Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Lack of youtube coverage

• 233 posts
    July 31, 2019 1:45 AM PDT

Everyday i go on youtube, type in pantheon rise of the fallen, go on settings and select videos made today and sort by upload date.
    From that i either see nothing, or something made by Nathan napalm, unfortunately i dont watch his content, i dont like his voice and as an atheist i cant stand it when he says "God is good" at the start of every video, plus his videos dont offer any info, its just him chatting about mmos features in general, but this is besides the point, the main point is that there is no hype for this game, only true fans know what it is.
    I play LOTRO and when i mention this game, i think ive seen one person who knew what it was.
    If i type in any other MMO that is coming out there are tons of youtubers either playing it or talking about it.

There hasnt been gameplay footage in 3 months as far as im aware.

Obviously im not trying to get on to the devs, theyre busy, but there needs to be more hype and more coverage of the game so that peope play it.
    Most MMOs ive ever played are because of youtubers showing me gameplay or talking about the game.

Help them help you.

• 627 posts
    July 31, 2019 2:06 AM PDT

The thing is that its to early to hype it. If you hype to early it damages the overall view on the game. 

- "Why had this game not realeased yet"

- "Another crowdfunding that fails"

- "Releases in 2050"

and so on...

From a marketing view point the hype needs to be timed correctly in order to maximize potential buyers. Some will lose their interest, if they have to wait for years.
    So my qualified guess is, that theres no hype and content released from VR because its to early for them to release such content.

The devs have one chance to release a GOOD product, they cant risk to end up like Atlas, Fallout 4 and No man sky. All these rushed games that flunked biiig time and had immediately bad reviews on every available platform.

• 18 posts
    July 31, 2019 2:10 AM PDT

I have been following a game which some of you may of heard of called Mount & Blade: Bannerlord. They have been showing videos off for years and it's become a joke now about the release date. It's been in development so long that no one thinks it will ever release.

I guess VR dont want the same stigma for Pantheon, would be nice to see some more bits of Pantheon though, I am so excited for this game!

This post was edited by Mekismo at July 31, 2019 2:11 AM PDT
    • 839 posts
    July 31, 2019 2:57 AM PDT

I feel ya mate, but timing hype is hard, especially when they can't put a date on it. I would imagine they know that any information that they give is going to get jumped on and regurgitated and speculated on 100x louder by a content creator. So they must be cautious with what information they release, when they release it and how sure they are they can back it up on time. 

BTW I like watching Nathan Napalm, really like his creativity and energy. I also think he is very considerate of VR. He makes content that is not about creating hype on his own speculation but on facts only. He is very careful to point out facts and his own personal opinion and that is important respecting the measured release of hype VR want

Tldr No content is better than content that damages the game with incorrect information turning into hype or negative press. So chances are as a close follower of the game you will know info before you see the content creators take on it, because there is just nothing else to go on.

Also I am level 6 atheist ;)  (Dawkins ref) doesn't bother me for a second that he starts the vids like that, all the power to him. 

• 216 posts
    July 31, 2019 5:25 AM PDT

It cant be long until they show us some PF i'd imagine, and when they do I hope they ramp up the streamer program again and really show off the game with many people all exploring PF.

• 793 posts
    July 31, 2019 5:31 AM PDT

Aren't the Alpha testers still under an NDA??

• 470 posts
    July 31, 2019 5:42 AM PDT

@Grimseethe 

Pre-alpha is usually insanely slow for information, so most YouTubers probably won't mess with investing into videos until they have something that will get them views. You do have a few exceptions atm that are fairly dedicated to Pantheon content. Bazgrim makes his videos on a pretty regular schedule. Voices of Terminus have been going strong for quite some time and then you have Chris kane with his awesome lore readings as well as Pantheon Plus. 

Unfortunately until they drop Project Faerthal there probably won't be much new game content to chew on for most YouTubers. But once those gates open I expect you'll have quite a few rushing to make content. Until then it's just a bit of a waiting game.

Fulton said:

Still in pre-alpha but yes, they are. The only ones that get special exceptions to this usually are the streamers that they allow in on a play session to stream to their audiences. But anything beyond that is a no go. They have got a streamer program I assume will be used in alpha to some degree. So there may be some streams not NDAed bound by those in the program. I'm not entirely sure how that is going to work.

This post was edited by Kratuk at July 31, 2019 5:43 AM PDT
    • 216 posts
    July 31, 2019 5:43 AM PDT

Fulton said:

Yes the Pre alpha testers are under NDA and we cant talk about the game at all. However there is a streamer program that allows some people to stream content we saw it with MRhappy, alexsensual and various others, these people can stream footage from Pre Alpha most of the time they will have a Dev following along with them in the party, or at least that's how its been so far.

• 1315 posts
    July 31, 2019 5:59 AM PDT

Typically NDAs last till the beginning of Open Beta.  The industry adopting that stupid money grab concept of early access has muddied the waters but otherwise any time before the game goes live the company can enforce an NDA.

On a side note it might be interesting to see if a game can have an NDA of some sort as part of actual game play.  In other words the company retains rights to all copywriteable images and words and some form of trade secret protection for the actual function of the game.  In reality this would mean that only the company or their contracted streamers could publicly post any game details and any third party site can be sent a cease and desist notice.

It would keep the game much more about personal discovery and less about who can look it up fastest.

• 200 posts
    July 31, 2019 6:42 AM PDT

Grimseethe said:

Everyday i go on youtube, type in pantheon rise of the fallen, go on settings and select videos made today and sort by upload date.
    From that i either see nothing, or something made by Nathan napalm, unfortunately i dont watch his content, i dont like his voice and as an atheist i cant stand it when he says "God is good" at the start of every video, plus his videos dont offer any info, its just him chatting about mmos features in general, but this is besides the point, the main point is that there is no hype for this game, only true fans know what it is.
    I play LOTRO and when i mention this game, i think ive seen one person who knew what it was.
    If i type in any other MMO that is coming out there are tons of youtubers either playing it or talking about it.

There hasnt been gameplay footage in 3 months as far as im aware.

Obviously im not trying to get on to the devs, theyre busy, but there needs to be more hype and more coverage of the game so that peope play it.
    Most MMOs ive ever played are because of youtubers showing me gameplay or talking about the game.

Help them help you.

/applaud

Also, I feel like they are alluding to the update we have all been waiting for in August's newsletter. We shall see!

• 1404 posts
    July 31, 2019 7:49 AM PDT

Didn't we just have a "need more hype" thread last month?

• 1584 posts
    July 31, 2019 8:09 AM PDT
    Hyping period it pretty easy to judge, I'd say wait til you know it's basically ready to be released in a good state, generally around the same time most rushed products actually release their product, shame on them, and than you start advertising it but still work on all your p's and q's to polish your game, which should be around 3 to 6 months, in this time period which generally would be your biggest rush of supporters to pay attention to your game, before they start losing interest. And since we are no where near 3 to 6 months I'm fine with seeing no hype, because we easily have over a year before the game releases.
    • 2419 posts
    July 31, 2019 8:25 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

Didn't we just have a "need more hype" thread last month?

When haven't we had a 'need more hype' thread?  We need more hype..and not just hype about all the different tree fronds they are designing.

• 14 posts
    July 31, 2019 9:53 AM PDT
    Grimseethe!

Sup man, first off I I’m with you wish more people were able to make YouTube’ies coving this game. Love just checking out peoples perspectives when it comes to Pantheon.

I’m sure there are others but right now YouTube vids are not searchable by its tags unless the creator posts more than once a week. My channel is great example ;P

Not sure if it’s out there but a post covering down on all the content creators would be helpful for peeps.

Interested in checking my stuff out google “call me cleeze” you can find me.

~Cleeze
    • 116 posts
    July 31, 2019 11:50 AM PDT
    People are feeling hungry and the the trickle of info the newsletter provides is not meeting everybody’s need at this point.

I’m sure more info will pop once Faerthale is done.

And yes, pre-alpha players are under NDA, but some give it away when they ‘correct others’ with info that could only be known from pre-alpha.

Patience is hard, but there’s nothing to be done but wait, and entertain ourselves with threads, conversations, and speculation.
    • 1281 posts
    July 31, 2019 12:36 PM PDT

The game is still in early development. We've seen almost all of the zones they have as far as I know (except maybe Wild's End). Before you know it, you'll be playing the game.

• 388 posts
    July 31, 2019 2:23 PM PDT

you don't wanna over hype on a game that's 2+ years away. that's a Long time.  but,

I do think they should do streams every 4-5 months  jus to show an hour or two of progress/gameplay. something. of course this is just me being hyped and wanting any little nugget i can get.

• 2138 posts
    July 31, 2019 2:41 PM PDT

I don't know what I am talking about. I am not an industry insider or person, I am a consumer or a "user" as so disdainfully called in the Tron remake, I like to think I am not a filthy casual, and hang around those who truly are not filthy casuals and try to emulate their speech when I meet new aqauintences in a subtle way to bolster their opinion of me.

But my opinion is that the Perception(tm) of the development of this game to the outside world, is now entering what Douglas Adams reffred to as "the long dark tea-time of the soul". As a fanboi I think it is admirable that this zeitgeist has manifest 4 or 5 years in? Mostly out of frustration I think.

This has to be a rough time on both sides, for the Phans and the Devs because the devs have released info in the newsletters specifically showing mechanical gameplay development stuff but the Phan appetite is still not sated. 

So here I am begging for something anything! and clammoring about Dwarf Paladins! and swimming! and crafting! and those banners were too, tooo...! and what I really want is another 3 hour stream of Devs or newbie streamers making mistakes and dieing.

But instead the the newsletter comes out with things I should be interested in, things I will use everyday like spell effects and their differences, climbing in real life game, jumping and falling, a little showing-off by the artists on how they are putting things together, the very artists they touted and I forgot I said was a good thing- and contributed to- 6 months ago...

And I slap that off the table, because I'm asking for dwarf paladins and while I'm at it, Myr and Skar knees, but what I really want is 3 hours of streaming just so I can chew that like a cow with 4 stomachs and buzz on the forums and listen to what the non filthy casuals say about it. And if they gave me dwarf paladins? I would be upset because they didn't read my mind about the stream.

*crosses arms and pouts*

If I was on the other side I would be close to saying "- FINE-" and think of rash things like, releases, proven cash shop busines models, and whales. And when I am older maybe remember this idea I had about this vision; came close, once. people still playing it.  

• 74 posts
    July 31, 2019 3:14 PM PDT

I have to agree that VR needs to get more streams out in the open if they want to draw in new users who want to help fund the development of the game. I am not asking for a ton of hype, but we need to see consistent streams coming out and not just in one or two dungeons. The lack of content has all of my gaming friends saying, "Pantheon is never coming out" and I always like to defend the team even though alpha seems to be moving further and further out. I understand that only a few dungeons are even created so get an overland group going instead. Start thinking creatively about building buzz.

We can't all drink the koolaid for too long. Nobody wants to see this game workout more than I do. Start sharing more of the game :)

• 2419 posts
    July 31, 2019 3:46 PM PDT

Flapp said:

you don't wanna over hype on a game that's 2+ years away. that's a Long time.  but,

I do think they should do streams every 4-5 months  jus to show an hour or two of progress/gameplay. something. of course this is just me being hyped and wanting any little nugget i can get.

Back in the day when games were funded by publishers, hyping a game in development to the general population wasn't necessary. You only needed to hype to the publisher to keep the money taps open. But Pantheon isn't backed by a publisher, it is backed by crowd funding. You must keep the crowd interested if you want to keep that money tap open.  The only effective means by which you keep people interested is through routine updates and peeks into the product.  So much of society these days have attentions spans measured in days, not months or even years.  You either put out new content quickly or you get forgotten.  That is just the way it is these days.

• 388 posts
    July 31, 2019 3:54 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Back in the day when games were funded by publishers, hyping a game in development to the general population wasn't necessary. You only needed to hype to the publisher to keep the money taps open. But Pantheon isn't backed by a publisher, it is backed by crowd funding. You must keep the crowd interested if you want to keep that money tap open.  The only effective means by which you keep people interested is through routine updates and peeks into the product.  So much of society these days have attentions spans measured in days, not months or even years.  You either put out new content quickly or you get forgotten.  That is just the way it is these days.

true. i sometimes forget about no real publisher is pushing the hype.

That's ok. I tell strangers on the street about it. or anyone that will listen anyways. 

This post was edited by Flapp at July 31, 2019 6:43 PM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    July 31, 2019 4:44 PM PDT

No need to start the hype train yet. No need to waste time worrying about people saying "Pantheon will never come out" or those who are "losing interest" due to lack of updates or any variation of these complaints. 

When the game is closer to release the vast majority of those who "lost interest" will come running back. Many of those who claimed it would never come will come out of their holes too. There isn't really anything else out there like Pantheon, and from what I can tell there aren't any MMOs with much of any gravity on the horizon regardless; the MMO genre has been stagnant if not dying for quite some time. 

A hungry person isn't going to turn down a tasty meal because it took too long to cook. 

• 1479 posts
    July 31, 2019 10:40 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Flapp said:

Since Pantheon has been stated beeing "partially crowdfunded and having investors", I think you might be a bit off with this assertion. I even remember Kilsin saying "they were funded until release", so...

• 233 posts
    August 1, 2019 11:00 AM PDT

Its not so much that i want streams every week.

If anyone follows ashes of creation you may have seen this video.

https://youtu.be/4m480ManhzQ

Even just stuff like this from the devs, showing us how they make stuff, would be enough for me.

• 313 posts
    August 1, 2019 1:35 PM PDT

I recently started a podcast.  Ep 1 is a deep dive on the shaman with 3 shaman mains (myself, Vandraad, OptimusB).  It's a discussion, not just going over the skills.  https://youtu.be/LzcL0V6YoWk

Hope to record the next episode in the next week and the topic will be WoW Classic and Pantheon.

Also, Fragile recently started a similar style pocast with his first episode on the tanks.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJhU3AnICnQ

This post was edited by zoltar at August 1, 2019 1:36 PM PDT