Forums » Fan Creations

Can Unity handle an MMORPG like Pantheon?

• 2886 posts
    June 12, 2019 12:30 PM PDT

Hey again, I've seen some questions and concerns regarding VR using the Unity engine to develop Pantheon. There hasn't really been a major MMORPG successfully developed with Unity yet. So I think it's fair to wonder why they went with it, and whether or not it'll be up to the task. So as usual, I gathered up all the info I could about and put it all in one place for ya. Hope this helps! https://youtu.be/EAW0kpAixZU

• 372 posts
    June 12, 2019 2:07 PM PDT

I respect and applaud the effort and attention to detail you put into this and other videos. This was quite good.

I am in part disapointed because it was my hope to learn about the limitations of Unity. Now, please don't mistake my words as implying that you could have done a better job. You covered good information and it was presented well. 

What I was hoping to hear about is the expected number of concurrent players in a zone (and not a mix of players and npcs). You made no promise to present this information and it is highly unlikey you could form an accurate guess at this stage of the game so... I am only mentioning this because I would like to hear you talk on it in the future. Also, I am aware you touched on it by the raid size ref. 

Anyway, thanks for another good video.

• 2886 posts
    June 12, 2019 8:01 PM PDT

I hear ya, thanks for the feedback. But yes, I don't really have any way to even estimate what that would be at this point. I may try to ask a dev about this if I can at some point in the future as they're really the only ones that would have a worthwhile answer to that. And then at that point, I'd be more comfortable discussing it in more detail.

• 125 posts
    June 14, 2019 9:06 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Hey again, I've seen some questions and concerns regarding VR using the Unity engine to develop Pantheon. There hasn't really been a major MMORPG successfully developed with Unity yet. So I think it's fair to wonder why they went with it, and whether or not it'll be up to the task. So as usual, I gathered up all the info I could about and put it all in one place for ya. Hope this helps! https://youtu.be/EAW0kpAixZU

Watched a few of your vids baz and I really appreciate your work and want to see you succeed.

Unity is rad, they've Really flipped the development elitism on its head and I’m pretty sure they’ve done something that’s historic with letting “joe schmo” learn c and make stick figure platformers. 

I personally love those ‘cruddy’ games and bolster their ranks. 

I also have read video and forum subject and titles with “can unity handle...?”

However unity is just a hammer my dude, they’re still programming in code. It’s up to them if their code can handle their mmorpg.

When you compile your image in a image editing and export it it’s a .jpg or for games an .exe . If you saved your image 100000000 x 100000000 and it takes people ten minutes to open it that was your fault- not the tool you used.

• 372 posts
    June 18, 2019 6:56 AM PDT

Well...  I got what I wanted.  Thanks Baz (and Brad if you're reading).    

HEY ERR'ONE GO LOOK AT THE REPLY FROM BRAD  

• 2886 posts
    June 18, 2019 6:19 PM PDT

Grime said:

Bazgrim said:

Watched a few of your vids baz and I really appreciate your work and want to see you succeed.

Unity is rad, they've Really flipped the development elitism on its head and I’m pretty sure they’ve done something that’s historic with letting “joe schmo” learn c and make stick figure platformers. 

I personally love those ‘cruddy’ games and bolster their ranks. 

I also have read video and forum subject and titles with “can unity handle...?”

However unity is just a hammer my dude, they’re still programming in code. It’s up to them if their code can handle their mmorpg.

When you compile your image in a image editing and export it it’s a .jpg or for games an .exe . If you saved your image 100000000 x 100000000 and it takes people ten minutes to open it that was your fault- not the tool you used.

Thanks, Grime. That is a good way of putting it. Unfortunately there are definitely a lot of people that don't really understand what Unity actually is. So hopefully these things will help clarify some of the misconceptions.

• 2886 posts
    June 18, 2019 6:26 PM PDT

Tigersin said:

Well...  I got what I wanted.  Thanks Baz (and Brad if you're reading).    

HEY ERR'ONE GO LOOK AT THE REPLY FROM BRAD  

Haha yeah it was really awesome of him to chime in. It really is the cherry on top of the video :) So yes, everyone should go check it out! I pinned it to the top of the comments section on the video.

• 294 posts
    June 20, 2019 12:11 PM PDT

I think the cost effectiveness of the Unity engine has allowed the VR team to produce the game that they truly wanted to produce.

I'm sure that they all would find things easier if they were rolling in money, but easier doesn't always make better. That tends to be the norm with almost everything worth doing.

I'm certain that the VR team (and the years of combined experience they all have) will develope a great gaming experience for the player base to enjoy and I have no doubt they will overcome any obstacles they uncover along the path to doing so.

Enjoy the ride Brad and VR. I know you are. I'm certain that shortly we will enjoy it with you too.

Good topic Baz. 

I still need to bring you a homebrewed beer sometime.

Klump

• 2886 posts
    June 26, 2019 5:26 PM PDT

Klumpedge said:

Good topic Baz. 

I still need to bring you a homebrewed beer sometime.

Klump

Haha thanks Klump! Don't worry - I won't let you forget ;)

• 801 posts
    June 29, 2019 3:20 PM PDT

Here is a snip of what i was told from another Dev producer, lead dev/publisher. Unity can and will handle a MMO of large scale, however it would require a ton of employee's and a lot of tweaking of the engine/s.

Building your own gaming platform engine is getting very costly to do. This is why we do not see hundreds of them on the open market, and when we do? its a bunch of pre purchased assets. Which some later change out with their own.

Just saying unity has the ability to do lots.

I would love to see Brad comment on Unity replacing the existing EQ game, just the way it stood. How much work? time? and money would be involved just off the top of his head.

• 2886 posts
    July 1, 2019 4:53 PM PDT

Crazzie said:

Here is a snip of what i was told from another Dev producer, lead dev/publisher. Unity can and will handle a MMO of large scale, however it would require a ton of employee's and a lot of tweaking of the engine/s.

Building your own gaming platform engine is getting very costly to do. This is why we do not see hundreds of them on the open market, and when we do? its a bunch of pre purchased assets. Which some later change out with their own.

Good insight Crazzie. Thanks for that. Definitely seems to be the consensus among professionals is it's mostly up to the devs behind the game and not the engine itself. And that's reassuring. What we've seen so far is promising and the devs seem to have a lot of experience. So just gotta hope they keep that up!

This post was edited by Bazgrim at July 1, 2019 4:54 PM PDT
    • 363 posts
    July 1, 2019 6:54 PM PDT

I mentioned this before on Discord, but thought I'd repeat it here. I've built my own game in Unity. It was a mobile game, and most dev's and players think its primarily an engine for that environment, but it isn't. It's a tremendously powerful engine, as powerful as Unreal. The problem is, like myself most small dev's use it for small projects, but Blizzard used it for Hearthstone, Studio MDHR used it on Cuphead and many other games. Like you mentioned Bazgrim, its all comes down to who is using it. Most studios learn Unreal and only want to believe its the best because every other studio uses its. It is a great engine don't get me wrong, but so is Crytek and hundreds of other engines now a days. I'm excited to see VR use Unity on such a large scale project. So far what they have accolimished is amazing.

• 2886 posts
    August 8, 2019 4:17 PM PDT

Bronsun said:

I mentioned this before on Discord, but thought I'd repeat it here. I've built my own game in Unity. It was a mobile game, and most dev's and players think its primarily an engine for that environment, but it isn't. It's a tremendously powerful engine, as powerful as Unreal. The problem is, like myself most small dev's use it for small projects, but Blizzard used it for Hearthstone, Studio MDHR used it on Cuphead and many other games. Like you mentioned Bazgrim, its all comes down to who is using it. Most studios learn Unreal and only want to believe its the best because every other studio uses its. It is a great engine don't get me wrong, but so is Crytek and hundreds of other engines now a days. I'm excited to see VR use Unity on such a large scale project. So far what they have accolimished is amazing.

Thanks Bronsun, it's good to hear and be confirmed by someone outside of VR that has used it themselves hands-on.