Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Shared bank storage?

• 1921 posts
    July 10, 2019 7:50 AM PDT

Kittik said: Inventory management might seem annoying, but it plays a huge strategic part of a game when it's part of the game.  Having 1000's of bank slots across all your accounts makes EVERYTHING in the game worthless because you can have so much of it.  A single 20 stack of skelly bones is worthless if you can have 300 stacks.  But limit that to 100 slots and then all of a sudden, that single 20 stack becomes much more valuable because it's taking up space you might need for something else, so the game of "how much does this mean to me" comes into play.

All that does is make inventory management, or shared bank storage, a non-issue for people with lots of $$$USD$$$ to spend.
    As in, if you don't make it shared, or access share-able, then the RL rich folks simply buy more accounts.
    Which, as has been mentioned, may be a design goal.  But a more level playing field would be to allow it on the same account, to permit the transfer of items between characters played by the same player.
    In either case, it's a solved problem for people that care and have the money.  Anyone who is going to need 1000 bank slots will buy as many accounts as they need.
    Those that either don't care or don't have the money?  They get to suffer and trust humans to hold their stuff, right?  That promotes community, right?  Forcing paying customers into risky behavior, it's the best way to distinguish your niche title and gather enough subscribers to pay back your enormous debt and try to make a profit, eventually. :)
    There is a point at which the lack of QoL will limit the target demographic just enough to make sure the game fails.  Just like PFO.

• 219 posts
    July 10, 2019 8:11 AM PDT

Quest items being flagged per character is not my cup of tea. I always liked being able to trade various quest items for money. So a brave adventurer could go out and kill various quest mobs and loot their items to sell. If you just flag quest items then its 1 and done for any quest mob / trigger / ect. Giving players a reason to visit old content is critical IMO.

I'm all for No Shared Bank. Works great on P99..... Enough said. Great interactions between my friends and I....... Also hearing the couple of guys in EC tunnel trading their trading services for coin is "endearing" (I've used these guys/gals before and have never had a problem)

I guess my fear in the end would have to be derived from EQ2.... So many QoL features went into place that the cities and world became barren of players. In East Freeport at the docks. Early game everyone would hang around the docks near the brokers/bankers. As they opened up guild bankers and brokers for guild halls there was no reason to hang out in the cities anymore. And each character could have like 800 slots of inventory space between character, bank and shared.

The beginning of EQ2 was great but I feel like EQ2 catered to much to the few vocal players complaing the most. This is why a lot of old school vets and new players alike are attracted to games like Pantheon / P99, Classic WoW and other emulated classic experiences. We need to harken back to the roots of the genre and give players the opportunity to relive the non-catered experience. You either sink or swim by your own merits

This post was edited by Pyde at July 10, 2019 8:12 AM PDT
    • 947 posts
    July 10, 2019 8:35 AM PDT

I'd prefer 3 tiers - A "vault" for an individual character.  I emphasize "vault" because it would only allow access to the equipment locally; not shared between other "vaults" (essentially a safe deposit box(es).  - A "vault" that you can share access with any other character(s) for a fee (as you basically dupliate safe deposit box keys).  - A "bank" for universal city access (this would essentially be solely for cash and could also be used to liquidate monetary items like gems/jewelry).  All of these storage systems could charge monetary fees, like an actual vault or bank.

• 1479 posts
    July 10, 2019 8:57 AM PDT

vjek said:

Kittik said: Inventory management might seem annoying, but it plays a huge strategic part of a game when it's part of the game.  Having 1000's of bank slots across all your accounts makes EVERYTHING in the game worthless because you can have so much of it.  A single 20 stack of skelly bones is worthless if you can have 300 stacks.  But limit that to 100 slots and then all of a sudden, that single 20 stack becomes much more valuable because it's taking up space you might need for something else, so the game of "how much does this mean to me" comes into play.

All that does is make inventory management, or shared bank storage, a non-issue for people with lots of $$$USD$$$ to spend.
    As in, if you don't make it shared, or access share-able, then the RL rich folks simply buy more accounts.
    Which, as has been mentioned, may be a design goal.  But a more level playing field would be to allow it on the same account, to permit the transfer of items between characters played by the same player.
    In either case, it's a solved problem for people that care and have the money.  Anyone who is going to need 1000 bank slots will buy as many accounts as they need.
    Those that either don't care or don't have the money?  They get to suffer and trust humans to hold their stuff, right?  That promotes community, right?  Forcing paying customers into risky behavior, it's the best way to distinguish your niche title and gather enough subscribers to pay back your enormous debt and try to make a profit, eventually. :)
    There is a point at which the lack of QoL will limit the target demographic just enough to make sure the game fails.  Just like PFO.

Honestly if you're ready to pay a second accound for inventory management or easier trade between your toons, then that's the last of your problem to have a limited storage or whatever. Beeing a packrat never was an advantage and caring little about the value of money up to easing your playtime by a negligible amount by spending irl cash is ridiculous.

Don't put your own beliefs as general thoughts. People owning two accounts or more are, and have allways been marginal. Because even if 15 bucks can be insignifiant to some, for it to be worthwhile of it's own value needs it to be more than "I can log my second account to self trade". Honestly I don't care for 15 bucks but I wouldn't even spend it for such a ridiculous reason.

• 238 posts
    July 11, 2019 8:47 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Shared bank storage with your account or separate bank storage for separate characters? Please explain your answer. #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

I personally prefer separate bank storage for all my characters. Shared bank storage quickly fills up depending on how many toons you are playing and it can become a massive pain keeping everything sorted between players when it is all in one bank. The only time I have ever found a need/want for shared banking is when I am dealing with professions and crafting materials. In WoW it became common for players to create alt guilds so they use the guild banking system as a storage place for their various crafting materials. ESO took this need/want into account and implemented an account wide crafting bag that was accessible to every character on that account.  

I think that a shared banking space makes sense when it comes to guilds. However when it comes to a shared bank between characters on an account the only time I think this makes sense is when talking about the progeny system. I think that it makes sense that when character A is retired (deleted) through the progeny system it would leave an inheritance (Money/Items) to character B by means of the bank. Newly formed character B would then have to go through the bank and then decide what they wanted to keep, vs what they had to let go of to make room. 

Now with all that being said, I would like to see some way to send items/money to other alts. I would not mind seeing a different bank tab that fits in with this function or seeing the implication of a mailbox/mailing system.  

• 724 posts
    July 12, 2019 3:42 AM PDT

Darch said:

I'd prefer 3 tiers - A "vault" for an individual character.  I emphasize "vault" because it would only allow access to the equipment locally; not shared between other "vaults" (essentially a safe deposit box(es).  - A "vault" that you can share access with any other character(s) for a fee (as you basically dupliate safe deposit box keys).  - A "bank" for universal city access (this would essentially be solely for cash and could also be used to liquidate monetary items like gems/jewelry).  All of these storage systems could charge monetary fees, like an actual vault or bank.

Good thought about cash being different from actual items. It makes sense that you can withdraw money at any bank (sufficient faction provided).

About fees: I would argue against on-going fees. Not so great if you leave the game for a longer time - what happens if money runs out? Are your items destroyed?

I could live with "per-access" fees however. Whenever you open your vault, a small fee could be charged, maybe depending on the number of stored items (nothing if the vault is empty).

• July 18, 2019 11:55 AM PDT
    Back to the core question: shared is best. Because there Isn't much (game theory / strategic) reason to have otherwise, and I assume it's the only practical way to trade items with alts. There a probably lots of good options for column a column b, but if it's either or, shared is better.
    • 124 posts
    July 18, 2019 12:25 PM PDT

Personally, I'd prefer individual bank vaults for each char, with just a couple of slots that are shared. This allows for easy transfer between characters without completely ruining the immersion. Transferring items between characters was such a pain in the rear end in Dark Age of Camelot, so I'm not completely against shared space, I just want it to be there for easy transfer between characters, not a total combined vault that any toon can access.

Also, being able to mail items to friends / guild mates is a great feature, especially when they're offline and you're unable to wait for them to log on.