Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Scenario - You're caught stealing in a marketplace

• 9115 posts
    July 11, 2019 3:57 AM PDT

Scenario - You're caught stealing in a marketplace in Terminus, you can either bribe the shopkeeper, kill them or run and try and deal with the guards, what do you choose and why? #MMORPG#CommunityMatters

• 1315 posts
    July 11, 2019 4:01 AM PDT

Pshsh, the guards are already on my payroll. 

• 521 posts
    July 11, 2019 4:22 AM PDT

I can steal, WooHoooo

Well since I cant /reload save try again, its time to break out those go go gadget feet.

• 145 posts
    July 11, 2019 4:50 AM PDT

i am an upstanding citizen and innocent of all charges!

• 413 posts
    July 11, 2019 4:56 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Scenario - You're caught stealing in a marketplace in Terminus, you can either bribe the shopkeeper, kill them or run and try and deal with the guards, what do you choose and why? #MMORPG#CommunityMatters

Get arrested and explore the dungeon look for a quest, "perception ping" gain faction with a secrete thieves guild.

This post was edited by Zevlin at July 11, 2019 4:56 AM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    July 11, 2019 5:36 AM PDT
    I am a paladin and since I am a holy class I will have to do what I have to do, and cast my illusion pretend to be captured as I sneak out the back.
    • 3852 posts
    July 11, 2019 6:31 AM PDT

Can only happen if there is some "lawful good" type reason for the shoplift - my characters are not thieves. Not even playing rogues though they use any and all skills against those that serve the Dark - including stealing when such serves the greater good.

That being the case I will do whatever seems most likely to succeed that is also consistent with the objective of the theft. Bribery preferable to murder, other things being equal.

• 1785 posts
    July 11, 2019 6:39 AM PDT

Pay?  You must be joking.  I'm taking off at full speed and finding somewhere to hide from the silly guards, using my wonderful rogue toys to give them the slip.  Then when the coast is clear I'll go back for seconds.

• 1479 posts
    July 11, 2019 6:40 AM PDT

Direlord here. If I steal, it's because it's meant to be mine. So if someone wants to stop me, I will just rampage the hell out of them.

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at July 11, 2019 9:02 AM PDT
    • 245 posts
    July 11, 2019 7:32 AM PDT
    PBAoE everything.
    • 2419 posts
    July 11, 2019 7:35 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Oh, kill them, definitely...then go and kill the guards on the way out of town just because I can.

If stealing were actually something put into the game then it an activity the developers implemented specifically for some reason.  It somewhat makes sense that some races or classes might be into trying to steal from merchants so why not put it in?  The key here though are the possible outcomes..bribery, murder or running away.  Options are good.

Such a mechanc could also be part of quests, tasks or just basic survival.  So yeah, I'd quite happily try to steal from a merchant from time to time just to see what happens.

This post was edited by Vandraad at July 11, 2019 8:30 AM PDT
    • 4 posts
    July 11, 2019 7:41 AM PDT

I definitely bribe the shopkeeper. Chantyman's charisma is second to none, little charm spell and the bribe will cost me nothing compared to the value of the item(s) I've received. Hell, if the shopkeeper happens to be of minimal constitution the charm might work so well that I now have the lowest wholesale agreement in all of Terminus... I'll definitely be back, I'll definitely take what I need, and he'll love to see me each time. Winning. Duh.

-Ayuden

• 193 posts
    July 11, 2019 8:23 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

If I'm caught, I should rethink my choice of class. I guess in the end, it depends on a lot of things. Do the guards like me? Is the shopkeeper someone who is on MyList (tm)? How many guards are between me and freedom? In the end, I'd probably try to bribe the merchant, just because it's a different option than we usually see in MMOs. Could open up a very large can of worms (and interesting quest paths), depending on what the shopkeeper wanted as a bribe.

• 624 posts
    July 11, 2019 8:27 AM PDT

“Caught stealing”? Unlikely. But being a lover, not a fighter I would declare my innocence loudly as the guards drag me off and throw me in some dark oubliette.

Then start composing my Got the Thronefast Gaol Blues riff...

• 297 posts
    July 11, 2019 8:30 AM PDT

Contraband still in hand I begin playing my hit song, "T'wasn't Me"

• 1785 posts
    July 11, 2019 8:34 AM PDT

Kumu said:

“Caught stealing”? Unlikely. But being a lover, not a fighter I would declare my innocence loudly as the guards drag me off and throw me in some dark oubliette.

Then start composing my Got the Thronefast Gaol Blues riff...

A Thronefast Guard says, "Welcome back, Kumu.  We have your usual spot all nice and ready for you.  Which merchant's daughter was it this time?"

• 388 posts
    July 11, 2019 9:16 AM PDT

kill them. Kill them all. 

• 173 posts
    July 11, 2019 10:41 AM PDT

Flapp said:

kill them. Kill them all. 

^^This. Kill, plunder, pillage, BURN.  Let thier chosen diety sort it out...

• 107 posts
    July 11, 2019 10:51 AM PDT

Caine said:

Kilsin said:

Get arrested and explore the dungeon look for a quest, "perception ping" gain faction with a secrete thieves guild.

Caine beat me to it. ...And now I have Jane's Addiction stuck in my head today...

This post was edited by Aanwenae at July 11, 2019 10:53 AM PDT
    • 238 posts
    July 11, 2019 4:50 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Well... if I was stealing I probably wouldn't bribe the shop keeper. I mean if I'm willing to pay them off I should have been willing to pay for the item in question (Right?). So that leaves the option of killing them or running and trying to escape. I don't think my cleric could morally justify killing someone innocent (provided they are innocent). So It looks like I'm putting faith in my healing ability, and trying my luck with the guards. 

I do wonder what my cleric was trying to steal in this situation though. I have to assume that this situation was a life or death situation, and the item that I was after was the difference between someone living or dying. 

I really do hope that we will see some morally gray storytelling in Pantheon, where the "right action", or "wrong action", might not have been so right or wrong after all. 

• 1095 posts
    July 11, 2019 4:56 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Kill them all of course

This post was edited by Aich at July 12, 2019 7:17 AM PDT
    • 116 posts
    July 11, 2019 6:24 PM PDT

l‘m caught stealing.

Ergo, I am a thief and I am not a very good thief.

Therefore, bribery is my best option.

• 1714 posts
    July 11, 2019 7:07 PM PDT

So does this mean there will be stealing in the game? Thanks. 

• 801 posts
    July 12, 2019 3:20 AM PDT

Its a great feature, i did this in Skyrim and not many do it. Also changes factions with some of the towns.

Simply a underdeveloped feature that should be explored. Maybe even give us a faction hit or gain.

• 724 posts
    July 12, 2019 3:49 AM PDT

Why would there be a faction hit if noone notices? Of course, IF you're noticed, there should be faction hit(s)!

That said, as the question is given, I assume we're not stealing something overly valuable. Otherwise it wouldn't be placed in the open on a market stand. It makes no sense to get in significant trouble over being caught then, so bribery is the way I would choose to get out of this :)