies interwoven with the other instruments.  They don't want to be hitting some notes over and over in every gap they get just to keep playing.

It's not about 'hardcore' and 'casuals'.  Long duration buffs would be in *addition* to a full toolbar of other short term tactical abilities, not instead of.  They would be tactical choices that are decided upon and set in advance of a certain section of a dungeon or maybe for a particular raid.  In a similar way to selecting which short term abilities you want on your toolbar, you might want to cast some long term buffs, then swap them out for a compliment of per encounter abilities.

i'm strictly going with what we know to be buffs in pantheon.  the designers did a really great job with moving what would be must have buffs into either, auras, stances or something of the sort.  this would be your key set.  i might be too progressive with how i'm viewing this and it's causing some miscommunication.

i appreciate going with my analogy.  makes it more digestable to understand XD

• 1714 posts
    August 20, 2019 9:16 PM PDT

stellarmind said: stuff 

Classes already have spells and abilities with no duration that have to be recast over and over in short succession. Look at the gainer spender mechanics for almost every class. People will already be near constantly managing their resources and deciding what they should be doing to be efficient and have fun. We'll be healing and nuking, we'll also be CCing, pulling, interacting with the environment, and socializing with each other. Longer duration buffs 100% fill a role in gameplay that is tremendously valuable. There's enough going on in this game that it would be absolute madness to have to recast buffs even every few minutes. It's one of the very worst ideas I've seen on a board full of the very worst ideas. 

Basically what you're saying is that you'd be bored, and therefore the solution is to turn the game into a tedious, button mashing mess. If the game is boring that's a fundamental issue reflecting on all those other gameplay mechanics that won't be resolved by yet another solution that is 10x worse than whatever it's supposed to be tying to fix. With all the things to do in the game, from the numerous combat systems, harvesting and crafting, bartering and trading, exploring and socializing, if the game is "one note" to someone because buff spells last too long, then maybe it's not the game for that person.

This post was edited by Keno Monster at August 20, 2019 10:32 PM PDT
    • 48 posts
    August 21, 2019 6:58 AM PDT

decarsul said:

As the game evolves around camping instead of constantly moving, i don't think its a very bad idea to have buffs get a longer duration as you level or get gear to improve this. Also i do think a lower level should get the full duration of the buff compared to the caster. It should however be mitigated to be more suited to their level.

Please, enlightened the rest of us where you found that recent Dev post saying that the game revolves around camping rather than moving around in a dungeon/area and I can assure you that very few people will heed your "camp". It's a lovely thing certain members in this community have made up in their desperate attempt to hold back an entire server from advancing in the game. No thanks. Mobs do not belong to you just because you say so. A mob belongs to you once you tag it - not before.

On a more topic appropriate note.
    It should not increase with players level, that would be silly - just because you level up does not mean you automatically can cast the buff for a longer duration, just as it doesn't mean that your spells become more powerful.
    For that to happen you should look at stats - this way you can choose one of several things.
    1. Do you want your buffs to be stronger? Go with Stat A.
    2. Do you want your buffs to last longer? Go with Stat B
    3. Do you want a mix of them? Divide your stats between A and B.

Giving people the choices makes for a unique experience.

This post was edited by Ashreon at August 21, 2019 6:58 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    August 21, 2019 7:15 AM PDT

I just thought this can be used as a kind of developers tool to control the pace of game play.

I think buffs should be scaled to lower levels, meaning, higher level buffs should not be able to be cast on lower level toons if levels are a thing.( horizontal progression)

If lower level dungeons are smaller, for smaller(lower) toons, closer to cities making initial corpse runs  a hassle but a learning hassle. Not too bad but still something to learn to be avoided. Then buffs can be shorter duration. Low level groups in dungeons can learn pacing as they choose to crawl or camp, mana management and buff times at their level from classes in their level. that way lower levels may spend longer time in lower level dungeons where turning a corner will be huge. Higher level dungeons will be characterized by heading deeper in distance(taking time to do so) and turning a corner with rooms, jump-scares and wanderers along the way, for instance.

Then at the higher end, with learned player-ability, more "professional", perhaps raiders. Longer duration buffs are more appropriate as the fight will take longer.

However, care should be used to prevent the annoying af attitude some people have where they can't go anywhere without buffs. You take the buffs the devgods gave you and be happy with it. If you happen to get other buffs because of who joins the group, then blessings be upon you. But the fact you dont have precious shaman buffs or enchanter buffs or god forbid a movement buff should not make you wait 45min until you can get them or waste time by shouting for buffs. Get moving and get to that adventure- fight with what the devgods gave you and become a better person for it and stop wasting my time and cluttering general chat because you think you cant move without them. Pick up your mat and walk!

• 2419 posts
    August 21, 2019 7:16 AM PDT

Ashreon said:

It should not increase with players level, that would be silly - just because you level up does not mean you automatically can cast the buff for a longer duration, just as it doesn't mean that your spells become more powerful.

But the buffs/heals/DDs/Dots need to grow as you level because as you level the creatures you are fighting are getting more powerful. If you have a gap of, say, 6 levels between a given line of spells, that spell will quickly become underpowered compared to the creatures you fight.

No, buffs, heals, DDs and Dots need to grow in strength as you level until they are replaced by the next spell in the line.

• 3852 posts
    August 21, 2019 7:33 AM PDT

Ashreon - while it is entirely reasonable to have buff durations stay the same as players level it is far from reasonable to have them remain the same power. As Vandraad said - enemies get more powerful with levels and so to must the characters. I have seen more than one game carelessly give a fixed value to important buffs or other abilities. That worked fine for a while when the abilities were at maximum level (and therefore characters could not outgrow them). But as maximum levels increased the abilities became totally useless except for a handful of levels. This will be the case for any buff that is fixed in nature.To be significant buffs must give greater benefits at higher levels.

On your point about camping - I do not know how important camps will be. Probably a lot more so than I would prefer.

But if the culture among players is similar to what it was in the old days - and this is far from certain - you are likely to be very unpopular and have enormous trouble getting groups unless you find a large guild of other players that most of the server will categorize using very negative terms.

Camps were never recognized by the official rules in the games I played and coming in and stealing a camp other players had established was never a violation calling for developer sanction of the camp-stealer. Unless griefing or harassment was involved and could be shown. But it violated the unwritten rules the players had established quite a bit - and known camp-stealers were pariahs. 

• 48 posts
    August 21, 2019 7:47 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Ashreon said:

But the buffs/heals/DDs/Dots need to grow as you level because as you level the creatures you are fighting are getting more powerful. If you have a gap of, say, 6 levels between a given line of spells, that spell will quickly become underpowered compared to the creatures you fight.

No, buffs, heals, DDs and Dots need to grow in strength as you level until they are replaced by the next spell in the line.

It does not have to become underpowered. It only becomes underpowered if your character does not increase in stats.
    If you were to get X amount of stat points per level to assign as you choose your spells would still be relevant for the content and it would make more sense progression wise than oh he leveled up so automatically all his spells are now that much more powerful - that's not how it works and it makes little sense. You don't become a master of it all just because you get better, you specialize. Yes, some of your spells may get more powerful, depending on the direction you are taking as Class X. A Rogue may be able to do more Critical Hits whereas the other Rogue do more powerful Critical Hits. One Shaman may have longer buff durations whereas the other Shaman has stronger Buffs.

• 1428 posts
    August 21, 2019 8:28 AM PDT

Keno Monster said:

stellarmind said: stuff 

Classes already have spells and abilities with no duration that have to be recast over and over in short succession. Look at the gainer spender mechanics for almost every class. People will already be near constantly managing their resources and deciding what they should be doing to be efficient and have fun. We'll be healing and nuking, we'll also be CCing, pulling, interacting with the environment, and socializing with each other. Longer duration buffs 100% fill a role in gameplay that is tremendously valuable. There's enough going on in this game that it would be absolute madness to have to recast buffs even every few minutes. It's one of the very worst ideas I've seen on a board full of the very worst ideas. 

Basically what you're saying is that you'd be bored, and therefore the solution is to turn the game into a tedious, button mashing mess. If the game is boring that's a fundamental issue reflecting on all those other gameplay mechanics that won't be resolved by yet another solution that is 10x worse than whatever it's supposed to be tying to fix. With all the things to do in the game, from the numerous combat systems, harvesting and crafting, bartering and trading, exploring and socializing, if the game is "one note" to someone because buff spells last too long, then maybe it's not the game for that person.

oh dear.  i've stated that i'm defining buffs in according to what i see pantheon has presented us, not the traditional buffs from other mmos.  pantheon buffs are strong.  it's broken if you get an ac buff plus converting hits into glancing lasting more than 10 secs.

what i'm saying is having meaningful actions.  never did i say or insinuate tedium so i'd appreciate it if you took a moment to try to understand me.  i'm not the best at transmitting my thoughts so chill with the attacks and the misinterptations.

• 1714 posts
    August 21, 2019 11:19 AM PDT

Ashreon said:

decarsul said:

As the game evolves around camping instead of constantly moving, i don't think its a very bad idea to have buffs get a longer duration as you level or get gear to improve this. Also i do think a lower level should get the full duration of the buff compared to the caster. It should however be mitigated to be more suited to their level.

Please, enlightened the rest of us where you found that recent Dev post saying that the game revolves around camping rather than moving around in a dungeon/area and I can assure you that very few people will heed your "camp". It's a lovely thing certain members in this community have made up in their desperate attempt to hold back an entire server from advancing in the game. No thanks. Mobs do not belong to you just because you say so. A mob belongs to you once you tag it - not before.

They've said on more than one stream that the way they are moving through the dungeon is to show off the content does not reflect how normal gameplay will be. They have said multiple times that it would be more routine to clear to an area and pull to that spot. There are threads on this subject, many of them. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at August 21, 2019 11:19 AM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    August 21, 2019 11:20 AM PDT

stellarmind said:

take a look at the cleric buffs. any buff lasting more than 10 secs is overpowered.

buffs shouldn't last for more than an encounter.

looking at the skills of each class, it would be ridiculously overpowered if any buff lasted for more than 10 secs at most.

these buffs are encounter changing that can trivalize any fight if it lasts too long.

So you can keep track of what you've actually said. 

stellarmind said:

oh dear.  i've stated that i'm defining buffs in according to what i see pantheon has presented us, not the traditional buffs from other mmos.  pantheon buffs are strong.  it's broken if you get an ac buff plus converting hits into glancing lasting more than 10 secs.

what i'm saying is having meaningful actions.  never did i say or insinuate tedium so i'd appreciate it if you took a moment to try to understand me.  i'm not the best at transmitting my thoughts so chill with the attacks and the misinterptations.

How is it broken? Because you say it is? What do you know of the current balance of the game? If you don't want to be misinterpreted, then perhaps stop speaking in absolutes and give some actual factual evidence to support your opinion. Tell us how AC affects mitigation? You can't. Tell us the exact % of hits that become glancing blows. You can't. Tell us the damage reduction from glancing blows. You can't. Tell us the mana cost, cast time and cooldown on Ethereal Armor? You can't. Additionally, you don't even know what the duration is. Maybe it is short. Do you even know if Ethereal Armor is actually in the game, because not everything is?  Did you consider that if it was in PA4 that it has already been changed like many many other skills and abilities we've seen on streams that vary widly from their text descriptions on this website that are now a year old? Yet you keep repeating that the ability is "broken" and that any buff lasting more than 10 secs is overpowered. Come on. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at August 21, 2019 11:35 AM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    August 21, 2019 11:31 AM PDT

stellarmind said:

Not sure how that is overpowered or otherwise too strong, especially given they are designing the game with these things in mind. You don't have any numbers to base these assumptions on either, for all we know it adds a 5% chance to convert incoming hits to glancing. 

• 1428 posts
    August 21, 2019 11:39 AM PDT

Iksar said:

stellarmind said:

Not sure how that is overpowered or otherwise too strong, especially given they are designing the game with these things in mind. You don't have any numbers to base these assumptions on either, for all we know it adds a 5% chance to convert incoming hits to glancing. 

Ethereal Armor

You manifest celestial armor around an ally. This gift increases their Armor Class and can cause physical attacks against them to become Glancing Hits, dramatically reducing the incoming damage.

reading this makes all physical hits glancing.  that's sounds pretty op to me.  if that lasts even 30 secs that's broken.  they devs are very specific with the stuff being x duration or y percentage.

• 1714 posts
    August 21, 2019 11:42 AM PDT

stellarmind said:

Iksar said:

stellarmind said:

Ethereal Armor

You manifest celestial armor around an ally. This gift increases their Armor Class and can cause physical attacks against them to become Glancing Hits, dramatically reducing the incoming damage.

reading this makes all physical hits glancing.  that's sounds pretty op to me.  if that lasts even 30 secs that's broken.  they devs are very specific with the stuff being x duration or y percentage.

"can cause" = "makes all". Really? Why don't you answer the questions about how the ability is OP instead of just stating that it is and wondering why you're getting grief for it. 

• 1428 posts
    August 21, 2019 11:47 AM PDT

Keno Monster said:

stellarmind said:

take a look at the cleric buffs. any buff lasting more than 10 secs is overpowered.

buffs shouldn't last for more than an encounter.

looking at the skills of each class, it would be ridiculously overpowered if any buff lasted for more than 10 secs at most.

these buffs are encounter changing that can trivalize any fight if it lasts too long.

So you can keep track of what you've actually said. 

stellarmind said:

How is it broken? Because you say it is? What do you know of the current balance of the game? If you don't want to be misinterpreted, then perhaps stop speaking in absolutes and give some actual factual evidence to support your opinion. Tell us how AC affects mitigation? You can't. Tell us the exact % of hits that become glancing blows. You can't. Tell us the damage reduction from glancing blows. You can't. Tell us the mana cost, cast time and cooldown on Ethereal Armor? You can't. Additionally, you don't even know what the duration is. Maybe it is short. Do you even know if Ethereal Armor is actually in the game, because not everything is?  Did you consider that if it was in PA4 that it has already been changed like many many other skills and abilities we've seen on streams that vary widly from their text descriptions on this website that are now a year old? Yet you keep repeating that the ability is "broken" and that any buff lasting more than 10 secs is overpowered. Come on. 

the cleric buffs ARE strong.  the information is there on the website but i'll post it:

Celestial Focus

Epic Skill. When you meditate, you will generate Celestial Power in addition to Mana.

Ethereal Armor

Awaken Bravery

Dramatically increases the Maximum Health and Armor Class of an ally.

Signet of Refreshing

A powerful signet that improves the accumulation of your group’s unique combat resources for a short time.

Edict of Peace

A word of peace surrounds your ally, causing their activities to generate less Hate for the duration of the effect.

Reckon's Shield

Surrounds your target with protective light, reducing all incoming damage by X% for Y duration.

• 1428 posts
    August 21, 2019 11:52 AM PDT

most of what people are would consider a traditional buff spell is either rolled into a passive, aura, or stance.  i'm not even sure if i'm looking at the same game now >.>

• 1428 posts
    August 21, 2019 11:54 AM PDT

Keno Monster said:

stellarmind said:

Iksar said:

stellarmind said:

Ethereal Armor

"can cause" = "makes all". Really? Why don't you answer the questions about how the ability is OP instead of just stating that it is and wondering why you're getting grief for it. 

you don't think that's broken if it lasts 30 secs?

• 2419 posts
    August 21, 2019 12:01 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

Keno Monster said:

stellarmind said:

Iksar said:

stellarmind said:

Ethereal Armor

Nope.  Because chance based calcuations are unpredictable as each 'roll' has no affect upon the next.  You could cast that buff and experience not a single attack for its duration be a glacing blow.  So you just wasted mana.  Next cast though?  You could, however unlikely, see every attack be a glancing blow.  THAT is what makes them not broken or overpowered.  It's also very very lazy design and prone to become overpowere when the coders fail to take into account everything that can affect the buff over time.  This includes changes to stats, other buffs, levels, etc.

• 1428 posts
    August 21, 2019 12:09 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

stellarmind said:

Keno Monster said:

stellarmind said:

Iksar said:

stellarmind said:

Ethereal Armor

Nope.  Because chance based calcuations are unpredictable as each 'roll' has no affect upon the next.  You could cast that buff and experience not a single attack for its duration be a glacing blow.  So you just wasted mana.  Next cast though?  You could, however unlikely, see every attack be a glancing blow.  THAT is what makes them not broken or overpowered.  It's also very very lazy design and prone to become overpowere when the coders fail to take into account everything that can affect the buff over time.  This includes changes to stats, other buffs, levels, etc.

but that's the point.  it's a very strong situational usage buff.  with the 12 lac these choices are more meaningful and you have to plan more.  30 secs is too much if you know a specific boss that does high dps with crushing blows.

to address keno yes i did answer the op question.  the duration should not be increase because the buffs in pantheon is very strong yet situational.  and i'll just restate that most of the 'traditional buffs' have been rolled into a passive, an aura, a stance or something similar in nature.

ps no need to be an asshole i'm doing what i can to understand you and you're making it difficult.

• 413 posts
    August 21, 2019 12:12 PM PDT

I got 4 months to go and weed is legal in my state....  then the 30 second buff is ok if I puff enough....

I kind of like the 50 minute buff.   means everything to a noob.  I remember "ooc/ Buffing all noobs at the Orc lift! Come here now if you want it!"

This post was edited by Zevlin at August 21, 2019 12:13 PM PDT
    • 1428 posts
    August 21, 2019 12:20 PM PDT

Caine said:

I got 4 months to go and weed is legal in my state....  then the 30 second buff is ok if I puff enough....

I kind of like the 50 minute buff.   means everything to a noob.  I remember "ooc/ Buffing all noobs at the Orc lift! Come here now if you want it!"

flying a kite high in the sky for 30 secs is better than flying a kite on the tree line for 50 mins :o

• 2752 posts
    August 21, 2019 1:37 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

but that's the point.  it's a very strong situational usage buff.  with the 12 lac these choices are more meaningful and you have to plan more.  30 secs is too much if you know a specific boss that does high dps with crushing blows.

Again, I cannot understand where you are getting this notion of "op" or too strong when it comes to any of these spells. We have such little knowledge of the numbers involved with each spell you have listed (duration, cost, cooldown, effect %'s, etc) and on top of that we have little knowledge of what average combat situations will be like: how strong will mobs be with/without players having buffs, how common dispells/debuffs from mobs might be, what buffs stack and don't stack etc.

Nothing is over or under powered at this state of the game, especially from our end on the outside of development. 

• 1428 posts
    August 21, 2019 1:51 PM PDT

Iksar said:

stellarmind said:

Again, I cannot understand where you are getting this notion of "op" or too strong when it comes to any of these spells. We have such little knowledge of the numbers involved with each spell you have listed (duration, cost, cooldown, effect %'s, etc) and on top of that we have little knowledge of what average combat situations will be like: how strong will mobs be with/without players having buffs, how common dispells/debuffs from mobs might be, what buffs stack and don't stack etc.

Nothing is over or under powered at this state of the game, especially from our end on the outside of development. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM8DC-PDxiw&t=602s

i based off this video.  we know that we won't be able to cast directly from the spellbook.  we also know that there will be a las most likely 12.  if i have 5 buffs to cast i have to drag each ability on to bar then move on to the next it's going to be tedious to manage long buffs with minor benefits if all we get is a las 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNbcrIWk8B4&t=6s

on this stream most of the 'traditional buffs' are built into a stance.

i don't remember where exactly in a dev blog, but it was stated that they wanted buffs to be meaningful.

if that is the goal, a shorter and stronger buff is the way to go.  if the buff is too long it becomes overpowered.  now dispolist and vandraad are saying that they can be adjusted, in which i agree with.

i mean if i was tanking and a cleric perfectly timed and had the correct buff, i'd be like damn this cleric knows his encounters, even plus points if he communicated it.

that's more impressive and memorable than someone just throwing 7 minor buffs that had to cycle their las 12.

my point is that we are very likely to have an las 12.  having shorter and stronger buffs will have more impact and meaning.  vr has designed the classes in which the 'traditional buffs' are built into stances, passives, banners or something similar.  i'm like a broken record here if someone can better explain what i'm getting at >.<

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at August 21, 2019 2:02 PM PDT
    • 888 posts
    August 21, 2019 1:55 PM PDT
    Buffs should start fading as soon as the Caster leaves the area / team and only last for a couple minutes like this. If you want the buff, invite the person into your team. And give less team-favored classes some good buffs to make them more invited.

Buffs should scale down so they aren't overpowered on low level characters, otherwise it trivializes low level content and promotes buff-begging.

Buffs should either have a mild to moderate effect and last a long time, or be very powerful but short-lasting with a long recharge. Never make a buff short-lasting and fast recharging because it becomes a chore to keep it always up.
    • 48 posts
    August 22, 2019 6:11 AM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Ashreon said:

decarsul said:

They've said on more than one stream that the way they are moving through the dungeon is to show off the content does not reflect how normal gameplay will be. They have said multiple times that it would be more routine to clear to an area and pull to that spot. There are threads on this subject, many of them. 

This is how any dungeon works, be that instanced or non-instanced. You pull to an area you have previously cleared in order to avoid potential Patrols, Mobs Running for Help etc.
    It's standard group play in a dungeon. Once the area you have been pulling from is clear, you advance.

Camping, is, by definition finding a safe to semi-safe spot and not move from said spot at all, usually in a place where a rare/boss spawns, so you can grind for a specific drop. Incidentally this behaviour tends to hinder everyone else trying to either complete a dungeon and it's bosses be it for exploration, quest and/or loot purposes.
    So while it is your choice to camp, it is equally my choice to disregard your claim to a camp. Neither of us will break the ToS & EULA so there's not really any problem.

At no point has a Developer said that Camping will be endorsed officially. Heck the reddit thread a few months ago asks the community what they would do. The community being utterly split between Camping FTW and No Camping.

This post was edited by Ashreon at August 22, 2019 6:37 AM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    August 22, 2019 10:12 AM PDT

Ashreon said:

This is how any dungeon works, be that instanced or non-instanced. You pull to an area you have previously cleared in order to avoid potential Patrols, Mobs Running for Help etc.

It's standard group play in a dungeon. Once the area you have been pulling from is clear, you advance.

Camping, is, by definition finding a safe to semi-safe spot and not move from said spot at all, usually in a place where a rare/boss spawns, so you can grind for a specific drop. Incidentally this behaviour tends to hinder everyone else trying to either complete a dungeon and it's bosses be it for exploration, quest and/or loot purposes.
    So while it is your choice to camp, it is equally my choice to disregard your claim to a camp. Neither of us will break the ToS & EULA so there's not really any problem.

At no point has a Developer said that Camping will be endorsed officially. Heck the reddit thread a few months ago asks the community what they would do. The community being utterly split between Camping FTW and No Camping.

Classic camping is exactly how Joppa has described the gameplay on the streams. Of course they aren't going to say that "officially" because they don't want to scare people like you off. But that's the reality of what type of game this is going to be. You can deny it all you want, it doesn't change anything.