Forums » The Paladin

"Evil" Paladin

• 45 posts
    August 8, 2019 9:19 AM PDT

I notice that the "gods" of many religions today seem to be bloodthirsty.  With that in mind, I think that the Paladin's abilities should vary depending on their deity.  Assuming there are multiple to choose from.  I saw a post that the Paladin gets "free heals" using their wrath.  I think a Paladin who worships one of those bloodthirsty gods might have their healing coming from the blood of their enemies versus a spell they actively cast.  

• 1697 posts
    August 8, 2019 9:49 AM PDT

That would be the DireLord.  That class uses 'blood stances' with many abilities causing bleeding.

• 88 posts
    October 17, 2019 10:54 AM PDT

Hello Mirthosium,

This is a very interesting topic and has been debated on this forum before. Contrary to the views of many casual players, or people new to the genre, there is such a thing as an "evil" paladin in most lore.

A Paladin does not draw his power from his morality, but rather from his devotion to his cause and his belief.

For historical context, The Inquisition or Al'Qaeda both posess a religious fanaticism and are "pure" in their conviction - even if to us it is sick and misguided.

For gaming reference, the "Paladin" was able to fall anywhere on the alignment spectrum of 1980's PNP Roleplaying games like Warhammer and Dungeons and Dragons. Lawful Good, and Lawful Evil being two common choices. This is different from a Death Knight or Anti-Paladin, which many people mistakenly assume when they hear "Evil Paladin".

In more modern times, we have the "Oathbreaker" paladin from 2015 DND, and the Blood Elf Paladin from Blizzard's World of Warcraft.

• 686 posts
    October 18, 2019 1:58 PM PDT

@Dulu - yep.

But as of now, PRotF is going with the Dire Lord as their "Evil" flavored tank.  As mentioned before, this is a topic that has been (and will likely continue to be) the proverbial "beaten dead horse".  I was actuall accused of "being political" when making a comment similar to yours in regard to Al'Qaeda.  But there likely won't be an "evil Paladin", however there could be an "evil" plate wearing class in a future expansion. - I wouldn't bank on it though (unless they gave the DL plate)  :(

• 88 posts
    October 18, 2019 3:47 PM PDT

Darch said:

@Dulu - yep.

But as of now, PRotF is going with the Dire Lord as their "Evil" flavored tank.  As mentioned before, this is a topic that has been (and will likely continue to be) the proverbial "beaten dead horse".  I was actuall accused of "being political" when making a comment similar to yours in regard to Al'Qaeda.  But there likely won't be an "evil Paladin", however there could be an "evil" plate wearing class in a future expansion. - I wouldn't bank on it though (unless they gave the DL plate)  :(

A characters alignment has nothing to do with their class.

• 686 posts
    October 19, 2019 6:03 AM PDT

Dulu said:

Darch said:

@Dulu - yep.

A characters alignment has nothing to do with their class.

Yep... I just agreed with you - again.  PRotF is not using "alignment" or even lore to select their class/race restrictions, they are using balance (or more like imbalance) to make sure that there are enough warrior tanks and cleric healers to support end game content.  If they made the dire lord too desirable or the paladin more accessible, there would be fewer warriors... likewise for the healers.