Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - What is your favourite character ability

• 9115 posts
    July 22, 2019 3:58 AM PDT

Community Debate - What is your favourite character ability of all time and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 1315 posts
    July 22, 2019 4:18 AM PDT

3rd Edition D&D polymorph any object (Sorcerer Spell) / Pathfinder Earth Kinetisist Stone Shape at-will utility power.

*you didn’t say “in an MMO” so I’m falling back to a tabletop*

Both of the above abilities allowed for outside the box thinking and tools to shape the world around you in a powerful way. They could be used in combat to control the battle field and could also be used out of combat to shape your environment.

It would be great to give Summoner many different types of walls/environment objects that could be built/assembled/stacked in order to operate as a slightly different take on crowd control rather than just turning a mobs brain off.

• 116 posts
    July 22, 2019 5:38 AM PDT

Spirit of Wolf run speed buff from EQ.

Everyone appreciated it, benefitted from it, and it allowed travel to go from tedious to meaningful without skipping or trivializing content.

Loved buffing newbs with SoW. 

• 1247 posts
    July 22, 2019 6:40 AM PDT

Levitation. It was useful for some interesting movement in difficult places.

I am very much looking forward to Pantheon’s climate system. #communitymatters 

• 200 posts
    July 22, 2019 7:03 AM PDT

Necro Lich form. The illusion paired with the life drain/mana regen was great. 

Necro DMF

Wiz teleport

Mez was great

Lastly, I forgot what game it was (on steam) this one character had the ability to take one enemy into an alternate dimension (think Stranger Things - The upside down) and basically solo one enemy for a short duration with a slight speed advantage.  Maybe a group version of this in Pantheon would be cool for immunity or temporary buff.

Edit: found it. The game is called Forge, was originally a pvp game, now just solo i think. here is a description of the shadowrealm 1:25(https://youtu.be/6oV9juTLTnw). I think the other classes have some pretty cool abilities too iirc.

Shadow Shift: The Assassin and the target enemy are shifted into the shadow realm. The Assassin's speed is increased based on the number of punctures on the target enemy. The target enemy's speed is decreased. Assassin's attack as if they were in stealth in the shadow realm. Energy cost: 20 Cooldown Time: 15sec

This post was edited by WarKnight at July 22, 2019 7:20 AM PDT
    • 216 posts
    July 22, 2019 7:26 AM PDT

I'll pick a pantheon skill:-

Arcing Luminance - Instantly restores a portion of your health, then jumps to two additional group members, healing X% more each jump. After the second group member is healed, you will be healed again for the same amount. The amount healed per jump will increase based on your Wisdom.

• 12 posts
    July 22, 2019 7:31 AM PDT

Diablo 2 - Frozen orb

• 945 posts
    July 22, 2019 7:34 AM PDT

I've always loved hard CC.  Mesmerize, Polymorph, Charm, Seduce, Banish etc.  In every MMO that I've played that has had a class with that mechanic I've played that class.  I'm hoping the Bard has some good CC!

With that said, of the hard CC mechanics, I've enjoyed "Polymoprh" the most as it helps players that aren't the most observant really be able to identify which NPC to "no touchy".  It only applied to humanoid and beasts but seeing a giant dinosaur turn into a sheep or turtle was quite obvious which NPC was under the effects of CC that would break on damage and was just fun to do.

• 2419 posts
    July 22, 2019 7:36 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - What is your favourite character ability of all time and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

EQ1 Shaman spell: Cannibalize

I really enjoyed being able to boost my mana through HP conversion, using the high HP pool of my Troll Shaman (as well as the high HP regeneration rate the race had) to full effect.  Cannibalize allowed the Shaman to not rely upon mana regen buffs like Clarity like nearly every other caster (save the Necro) meaning we could operate in far more varied groups and still operate effectively.

• 50 posts
    July 22, 2019 8:37 AM PDT

I really enjoyed the Vanguard Blood Mage's ability "Entwining Vein". It was very similar to the EQ1 Necro lifetap, but instead of healing the caster, it healed their defensive target, allowing them to function as a healer and DPS at the same time.

This post was edited by Aurelio at July 22, 2019 8:37 AM PDT
    • 1428 posts
    July 22, 2019 8:47 AM PDT

Trasak said:

3rd Edition D&D polymorph any object (Sorcerer Spell) / Pathfinder Earth Kinetisist Stone Shape at-will utility power.

*you didn’t say “in an MMO” so I’m falling back to a tabletop*

Both of the above abilities allowed for outside the box thinking and tools to shape the world around you in a powerful way. They could be used in combat to control the battle field and could also be used out of combat to shape your environment.

It would be great to give Summoner many different types of walls/environment objects that could be built/assembled/stacked in order to operate as a slightly different take on crowd control rather than just turning a mobs brain off.

Phantasmal Killer

You tap into the nightmares of a creature you can see within range and create an illusory manifestation of its deepest fears, visible only to that creature. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the target becomes Frightened for the Duration. At the end of each of the target's turns before the spell ends, the target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 4d10 psychic damage. On a successful save, the spell ends.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d10 for each slot level above 4th.

eat your hearts out dnd nerds.
    • 1315 posts
    July 22, 2019 9:43 AM PDT

@stellarmind

Is that the 5th ed version?  The 3rd version was a will then fort save or die.  Was super brutal from level 9-12 on a saves focused caster but clerics would laugh at it and beefcakes would just shrug it off.

• 696 posts
    July 22, 2019 10:11 AM PDT

I never really had a favorite ability. I guess since I mained a Paladin in EQ I would say Lay on Hands. Very iconic and a life saver in dire situations.

• 1428 posts
    July 22, 2019 10:22 AM PDT

Trasak said:

@stellarmind

Is that the 5th ed version?  The 3rd version was a will then fort save or die.  Was super brutal from level 9-12 on a saves focused caster but clerics would laugh at it and beefcakes would just shrug it off.

i've been drinking 5th ed juices.  i played dnd back in high school because i couldn't shoot a basketball to save my life.  yes i was the kid that got picked last XD.  i recently started looking at dnd again.  been wanting to jump back into it.

(fake advertisment)

are you a writer?  looking for ideas for a high fantasy story?  still scrubbing toilets for a living?  well i got a solution for you to become famous like jk rowling, rr martin or suzanne collins!  play dnd scrubs and stop scrubbing toilets.

roll a d20 and transmute your life today!

sorry for straying off topic a bit.  i'll add that bubble hearth was hilarous to do in classic wow.  damn you priests for getting mass dispel.

• 627 posts
    July 22, 2019 10:32 AM PDT
    Healing Rain
    • 1428 posts
    July 22, 2019 10:36 AM PDT

BamBam said: Healing Rain

going shaman i see.  is there a special version of the ability that does chocolate rain, restores mp, non mana classes will gain attack speed buff?

• 1785 posts
    July 22, 2019 10:41 AM PDT

This is hard.  I've played so many games (both online and tabletop) and seen so many well-implemented abilities.  Given enough time I could probably list one from every game.  But here's one from EQ.

Bash - simple, not flashy, but effective.  Do some damage, interrupt an opponent while casting.  Mastering bash was absolutely crucial for me in EQ, one of the first things I learned to do, and it never got less important as I leveled up.  Even in raiding, Bash was needed.

• 1428 posts
    July 22, 2019 10:47 AM PDT

Nephele said:

This is hard.  I've played so many games (both online and tabletop) and seen so many well-implemented abilities.  Given enough time I could probably list one from every game.  But here's one from EQ.

Bash - simple, not flashy, but effective.  Do some damage, interrupt an opponent while casting.  Mastering bash was absolutely crucial for me in EQ, one of the first things I learned to do, and it never got less important as I leveled up.  Even in raiding, Bash was needed.

does this man favor a power tool?  60v?  impact?  no.  this man favors the good old fashion hammer.  still used no matter what level of construction you are at.  you sir are rare and dying breed sniff sniff.

• 2752 posts
    July 22, 2019 10:59 AM PDT

Gravity Flux - EQ

Eeeek! - Goblin Shaman spell from Warhammer Age of Reckoning, was a massive PBAOE knockback/knockdown that hit all foes (players & mobs). 

• 3852 posts
    July 22, 2019 11:11 AM PDT

Tie between feign death (not as used to pull, as used to escape otherwise certain death and then revive the group) and evac (in-combat escape to a safe spot for the entire group). No coincidence that I mention two "oh crap" abilities I *hate* to die even with no death penalty. I have ever since the early days of D&D when it often meant rerolling a new character.

Honorable mention for SoW/bardspeed/any other abilities allowing the group to travel faster.

• 1315 posts
    July 22, 2019 11:18 AM PDT

@dorotea

Your new nick name is Sir Robin.

This post was edited by Trasak at July 22, 2019 11:19 AM PDT
    • 429 posts
    July 22, 2019 11:21 AM PDT

Don't even recall the name of spell , but was (vanguard) druid spell . You casted on yourself/or tank and were imune to everything for a minute . We used it  to go to  the Bosses and Area in APW . ..

Probably a OP spell to be honest myself and a disciple explored the entire zone one night . lol 

• 1428 posts
    July 22, 2019 11:22 AM PDT

Trasak said:

@dorotea

Your new nick name is Sir Robyn.

i'm going to need you to roll a persuasion check dc 30.

• 193 posts
    July 22, 2019 12:40 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Stealth.

• 42 posts
    July 22, 2019 3:55 PM PDT

I don't know if I would classify this as specific character ability, but Final Fantasy 7 Summon - Knights of the Roundtable.  It was what you'd almost classify as an epic quest in single player RPGs as it had so many moving parts to obtain the materia and required you to go through a pretty extensive process. Once you had it though, it was the ultimate reward to help you take down Emerald Weapon.

Otherwise for an MMO, i would say Feign Death as that was the ultimate survival tool, especially we you made those dangerous treks from Freeport to Qeynos or when you went exploring into Kunark for the first time.