Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Scenario - You're caught stealing in a marketplace

• 62 posts
    July 12, 2019 4:02 AM PDT

I am a thief. So i won't bribe the shopkeeper as that is just like buying the item. Nor would i kill him as i am not a murderer.

Nope, i would flee the scene and deal with the guards myself. I will use the arts of deception trying to move unseen and undetected.

• 197 posts
    July 12, 2019 5:48 AM PDT

“You there! Ranger!”, the guard shouted. Therek paused in mid-stride, his back to the merchant’s tent and accompanying guard. A satisfied half-smile crept onto his face. “Not one step further thief!”, the guard continued as the sheering sound of his blade being removed from its sheath rang out. He advanced toward the Ranger. It was true, Therek had pilfered a small emerald from the merchant. Yet, he had done so with such blatant ineptitude that his true intent should have been apparent to even the most causal observer. An overheard tale of a particular corrupt guard prone to accepting bribes in support of the Black Rose was making its way through the taverns of Thronefast. “Turn around thief. You have something for me.”, the guard demanded. “No need for that blade, friend. I have what you want.”, Therek replied, having not yet pivoted to face the man. Therek reached into his tunic, rolled the coins he had prepared ahead of time between his fingers, and turned slowly to see the confidence on the guard’s visage. Therek pulled his gloved hand from his tunic and revealed a three gold coins in his palm. “For your troubles. I would hate to cause further commotion.”, Therek proposed. The guard laughed and removed his plated gauntlet on his right hand. He snatched the coins from the Ranger’s outstretched hand, grasping them tightly. “Stick to woods Ranger, you’re a lousy thief. Now go before I change my mind.”, the guard remarked as he stuffed the coins in his boot and began walking back to the tent. After a few steps, he stumbled, falling to one knee. A moment later, the guard clutched his chest with one hand and struggled to remove his armor with the other. His body convulsed and within a minute he was dead. The drake venom was one of the fastest acting toxins known. In his final seconds of life, the guard’s boot had been kicked off, the coins flying into the air and landing in the dirt. “For the Black Rose, a black thorn.”, Therek whispered, as he disappeared into the crowd. 

• 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:58 AM PDT

Alt+ F4

• 2138 posts
    July 12, 2019 2:47 PM PDT

Caine said:

Kilsin said:

Scenario - You're caught stealing in a marketplace in Terminus, you can either bribe the shopkeeper, kill them or run and try and deal with the guards, what do you choose and why? #MMORPG#CommunityMatters

Get arrested and explore the dungeon look for a quest, "perception ping" gain faction with a secrete thieves guild.

Back up- steal, then try to bribe the shopkeeper you stole from? whats the point?! why not just buy the item!. So I have a chance to get it for free or if I get caught pay double for it? my other choice is pay for it outright and cause no drama? hmm.

I think the shopkeeper should become the offended party and my dealings going forward should be with the guard. If I get caught its because the shopkeeper caught me and alerted the guard. I could pre-emptively assasinate the shopkeeper? but that would have a huge hidden spiritual aggro alarm radius I would think, like the AI would make an NPC that walked by look at a player and a dead NPC in a locked room and say- HEY! player must have killed that NPC!.and that radius woulfd be created from that NPC, which would get caught by any other NPC and expand outward- with faction hits along the way.

So faction- big faction hit against merchant and peoples from stealing. killing said merchant, bigger faction hit still.

Now its me and the guard- different faction, different aggro radius. I -could- bribe the guard if my charisma is up, or kill the guard in an alley and none would be the wiser and slip into the bustle of the street. Maybe someone an NPC will notice the body and sound an alarm but it wont be associated with me, except with faction with the guards.

But I really like Caine's Idea! Makes sense! and that perception ping can change so its not known to happen in that cell in that town, it can change and wander. Maybe a human got lucky in thronefast and found a cool thieves guild ping and got a tiny bit of faction, enough to talk to soandso. But the RNG now moved it to....Skar! waugh! what levels of debauchery would you have to do to get thwon in jail, there?! or gnome area? what- maybe no level of debauchery bothers gnomes- to them its all science, "stealing?" they say, "fascinating" and study you! no theives guild ping! but you are caught in the tower with no way out.

• 470 posts
    July 12, 2019 3:58 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Scenario - You're caught stealing in a marketplace in Terminus, you can either bribe the shopkeeper, kill them or run and try and deal with the guards, what do you choose and why? #MMORPG#CommunityMatters

Always tricky that. But I think I have a solution. You just calm things down, maybe bribe the shopkeep or use some charisma to talk your way out of it. Then you go back with this strategy. =p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ442NHQGco

This post was edited by Kratuk at July 12, 2019 3:59 PM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    July 12, 2019 11:28 PM PDT

So may I politely ask again what the point of this thread is? Is this a content announcement about the game that we're going to see a stealing mechanic? Thanks. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at July 12, 2019 11:28 PM PDT
    • 429 posts
    July 13, 2019 1:45 PM PDT

clearly states I was caught stealing :P  

I am going to run cause no way was i meaning to steal , killing merchants not in the equation . ( might need merchant later ) .

Poor guards little do they know I always have run speed . no killing for me ... besides the guards will forget me soon enough .. ( to guard to watch over , they wont be going far from their post ) .

This post was edited by Shea at July 13, 2019 2:02 PM PDT
    • 1247 posts
    July 13, 2019 2:09 PM PDT

I am going to run from the guards!

#communitymatters 

• 264 posts
    July 14, 2019 11:31 AM PDT

Attempt to flee like the petty thief I am. But I would have escape routes planned before my attempt in case things went sideways, so odds are I would get away.

• 145 posts
    July 14, 2019 2:09 PM PDT

Depends on what I get from stealing. If it's pocket lint chances are I run for it. If it's a shiny new weapon or a nice piece of armor or a considerable amount of cash I might consider a bribe. I guess it would also depend on faction hits and losses of my actions too.

• July 18, 2019 11:19 AM PDT
    Bribe. Adventurers aren't psychopaths. Towns should be free from rampant murder imo.
    • 67 posts
    July 21, 2019 5:24 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Hmm... Yes.. in that order. :p

Try to bribe them, if they refuse.. kill them.. then run and deal with the guards. 

• 223 posts
    July 24, 2019 3:56 PM PDT

I would try to bribe of course while making sure my teleport is up, clearly a misunderstanding since I was just trying to make sure the "stolen" item fit in my pouch. If that fails I would deal with the guards to explain the shopkeeper's unwillingness to accomodate my needs. *casts gate*

• 93 posts
    July 25, 2019 3:49 AM PDT

If I've decided to steal something I would likely try and run.  After all I didn't want to pay for it in the first place!

• 81 posts
    July 26, 2019 11:53 AM PDT

As a Monk I would never steal,  but should I see another doing so....  well a swift kick to the head settles most arguements.

• 510 posts
    July 27, 2019 8:50 PM PDT

As an enchanter, i simply wave my hand in front of their face and announce "these aren't the droids you are looking for"...