Forums » General Guild Discussion

When did a guild leader really impress you?

• 1334 posts
    June 16, 2019 9:47 PM PDT

I was reminded today that true leadership isn't just about plans or goals or methods. It's about understanding people. Recognizing strengths. Empathy, compassion, caring, and selflessness. Real leaders don't just get results. They forge bonds and make people stronger.

I was wondering if anyone would like to share their stories of when a guild leader (or officer, or raid leader) really impressed you and made a difference for you and for your guild.  So many current games have de-emphasized guilds that I think there is a lot we can all learn from the stories about the really good ones.  So, I hope all of you will share a story if you have one - and not one about yourself as the leader :)

------------------------------------------------------------

Here's mine:

In EVE Online, when I was still pretty new to the game, I joined up with a small generalist corporation in high-security space.  The leader, a guy named Fever, had been playing a bit longer than I had, and had a busy job in the real world that kept him traveling fairly often.  I'd see him every now and again but sometimes it would be weeks where I wouldn't see him online because he was off on a business trip.  Since we were just a generalist corp doing stuff in hi-sec, it wasn't a big deal.  We were all kind of doing our own thing anyway.

At that time in EVE, hi-sec war declarations were rampant as a form of essentially legitimized griefing.  Any other corp could pay a fee and declare war on your corp for the sole purpose of being able to shoot at you without a penalty whenever they wanted.  So, bored PvPers (or people who couldn't cut it in lowsec or nullsec areas) would join wardec corps, and then find corps with new players and pay the fee to declare war so they could go hunting in high sec.  The corps that they chose to attack were generally never able to put up a real fight, and so the wars were always very one-sided, and usually ended when the newbie corp either disbanded or paid a ransom.

We got wardecced.  Me and the other five or six new folks that had started recently had no idea what to do.  Then suddenly, even though he was on a business trip, Fever was there.  He sent us detailed communications explaining how to still be able to play and not get killed.  He used his personal connections and funds to hire a mercenary corp to wardec the gankers and take pressure off of us, and to put them on the defensive.  And when a few of us lost ships because we were new and had no idea how to get away from a ganker, much less fight back, he helped us replace the ships and get back up and running.  And he did all of this logged in at night from hotel rooms in three different cities over the course of the war.

He didn't have to do that at all.  I mean, we were just the newbies in his corp, and he was on a business trip in real life.  When it was all over, and we told him thank you for all the work he did, he simply said this:  "I've seen so many people start playing EVE and then end up quitting because of assholes like that.  You all are in my corp.  I'm not going to let that happen to you if I can help it."

I eventually split off and formed my own corp, which joined Fever's corp in an alliance - and our alliance went on to own two wormhole systems and do some amazing things in the years to come.  But none of it would have happened if Fever hadn't gone out of his way to protect a bunch of newbies in his corp that he barely knew.

That's my story about when a guild leader was really awesome.  I hope everyone else will share their own stories, because I truly think we can all learn from them :)

• 1253 posts
    June 17, 2019 12:23 PM PDT
    That s a nice story. I'm going to respond slightly differently and more generally. Imo it is easier to be a guild leader than a raid leader (having done both plenty of times over the last 20ish years), but often times they are one and the same.

Being a good guild leader is more about understanding that you can't do everything yourself and being able to select, and rely on, other good people to help carry the load.
    Being a good raid leader in a cutting edge guild is far more difficult.

The one example I always give that is easy to recognize a good raid leader by is when things are going badly in a raid. A good raid leader doesn't yell or raise their voice. It is the exact opposite. They get quieter, more succinct and more efficient in their directions.
    During that short period of time that will determine success or failure they show a heightened level of focus. The very few good raid leaders I have seen have an ability to help the guild pull out a victory when defeat seems inevitable because of their efficient direction.
    It is always a sure sign that someone is in over their head and not as efficient as they could be when they start to raise their voice when things start going south.

• 454 posts
    June 17, 2019 4:18 PM PDT

I'm honestly just impressed that the guy that runs our guild has managed to keep his sanity putting up with us all these years.

• 467 posts
    June 17, 2019 8:51 PM PDT

Our tribe leader in Ark SE was going to give our resources and dinosaurs to a larger tribe in exchange for letting him join them.

The leader of the larger tribe recognized that our tribe leader was being an a-hole. So the larger tribe leader agreed to the deal and accepted the resources... but when our tribe leader left us, the leader of the larger tribe just gave our resources back to us and never invited our old leader.  Cool move.  

It changed the way all tribes operated for months. It was an official server for those who've been trapped played.

This post was edited by Tigersin at June 17, 2019 8:52 PM PDT
    • 1065 posts
    June 21, 2019 6:48 AM PDT

" I was wondering if anyone would like to share their stories of when a guild leader (or officer, or raid leader) really impressed you and made a difference for you and for your guild.  "

Sure.  The best guild leaders I've ever had are the ones that login daily to consume group content with their guild members.  Or, they delegated that task and ensured at least one officer was online during prime time or on weekends to organize the guild into XP/Quest groups.  And they were always the last one to be part of a group, especially if that meant the group was full, and they had to sit out.  They also grouped with anyone, not just officers.  They expected officers to be positive examples, not followers.
    Ultimately?  Actual leadership, sacrifice, and humility.   That's what made the best guild leaders, for me and mine, in the past 20+ years.

I've been on raids with other guilds, as a guest, when the guild or raid leader is absolutely screaming into Discord, Mumble, Ventrilo or TS.  It's extremely negative and demoralizing.  Not impressed with leaders like that, and I've seen many people just de-guild without warning from guilds led by people like that.  It doesn't create loyalty, it guarantees disloyalty, from what I've seen.

Daily constructive/positive presence is the thing that impresses me the most.  Also, scheduling optionaly weekly events and being there to support them.

• 85 posts
    June 24, 2019 5:53 PM PDT

My guild leader is a guy named Razorwire, and I'm impressed with him in a couple of ways - he's quite the accomplished fellow irl, and is a really good friend - but my respect for him as a guild leader came after I tried to do the job myself. In EQ2 he was fairly ambivalent as to who would lead this chapter of the guild (since I and another re-founded the guild and he came later, being the original leader from our Vanguard days) so we co-led. We were a small, but tight knit crew, and on that end we were successful, but I found out the hard way the burdens of leadership. 

So to that extent I suppose I'm impressed with all guild leaders (*applause*), but when needed, the ease with which he took up the mantle of command again made me feel good about the direction the guild had chosen. I think his leadership style is what it is because of his practiced parenting skills - one thing he said to me once amounted to his inviting his kids to rebel and take the role of head of house from him, but that that took the fun out of rebelling, so the household was populated by free thinking leaders in the making. If I'm not being too ostentatious or grand in my description.

My point, I think, is that a good leader not only leads well, but makes others feel like they can lead well, too, and supports them when they try even if they need some practice.

• 1567 posts
    July 8, 2019 3:06 PM PDT

Nephele said:

I was wondering if anyone would like to share their stories of when a guild leader (or officer, or raid leader) really impressed you and made a difference for you and for your guild.

I need to re-emphasize what vjek posted above as those points have been so critical for me as a guild member and guild officer.

Lead, do not follow.  Be the example to emulate. Be present but when you cannot, delegate someone to be there in your place. Treat everyone equally, with dignity and respect.  Be firm yet fair.  Be willing to say no. Think long term, plan for it and communicate that plan to everyone.

Every guild or corporation I've been in has had a leader with many of these qualities and my current guild, Rising Shadow, is no exception. 

• 756 posts
    July 30, 2019 9:06 PM PDT

A good raid leader group can really make for some fun times. Guild Leaders manage guilds and unless they are able to cross over id recommend the Leaders stay away from it and let Officers and Raid Leaders run it. I have had a way more enriched time by having a Non Bias group of Officers then just 1 person running the whole show.

A true raiding guild is ran by its Officers. Rightfully so the demands are too great. After years of being together, the player base basically self runs the guild with respect to others.

Where i dont find the respect is when some key members are beefed up while the rest are told to shut up and sit down. Yet you out perform them at every raid. Those guilds you tend to walk away from.