Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

I hate QoL Features

• 4 posts
    July 12, 2019 7:06 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Loganizal said:

Jabir said:

Chanus said:

Or having kids, or having a social life, or having literally any other responsibility that means you can't dedicate 16-20 hours to a video game in a single stretch. It's horrible behavior to promote and encourage, especially given this game's likely older population where being inactive for extended periods of time is a real and dangerous health risk.

Being able to sit at a computer for 16-20 hours is not an achievement to be proud of. It's sad.

Thanks for your concern, but I'm perfectly capable of deciding for myself how I want to spend my time.

Oh, and I do have a job, a family and a social life, thank you very much. Hopefully, Pantheon will become another source of social relations.

Agreed Jabir....  Play time, for some will be extensive.  

Chanus, Am i to assume that, by your thinking aboove, Professional Streamers like Ninja/Shroud and a multitude of others, that sit at there chosen platform day after day and hour after hour, are just sad people...???  Cuase im pretty sure millions a years says otherwise in the case of the above streamers.  

So since i was fiscally responsible when I was a wee lad, and saved everything, did without so many things, and just sacrificed comfort for frugality, so that now i can sit in front of my computer for 16 hours a day and do something that I enjoy, that I too am sad?  What about the developers that sit there for 12, 16 sometimes even 20 hours a day to develope and publish the game your currently interested in, are they to sad people?  

Just gonna put this out there, but you kinda sound like a whiny WoW loving snowflake thats made poor decisions in your life, and now you want to ruin the fun that everyone else has worked so hard to enjoy.  Nuff Said

Loganizal

So you literally mentioned all of those streamers but none of them play 16 or 20 hours a day, so your point proved nothing, honestly ninja probably streams like 8 hours at most on most days, which is half of 16 just so you know, the streamer I can think of that probably does the most hours is probably Summit1g throughout the night, and at most he does 12, which still isn't 16, and again doing it because you want to is much different than doing it because you have to get to the end of the dungeon, and that just for the first spawn, let alone if you actually wanted to camp it.  

So again having a dungeon to be 16 through 20 hours long is bad by design 2 hours or something like that is enough of an accomplishment in itself you don't need it to be 8x or 10x longer than that.  It's just unnesscary.

Ahh but you forget the behind the scenes work that streamers put in.  The hours of editing, the hours of extra content creation.  When the stream goes offline the work does not stop.  there still sitting right there doing what they do.  Often times there more behind the scenes work than there is actual stream time.  So yes, they do put in 16 hour days.  Never ever doubt that

• 1315 posts
    July 12, 2019 7:13 AM PDT

Loganizal said:

Ahh but you forget the behind the scenes work that streamers put in.  The hours of editing, the hours of extra content creation.  When the stream goes offline the work does not stop.  there still sitting right there doing what they do.  Often times there more behind the scenes work than there is actual stream time.  So yes, they do put in 16 hour days.  Never ever doubt that

To be fair both while streamers like Ninja are streaming and doing off screen production work they are in fact working.  Many of us have desk jobs that take 8-10 hours 5-6 days a week and streaming is a job that just also happens to be turning a hobby into a career.  I wouldn’t be surprised though to hear that they are either developing health issues or working movement and off screen time into their day in such a way that it would be considered a break in continuous play.

• 1399 posts
    July 12, 2019 8:26 AM PDT

Chanus said:

Jabir said:

Chanus said:

The problem with a 16-20 hour dungeon is you need to make it rewarding enough to be worth that time sink, but in order to make it worth doing you set up a system where there are rewards that most players can't obtain simply because they have lives outside of the game to think about. That's not good game design. The challenge from the game should entirely be from the game itself, not whether or not I have a job to go to.

I strongly, but respectfully disagree. Such a challenge would come from the game itself.

Having a job does not exclude anybody from such an undertaking. Having two or three might, not one.

Or having kids, or having a social life, or having literally any other responsibility that means you can't dedicate 16-20 hours to a video game in a single stretch. It's horrible behavior to promote and encourage, especially given this game's likely older population where being inactive for extended periods of time is a real and dangerous health risk.

Being able to sit at a computer for 16-20 hours is not an achievement to be proud of. It's sad.

Give up the "got a life" argument Chanus, it has been discredited by myself and dozens of others as a non issue, I and many others did EQ 1 while married, 3 school age kids, full time job, and other hobbies.

I had weekends, vacations, sick days all that allowed me to get my Epic and the mobs/camps that went with them. Just because a person can't spend 20 hours on every day does not mean there won't be days they can. Sound to me like your advocating easy mode because you want it all now.

• 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 8:36 AM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

I Don't play games for the challenge, So QoL features for the most part are fine with me.

The essence of a game is in challenge and compeition. If you want entertainment then there are plenty of those out their already.

• 1584 posts
    July 12, 2019 8:39 AM PDT

Loganizal said:

Riahuf22 said:

Loganizal said:

Jabir said:

Chanus said:

Thanks for your concern, but I'm perfectly capable of deciding for myself how I want to spend my time.

Oh, and I do have a job, a family and a social life, thank you very much. Hopefully, Pantheon will become another source of social relations.

Agreed Jabir....  Play time, for some will be extensive.  

Chanus, Am i to assume that, by your thinking aboove, Professional Streamers like Ninja/Shroud and a multitude of others, that sit at there chosen platform day after day and hour after hour, are just sad people...???  Cuase im pretty sure millions a years says otherwise in the case of the above streamers.  

So since i was fiscally responsible when I was a wee lad, and saved everything, did without so many things, and just sacrificed comfort for frugality, so that now i can sit in front of my computer for 16 hours a day and do something that I enjoy, that I too am sad?  What about the developers that sit there for 12, 16 sometimes even 20 hours a day to develope and publish the game your currently interested in, are they to sad people?  

Just gonna put this out there, but you kinda sound like a whiny WoW loving snowflake thats made poor decisions in your life, and now you want to ruin the fun that everyone else has worked so hard to enjoy.  Nuff Said

Loganizal

So you literally mentioned all of those streamers but none of them play 16 or 20 hours a day, so your point proved nothing, honestly ninja probably streams like 8 hours at most on most days, which is half of 16 just so you know, the streamer I can think of that probably does the most hours is probably Summit1g throughout the night, and at most he does 12, which still isn't 16, and again doing it because you want to is much different than doing it because you have to get to the end of the dungeon, and that just for the first spawn, let alone if you actually wanted to camp it.  

So again having a dungeon to be 16 through 20 hours long is bad by design 2 hours or something like that is enough of an accomplishment in itself you don't need it to be 8x or 10x longer than that.  It's just unnesscary.

And thy want to edit their films, nothing says that they had to do that, in anyway or fashion, yes editing is a tool they do for their JOB=WORK, like i said, I dont want to play my game and it feel like a JOB i have to do just to do a dungeon, so how about instead of trying to work around my statement just realize it is bad design and get off of it.

• 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 8:51 AM PDT

Chanus said:

Jabir said:

Chanus said:

The problem with a 16-20 hour dungeon is you need to make it rewarding enough to be worth that time sink, but in order to make it worth doing you set up a system where there are rewards that most players can't obtain simply because they have lives outside of the game to think about. That's not good game design. The challenge from the game should entirely be from the game itself, not whether or not I have a job to go to.

I strongly, but respectfully disagree. Such a challenge would come from the game itself.

Having a job does not exclude anybody from such an undertaking. Having two or three might, not one.

Sounds like a personal problem..maybe you aren't meant to do that 16-20 hour dungeon and let the people who can earn their achievements while you do what you can do.

• 1315 posts
    July 12, 2019 8:53 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

Give up the "got a life" argument Chanus, it has been discredited by myself and dozens of others as a non issue, I and many others did EQ 1 while married, 3 school age kids, full time job, and other hobbies.

I had weekends, vacations, sick days all that allowed me to get my Epic and the mobs/camps that went with them. Just because a person can't spend 20 hours on every day does not mean there won't be days they can. Sound to me like your advocating easy mode because you want it all now.

There is a big difference between 45 minute spawn cycle that only has a one in 20 chance of spawning the desired mob (sudo 15 hour spawn on average) and an encounter that take 15 straight house of play to complete.  Finding most of those rare epic mobs up was a matter of chance more than a required continuous camp.  Sure people would claim they had the camp but realistically it was a race to get to the mob when it actually spawned and sometimes that meant a race to get a full group together.  This was especially true for the multiday respawn raid mobs.  The monk Epic had that horrible Rastor of Guk that would despawn if you didn’t kill him before the next respawn which forced you to sit there and wait for him but technically you could just log out and comeback the next day(I don’t want to talk about how much time it took me to get the monk epic 3 different times).

Theoretically all those items could be camped in 2 hour increments that often just end in failure.  The more random respawn times and locations become the more futile it will be to deliberately camp a specific named mob.  I personally hope that most of the epic open world raid bosses are almost completely unpredictable or trigger able with extensive farming.

All that being said I do like the idea of say a 4 hour mobile encounter that only allows for short rests and even one wipe forces you to start over.  That would be an encounter of both skill and endurance as well as team coordination.  I am not too sure how that would work in an open world environment where you could either zerg the area or just plain run into another group already doing the encounter.

• 313 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:03 AM PDT

Lol.  A 16 hour dungeon crawl is insane.  I mean, I got no problem with a giant dungeon with different parts that could add up to 16 hours of play to clear.  But you should be able to break that up into chunks of no more than 3-4 hours, and 1-2 hours is ideal.

• 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:07 AM PDT

Trasak said:

Zorkon said:

There is a big difference between 45 minute spawn cycle that only has a one in 20 chance of spawning the desired mob (sudo 15 hour spawn on average) and an encounter that take 15 straight house of play to complete.  Finding most of those rare epic mobs up was a matter of chance more than a required continuous camp.  Sure people would claim they had the camp but realistically it was a race to get to the mob when it actually spawned and sometimes that meant a race to get a full group together.  This was especially true for the multiday respawn raid mobs.  The monk Epic had that horrible Rastor of Guk that would despawn if you didn’t kill him before the next respawn which forced you to sit there and wait for him but technically you could just log out and comeback the next day(I don’t want to talk about how much time it took me to get the monk epic 3 different times).

Theoretically all those items could be camped in 2 hour increments that often just end in failure.  The more random respawn times and locations become the more futile it will be to deliberately camp a specific named mob.  I personally hope that most of the epic open world raid bosses are almost completely unpredictable or trigger able with extensive farming.

All that being said I do like the idea of say a 4 hour mobile encounter that only allows for short rests and even one wipe forces you to start over.  That would be an encounter of both skill and endurance as well as team coordination.  I am not too sure how that would work in an open world environment where you could either zerg the area or just plain run into another group already doing the encounter.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. With the sudo 15 hour respawn timer you can get lucky and get it  quickly...the other one is a minimum of 15 hours but you will get the piece. You can blame RNG for the most part on those sudo 15 hours spawn timers. In EQ I did Paw of Opalla 3 or 4 times and that mummy spawn ranged from the first one taking be about a day of play time and the second one taking me 2 hours. Third one was like 3 days lol. Anything with a place holder will have RNG unless if they code it in that after 5 placeholders the guaranteed name will spawn out of pity or something.

• 521 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:15 AM PDT

Watemper said:

HemlockReaper said:

I Don't play games for the challenge, So QoL features for the most part are fine with me.

The essence of a game is in challenge and compeition. If you want entertainment then there are plenty of those out their already.

Games are a form of Entertainment, therefore the essence of any game is entertainment, not challenge.

• 297 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:34 AM PDT

Entertainment and challenge are not mutually exclusive.

Their definitions are also entirely fluid.

• 2419 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:36 AM PDT

Chanus said:

Entertainment and challenge are not mutually exclusive.

Their definitions are also entirely fluid.

So very true.  I wish more people understood that fact.

• 1584 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:36 AM PDT

Watemper said:

Trasak said:

Zorkon said:

Both have advantages and disadvantages. With the sudo 15 hour respawn timer you can get lucky and get it  quickly...the other one is a minimum of 15 hours but you will get the piece. You can blame RNG for the most part on those sudo 15 hours spawn timers. In EQ I did Paw of Opalla 3 or 4 times and that mummy spawn ranged from the first one taking be about a day of play time and the second one taking me 2 hours. Third one was like 3 days lol. Anything with a place holder will have RNG unless if they code it in that after 5 placeholders the guaranteed name will spawn out of pity or something.

Where anywhere in this discussion was it you go 14 hours on this entire dungeon and your guaranteed to get what you want?  No where did anyone say that and that is terrible by design anyway.  So now you added in 2 terrible designs trying to make a good design, and it just doesn't work.  For one let's get real VR is not going to make a dungeon that takes 16 hours to get through, it just not going to happen so let's all start being realistic with this situation and stop trolling ourselves with this discussion.

• 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:37 AM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

Watemper said:

HemlockReaper said:

Games are a form of Entertainment, therefore the essence of any game is entertainment, not challenge.

I think you are looking at the wrong game then?

This post was edited by Watemper at July 12, 2019 9:42 AM PDT
    • 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:39 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Watemper said:

Trasak said:

Zorkon said:

Where anywhere in this discussion was it you go 14 hours on this entire dungeon and your guaranteed to get what you want?  No where did anyone say that and that is terrible by design anyway.  So now you added in 2 terrible designs trying to make a good design, and it just doesn't work.  For one let's get real VR is not going to make a dungeon that takes 16 hours to get through, it just not going to happen so let's all start being realistic with this situation and stop trolling ourselves with this discussion.

I bolded it for you in trasak quote... So you can read easier.

• 23 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:42 AM PDT

Since we are voicing opinions, I love QoL features.

• 1584 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:43 AM PDT

Watemper said:

Riahuf22 said:

Watemper said:

Trasak said:

Zorkon said:

I bolded it for you in trasak quote... So you can read easier.

So you avoid the whole discussion entirely ok I get it I'll take that a point for me, sense obviously we both know this whole situation isn't going to happen so how about you go and start trolling someone else......troll

This post was edited by Cealtric at July 12, 2019 9:46 AM PDT
    • 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:46 AM PDT

@Raihuf22

Lol okay. Not my fault you can't read. I never advocated for it..I was just pointing out advantages and disadvantages...but you do you.

This post was edited by Watemper at July 12, 2019 9:47 AM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:54 AM PDT

Watemper said:

@Raihuf22

Lol okay. Not my fault you can't read. I never advocated for it..I was just pointing out advantages and disadvantages...but you do you.

There aren't any advantages in it at all its simple bad game design, you can keep saying their is but that doesn't actually make it so, and if you can't see how bad it is than their isn't anything anyone can say to change your mind. To me I would rather have a chance of getting an item with 15 hours of camping than be guaranteed 15 hours of dungeon crawling to get to the mob, that would likely be pulled from me because I had some grp trailing me the whole time to steal it.

• 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:56 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Watemper said:

@Raihuf22

There aren't any advantages in it at all its simple bad game design, you can keep saying their is but that doesn't actually make it so, and if you can't see how bad it is than their isn't anything anyone can say to change your mind. To me I would rather have a chance of getting an item with 15 hours of camping than be guaranteed 15 hours of dungeon crawling to get to the mob, that would likely be pulled from me because I had some grp trailing me the whole time to steal it.

You must of not read the conversation then...you are way off the beaten path right now...soo yeah can't help you there.

• 521 posts
    July 12, 2019 9:59 AM PDT

Watemper said:

HemlockReaper said:

Watemper said:

HemlockReaper said:

No, I’m not. I said I don't play games for the challenge, there are so many more layers to games now that just challenge. There’s Story, exploration, socializing, Crafting ect..

I think you are looking at the wrong game then?

• 1584 posts
    July 12, 2019 10:00 AM PDT

Watemper said:

Riahuf22 said:

Watemper said:

@Raihuf22

You must of not read the conversation then...you are way off the beaten path right now...soo yeah can't help you there.

Clearly you forgot it's an open world and what I just wrote down can actually happen, and if it can it will eventually, so maybe your 15 hour dungeon crawl belongs to a instanced ran game and not a open world one.

• 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 10:01 AM PDT

@Hemlock Taking challenge out triviliazied 3/4 of those things you like...look at current MMOs for reference.

This post was edited by Watemper at July 12, 2019 10:04 AM PDT
    • 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 10:02 AM PDT

Double Quote

This post was edited by Watemper at July 12, 2019 10:02 AM PDT
    • 696 posts
    July 12, 2019 10:03 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Watemper said:

Riahuf22 said:

Watemper said:

@Raihuf22

Clearly you forgot it's an open world and what I just wrote down can actually happen, and if it can it will eventually, so maybe your 15 hour dungeon crawl belongs to a instanced ran game and not a open world one.

We are talking about a sudo 15 hour camp of a named mob and a 15 hour long encounter....but yeah keep on bringing up the 15 hour dungeon.

This post was edited by Watemper at July 12, 2019 10:04 AM PDT