Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Lack of youtube coverage

• 1281 posts
    August 2, 2019 8:44 AM PDT

Hokanu said:

I feel ya mate, but timing hype is hard, especially when they can't put a date on it. I would imagine they know that any information that they give is going to get jumped on and regurgitated and speculated on 100x louder by a content creator. So they must be cautious with what information they release, when they release it and how sure they are they can back it up on time. 

BTW I like watching Nathan Napalm, really like his creativity and energy. I also think he is very considerate of VR. He makes content that is not about creating hype on his own speculation but on facts only. He is very careful to point out facts and his own personal opinion and that is important respecting the measured release of hype VR want

Tldr No content is better than content that damages the game with incorrect information turning into hype or negative press. So chances are as a close follower of the game you will know info before you see the content creators take on it, because there is just nothing else to go on.

Also I am level 6 atheist ;)  (Dawkins ref) doesn't bother me for a second that he starts the vids like that, all the power to him. 

I, too, like Nathan's content....  His voice though.  It just kills me.  He has a voice made for silent movies.  That said, my voice isn't any better, but I don't make Youtube videos that I speak in.

• 1281 posts
    August 2, 2019 8:51 AM PDT

Iksar said:

No need to start the hype train yet. No need to waste time worrying about people saying "Pantheon will never come out" or those who are "losing interest" due to lack of updates or any variation of these complaints. 

When the game is closer to release the vast majority of those who "lost interest" will come running back. Many of those who claimed it would never come will come out of their holes too. There isn't really anything else out there like Pantheon, and from what I can tell there aren't any MMOs with much of any gravity on the horizon regardless; the MMO genre has been stagnant if not dying for quite some time. 

A hungry person isn't going to turn down a tasty meal because it took too long to cook. 

I am hoping that once the major milestone that is dubbed "Project Farthel (sp?)" is completed that development speeds way up, given some of the dev comments about it.  SUPPOSEDLY, it's a major re-write of a bunch of systems (animation, lighting, movement, assets, et al).  If these these systems are truly "mostly feature complete" (as compared to bug-fixed), then development at that point should just fall down to "content creation" and "minor additions and fixes", which, theoretically, should be alot quicker than content creation while re-writing the underlying systems.  Note that I am not saying that it WILL be that way, just that I am HOPING that it is that way.

Even though they blew WAY past their initial guesstimates of when they would start alpha, I am still hopeful that alpha will kick off this year.  THEORETICALLY, if alpha can kick off this year, I don't see why the game couldn't go live in late 2020 or early 2021.  This is HUGE speculation on my part, however, please take it with a grain of salt.  It's no more valid than anyone else's.

• 521 posts
    August 8, 2019 2:01 PM PDT

I don't think it would hurt to have a little more involvement with youtube/twitch, and that doesn't have to be Only dungeon runs.

Take for example a game returning from around the same Era as pantheon, called Camelot unchained

morning with max

https://youtu.be/Ufb4IHR70EE?t=224

This is basically a video version of what Kilsin does on the forums to maintain engagement with the audience, but a bit more personal and more modern.

Theres also, live coding
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x39cqVsGgp0

And live art work

https://youtu.be/Kcbt3w5jCmc?t=181

Personally id enjoy watching some of the pantheon artists live on occasion.

• 12 posts
    August 8, 2019 3:33 PM PDT

i always felt eq & eq2 suffered from a lack of advertising...those games could have been more popular but i just didnt see the word getting out...we all know advertising works i hope vr has a budget & game plan for it

• 2886 posts
    August 8, 2019 4:09 PM PDT

As others have pointed out, there is still quite a ways to go until launch, so there is still plenty of time to generate interest in the game. It really is not necessary right now. In fact, the relative lack of marketing from VR right now actually makes me more confident that they are in a financially stable position right now. Because if they needed money, they'd be doing more streams and such. But if you can afford to do so, sometimes going quiet is the right move. The past several months definitely are an anomoly, but it's not by accident. Project Faerthale is a huge milestone. And once it is completed and revealed, (if all goes well and it meets or exceeds people's expectations) there will be a ton of new content to dive into and it will get a lot of new eyes on the game. Anything that VR shares before then really just decreases the surprise factor of the reveal. In this industry, you really have to make well-timed waves. A slow trickle does not get as many people talking about your game. But if they save it all up and unveil it all at once, that will get people talking. Things will almost certainly open up throughout Alpha and Beta as the game is more complete and streamable, there should be a solid ramp-up of people talking about the game. That period leading up to launch should be plenty of time to rev up the hype train. Even as someone myself who has a YouTube channel completely dedicated to Pantheon and therefore profits off of Pantheon hype, I'm really, really not worried about it at the moment. I understand that going dark temporarily for the time being will be better in the long run IF Project Faerthale is everything they say it is going to be. If it is, I have no doubts the floodgates will open up and I (and many others) will be extremely busy making Pantheon videos all during Alpha and Beta.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at August 8, 2019 4:10 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    August 9, 2019 3:54 AM PDT

I cannot wait until I can make vids...  Looking forward to Baz's too!

If anyone is interested in Battlefield 1 I practiced my YouTube skills with it in preparation for Pantheon, but got quite into it ;^)

This post was edited by disposalist at August 9, 2019 3:55 AM PDT
    • 801 posts
    August 10, 2019 11:03 AM PDT

One word NDA

You simply can't as a Pre Alpha backer and thats a good thing.

• 62 posts
    August 13, 2019 6:29 AM PDT

Mekismo said:

I have been following a game which some of you may of heard of called Mount & Blade: Bannerlord. They have been showing videos off for years and it's become a joke now about the release date. It's been in development so long that no one thinks it will ever release.

I guess VR dont want the same stigma for Pantheon, would be nice to see some more bits of Pantheon though, I am so excited for this game!

Bannerlord is currently in closed beta but will show new stuff within 7 days on gamescon 2019 YEEAAAAH. I so look forward to this game for like... years now.

And yes i agree. They showed to much of bannerlord already years ago. Sometimes there was no updates at all for a long time, and then again one teaser. But if it is shown on gamescon i am pretty sure at least the open beta will be close and hopefully early access on Steam.

But alas i know a lot of people who looked for Bannerlord are now very negative calling it vaporware. The same happened to Duke Nukem Forever (which was nog a good game but i still found it fun to play) and Darkfall. When released nobody was interested anymore.

I only know one person, besides you forumdwellers, who heard about Pantheon and looks forward to it. I am afraid hyping the game to much will only have a negative impact when the game releases. Most people like the new mmo type of games (fast action, no tab targetting, easy mode etc) and they need time to adapt to this kind of mmo. Hyping it, they might want to try it immediate but won't like the mechanics. Just releasing the game when ready some might try it, make friends and hopefully stick. For me i know this is my type of mmo i want to play. I loved SWG, EQ, VG, Ryzom and a few others. More then the modern mmo's.

But i do like a video of new gameplay/skills once in a while. Maybe not public but just here on the forums so the ones already waiting for it get a glimps of what might be.

• 2138 posts
    August 15, 2019 12:43 PM PDT

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the old zones- listen to me, "old zones" - again. But I understand they can't give away too much, otherwise those streams will become the defacto "maps" for people jumping in for the first time and nothing will be new, not even black rose keep. Instead of allakhazam, it will be twitch-khazam.  

But how polished do some zones need to be for a brief look yet not give too much away? What about the first boss that trained them all back at spawn point? a little revenge would be nice. The goal for the game to be as polished as possible on release is an admirable goal to pacify all the trollish neckbeards, but I'm saying for streams it doesn't have to be so fancy. Just hard.

• 413 posts
    August 15, 2019 7:31 PM PDT

IMO,

The auto-hype systems will be, Perception System, Colored Magic, Atmospheres, climbing, swimming, day/night cycle, Weather system, and crafting system.  All bundled up in a social RPGMMO.  but those systems have to be established and somewhat balanced heading into Beta.

When in-depth gameplay footage of those systems working Harmoniously comes out, there will be alot of hype.

This post was edited by Zevlin at August 15, 2019 7:36 PM PDT
    • 23 posts
    August 15, 2019 10:32 PM PDT

One thing people need to remember is that time spent doing streams and content like that is time away from actually creating the game, and that's especially true for smaller studios. It's obviously still something they need to do, but I've just recently started paying attention to the development and I quickly learned that they are putting a pause on those kinds of things while they buckle down to try to get a huge chunk of work out of the way. It makes sense, and while it's a bit boring for us on the outside, it's a completely understandable thing to do.

And they aren't keeping us completely in the dark, there was a good amount of information in the newsletter last month, and I don't see any reason why there won't be more in this month's newsletter as well. Right now I'm just looking forward to that and watching old streams while the devs do what they gotta do. I believe they've said they're aiming to be done with Project Faerthale in the fall, so maybe it will be as soon as next month, but it could always go longer. They've also said they want to start wrapping up pre-alpha, so I'm guessing that the next pre-alpha will start this fall with the completion of Faerthale, and then alpha will come hopefully soon after that wraps up, probably sometime next year. But after pre-Alpha starts up again the streaming likely will too, and as we get into Alpha and Beta it will continue to increase as they get into actual hype mode nearer to release.

This post was edited by asterlea at August 15, 2019 10:33 PM PDT
    • 145 posts
    August 15, 2019 10:54 PM PDT

Honestly hype at this point might be bad for the game. It still has a long ways to go. The videos I see of it look great so far. But we don't even have a time for alpha set yet. So you get these people all interested in the game and it's taking its time to develop they get impatient, even mad and decide to not even play the game. I had an old EQ guildmate on our servers facebook page mention that very thing. She kept up with it for a little while but then gave up because there wasn't enough happening, now she says she isn't even trying it. Which she's a hardcore EQ player so she will most likely give into temptation but when she posted that it was more like negativity towards the game instead of hype.

What would be best is to wait for beta to be out and a very solid concrete launch date set and advertise on TV some and hammer youtube and facebook ads. I see games doing that all the time and I look them up to see if I would be interested, Game of War for the iphone app comes to mind, they advertised the bejeesus out of that, and although the game is not doing well now they made one monster pile of money off that app. $2.8Billion is nothing to sneeze at. Certainly paid for the marketing over and over again.

Also it's hard to hype something you can't play yet. Only a handful of people are in the game playing and they are under NDA and I'd assume posting videos on youtube would be a big no no.

This post was edited by Moloka at August 15, 2019 10:56 PM PDT
    • 1019 posts
    August 16, 2019 5:40 AM PDT

I don't think Hype is ever a bad thing, what is bad is getting too many people interested too early.  Many of us on this forum have been following the game for a long time and it's not often you hear too much whining of "Get the Game out already" because we, for the most part, understand the process.  

But as more and more people become interested, some of whom don't understand the process, they start to become upset and instead of being chill, they freak out like this game is something owe'd to them.  So since they're aren't getting what they want, or they think is rightfully there (just because they are interested) they become the trolls, the naysayers, the haters and the people who will do what they can to turn others off.  

So, the few people interested right now the better, the game is too far away and the people who are honestly looking for a game like this, they'll find it.  Keeping the mass popoulation away, for now, is a good thing.

This post was edited by Kittik at August 16, 2019 5:41 AM PDT