Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

ai raid bosses or factions?

• 1428 posts
    July 23, 2019 12:32 PM PDT

i know dispositions is teh name of the game here, but i've notice some space sims are introducing ai controlled npc faction that challenge the player base.  think we'll see ai factions or raid bosses that challenge all humans players?

what type of faction or boss would you like to see?

i'd be interested to see an ai faction that wages economic warfare as a way to gobble up inflation.  since i'll be pvp focused, pve for progression, i want anti lifeskilling faction to challenge my resource management(not that i have any just would like to improve without real world implications >.>)

• 193 posts
    July 23, 2019 12:56 PM PDT

I'd like to see something like this. If they're going for a changing, dynamic world, it would go a long way toward keeping things interesting, as long as the AI isn't dumbed down to the point where it's way too predictable.

As far as raids or bosses, the obvious ones come to mind - an orc manages to unite and lead several different clans against a target, wild animals decide the local elf or halfling kitchen smells good and invade, etc. What I think would be much more interesting is having less obvious bosses. Someone in a leadership positition in the court of Thronefast, for example, might be secretly funding members of the Black Rose; perhaps Rhazik has a secret (unknown to Khazas) following in Khadassa and they're working to depose or outright kill followers of the good king, even with outsiders; maybe there's a dark myr or two who have aligned with the Red and a dragon or two in an effort to displace all the mortal races - lots of possibilities.

• 1428 posts
    July 23, 2019 1:11 PM PDT

Percipiens said:

I'd like to see something like this. If they're going for a changing, dynamic world, it would go a long way toward keeping things interesting, as long as the AI isn't dumbed down to the point where it's way too predictable.

As far as raids or bosses, the obvious ones come to mind - an orc manages to unite and lead several different clans against a target, wild animals decide the local elf or halfling kitchen smells good and invade, etc. What I think would be much more interesting is having less obvious bosses. Someone in a leadership positition in the court of Thronefast, for example, might be secretly funding members of the Black Rose; perhaps Rhazik has a secret (unknown to Khazas) following in Khadassa and they're working to depose or outright kill followers of the good king, even with outsiders; maybe there's a dark myr or two who have aligned with the Red and a dragon or two in an effort to displace all the mortal races - lots of possibilities.

oh man that would be pretty sweet.  the black rose raids us?  the raiders have become the raided O.o

• 193 posts
    July 23, 2019 1:32 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

Percipiens said:

*snip*

oh man that would be pretty sweet.  the black rose raids us?  the raiders have become the raided O.o

I'd even be ok with NPC's being able to be successful. Say a couple Dark Myr in cahoots with the Red and a_random_reignborn_04 manage to convince an ogre or two that Khäga Sands’ Orphans have been working against them, so the ogres send scouts or a diplomatic party to investigate, then don't come back. Unless the players can figure out what's happening behind the scenes, some of the quests in the Sands would become unavailable for a time, or might even change.

• 1019 posts
    July 23, 2019 3:27 PM PDT

Percipiens said:

An old game called Istaria: Chronicals of the Gifted started out like this.  I remember loggin in near launch and seeing a lot of the world bright and green.  Loggining in months or a year later and stuff was over run by the blight and things were dark and dreary.

• 42 posts
    July 23, 2019 4:52 PM PDT

I think this idea would be great.  Obviously developing AI to have develop dynamic interactions would be tough and very time consuming, something post launch, but maybe even have unannouced or hush hush global events that could cause a dynamic shift in the economy or faction status.

Maybe an tribute to something like the whitewalkers, but this time the night king wins where the undead take over the city for a month and this causes extreme food shortages where now food & water cost 10x as much.

I can only imagine if these events occur and people are not informed ahead of time, it makes people want to log in more often to make sure they don't miss out.

• 411 posts
    July 23, 2019 5:20 PM PDT

I would like to see something on the conservative side (less ambitious). Instead of whole factions I would like to see single roamers or a single group of NPCs. Basically smart roamers to bring life to otherwise stale zones, but not to overtake them.

• 287 posts
    July 23, 2019 9:22 PM PDT
    It's 2019.... no more stupid static spawn mobs popping up every six minutes. Sane spot, same time, zero intelligence. That's lazy design in this day and age.
    • 287 posts
    July 23, 2019 9:22 PM PDT
    Same spot*
    • 521 posts
    July 24, 2019 5:17 AM PDT

In addition to NPC Raiding and area or fort, I would love to see the Various NPC’s Territory's change based on Player kills over time in a certain area, Push out one enemy and another could move in to fill the void, and depending on the enemy the environment could be affected.

• 21 posts
    July 27, 2019 6:22 PM PDT
    I've been wanting this in an MMO for so long. EQ Next was going to do this with their orc encampments and what not but it can be taken so much further. Making NPCs act on their own an really push the MMO genre to a whole new end. Starting from a factions motive all the way down to the beggars of the town can all influence how the world unfolds. Say from caravans trading only to cities and towns they want to visit because it's too much work to walk their mule and cart across the world, or even kings all doing things within their self interest or their races interest. Maybe some guards going rogue and start slaughtering villagers and the king sets a bounty on their head or they start a militia to be bought by other kings/factions. Making Raid bosses learn from the players and proressively get harder i feel is a must. Especially to drive endgame raiding and PvE aspect . In the grand sceme of things each server has a different dominating race or faction(s) that control most of the world, other worlds being more divided or, the dead have taken over. It could really mean the lore writes itself as history writes our world. They really can make endless posibilties. I'm not too sure how hard it is to integrate A.I. into an online world but I'm sure they can experiment. All and all it would be the direction I want MMOs to go.
    • 193 posts
    July 29, 2019 8:59 AM PDT

BudrikBrimstone said: I've been wanting this in an MMO for so long. EQ Next was going to do this with their orc encampments and what not but it can be taken so much further. Making NPCs act on their own an really push the MMO genre to a whole new end. Starting from a factions motive all the way down to the beggars of the town can all influence how the world unfolds. Say from caravans trading only to cities and towns they want to visit because it's too much work to walk their mule and cart across the world, or even kings all doing things within their self interest or their races interest. Maybe some guards going rogue and start slaughtering villagers and the king sets a bounty on their head or they start a militia to be bought by other kings/factions. Making Raid bosses learn from the players and proressively get harder i feel is a must. Especially to drive endgame raiding and PvE aspect . In the grand sceme of things each server has a different dominating race or faction(s) that control most of the world, other worlds being more divided or, the dead have taken over. It could really mean the lore writes itself as history writes our world. They really can make endless posibilties. I'm not too sure how hard it is to integrate A.I. into an online world but I'm sure they can experiment. All and all it would be the direction I want MMOs to go.

You'd have to be careful with the AI learning and adapting too well. Eventually you'd get npcs, bosses and raids that would be unbeatable. I do think, though that a little bit of initiative on the part of NPCs would be a good thing.

• 1019 posts
    August 5, 2019 6:35 AM PDT

Been playing a lot of UO lately.  Was fighting a Lich, I died, he looted my corpse, I was pissed.  Fought him again to get my stuff back, died again, he looted more of my stuff.  DAFAQ!  I love it!

• 8 posts
    August 5, 2019 10:25 AM PDT
    Can you imagine if the last boss for each epic was a dragon ( or any high mob) ai controlled using all its skills/spells, or an uber special boss that could take a couple guilds....cool way to make sure we stay somewhat a community, and helpful....and allot of rezes....
    ...or an ego check...