Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafters Absorb ingame gear

• 10 posts
    June 3, 2019 1:09 PM PDT

Would be  cool if you a crafter would need a world item to craft a item example to craft this cool item 4 intelect 5 constitution id need 9 pieces of seprate gear that had 1 or both of those stats it would destroy them with the needed items to craft it to clean world of old gear while being able to make gear that is still pritty useful what do you guys think

• 1785 posts
    June 3, 2019 3:39 PM PDT

So, in concept, I think we're getting something along those lines with salvaging.  Crafters *will* incorporate materials salvaged from drops into what they do.

What I do not think would work would be a whole-hog reverse-engineering system like the way SWG handled skill attachments for armor and clothing.  Sure, something like that sucks up a bunch of loot, but it also requires the game to be very loot heavy in the first place in order to enable crafters to do anything with it.  That much loot entering the game on a constant basis puts a lot of strain on storage space and the game economy in general.  It also leads to severe price differences between items with higher or more rare stat mods, and items with lower or more common stat mods.

From my perspective, it's cleaner to insure that any item entering the game, whether it's a drop from a normal mob, or a boss, or a quest reward, or something crafted, feels meaningful and useful.  If adventurers are coming back with 90% of the stuff in their bags fit only to be broken down by crafters, then even though that might work economically, it's not a great experience for them.

• 10 posts
    June 3, 2019 4:23 PM PDT

thats cool cant wait to see how it all works out together im a grinder so the  bag filled with spoils is my thang  after a hard day at the dungeon or even outside grinding while waiting for a party to form near by is my enjoyments im that guy after a war with a wagon looting the after math hehe ..hugs

• 372 posts
    June 3, 2019 7:19 PM PDT

strongertogether said:

thats cool cant wait to see how it all works out together im a grinder so the  bag filled with spoils is my thang  after a hard day at the dungeon or even outside grinding while waiting for a party to form near by is my enjoyments im that guy after a war with a wagon looting the after math hehe ..hugs

Haha.  Same.  There is something satisfying about filling a bag with spoils. Unfortunately my 'thang' is to run out of room and leave loot behind when I head back to town.

• 159 posts
    June 4, 2019 6:14 PM PDT

I like the sound of this. I hope this can be used as a fix so no craft becomes useless. I think something along these lines will help ensure the integrity of all crafts. Any craft skills that produce items that are not consumable can easily create a can of worms for the gaming economy as they never go away. Something along these lines will make you want to craft that new sword by giving up your old sword in the crafting process.

VR take note. Please do not create like 10 different crafting professions will only one or two that are actually useful. ( no more having a kazillion cooks, because food/drink is the only viable craft ) :)

• 124 posts
    June 5, 2019 1:46 AM PDT

i like the concept, but i too fear the danger that Nephele paints.

Since every feedback needs pro's and con's, i don't think the idea is completely useless. I can see merit in this system. You could breakdown the junk gear to make consumables, such as reagents (like EQ1 chanter / mage pets would consume) or other ingredients required in higher crafts. Also since we're probably getting some sort of salvaging skill, you need a way to raise that too, i would hate having to break down medium to high stat gear simply to raise my level in it, especially if there is no clear gain from the regained materials.

When making regeants from the 'junk' gear, it will benefit both the community and the crafter. In the long term however i can see it becomming more of a chore as people start to max the skill out, somewhat forcing the reagent users to level a skill that they don't realy want to do but need to do because the community is lacking. So in that case the same reagent should also be purchasable for a higher price than the crafters would sell them for (dynamic markets between NPC and PC's? that'd be cool!?)

• 238 posts
    June 5, 2019 4:11 AM PDT

strongertogether said:

Would be  cool if you a crafter would need a world item to craft a item example to craft this cool item 4 intelect 5 constitution id need 9 pieces of seprate gear that had 1 or both of those stats it would destroy them with the needed items to craft it to clean world of old gear while being able to make gear that is still pritty useful what do you guys think

So I read this one of two ways. The first way is that crafters would need to go out and farm for specific items to advance their skill. For example, in order to craft say a "flaming broad sword" players would have to go out and farm for a broad sword to use in the recipe. I think that this is a cool concept in theory, but when you start talking about higher level recipes and recipes that require multiple pieces of gear to craft it would become more of a headache to progress the crafting skill.

The second way I read this was as a salvaging system. I think the idea of a salvaging system has a lot more potential and use. For example, say you salvaged that broad sword and in return, you got x amount of iron and a small chance to get a malachite fragment. Then say that there are other recipes that require malachite fragments for various professions (such as blacksmithing, armorsmithing, or jewlcrafting), but summoners also require malachite fragments to summon their pets. In this example that broad sword gets a lot more use, more trade opportunities are opened up to players, and it becomes somewhat easier to level professions.

Now on the concept of stats and absorbing gear, I would like to see an enchanting profession much like WoW's where players have to disenchant magical gear for certain profession reagents. This would be a different process from the salvaging system and would yield different crafting regents (maybe potentially some of the same). For example, you could disenchant a magical broad sword that has +1 constitution and receive dust (essence, powder, or whatever is required for the enchanting profession) instead of the iron ingot, but also have a chance to get the malachite as well.  With an enchanting system in place as well as a salvaging system you do a lot to remove that excess in-game gear which prevents the market from being overflooded and allows that gear to maintain more of its value.  

I think that it might be cool to also see a vendor that can switch stats on armor as well, but doing this makes the item not trade. For example, say I am playing a healer and a ring drops. This ring is usable by all classes and all races, but it has intellect on it instead of wisdom.  Lets then say that no one in the party needed this ring and I got it by a greed roll or picked it up because it was going to be left behind. Lets then say that I need a ring because both of my ring slots are empty. It would be cool to see an in-game vendor be able to switch these stats, but in the process, it binds the ring to me and makes it a no-trade item. Not only would this vendor impact how useful some armor is, he/she would also absorb gear off the market by making it a no-trade item. At this point this item could be salvaged, disenchanted, or sold to a regular vendor when it was no longer needed. 

• 1281 posts
    June 29, 2019 11:03 AM PDT

Being able to salvage NPC dropped items would definitely help keep mudflation under control. If you consider during a salvage process, some parts may be lost, and again a chance of loss when reassembling, it may create a net loss of items. E.g. 100 npc dropped items are salvaged and turned into 50 new items.

• 10 posts
    July 11, 2019 4:03 PM PDT

its Great how a collective of minds can fill a room with so many great ideas  Hugz  Team work makes the Dream work. Pantheon dont forget to add mini god statues out side the dungeonso to give them mini boss tributes so to increase our luck when grinding basic mobs hehe makes us grind deeper inside dungeon and so we dont just wait out side for spawns so to make us work towards them mini boss kills   HUGZ

This post was edited by strongertogether at July 11, 2019 4:06 PM PDT
    • 1785 posts
    July 11, 2019 5:41 PM PDT

Just a note that Salvaging *is* confirmed as part of the crafting system for Pantheon.  Crafters will be able to salvage dropped items for materials to use while crafting.  We don't know much more than that yet, but it will exist and be a thing :)

• 81 posts
    July 26, 2019 12:40 PM PDT

Honestly i would much rather there be no finished product loot drops other than starting gear in the tutorial or starting area and all mob drops should be just currancy and items to be used in crafting and questing.  You kill a snake,  you may loot snake fangs or a snake skin.  You can sell them to merchants for quick coin, sell them to players for a better profit or use them in crafting yourself.

I always thought it very strange to loot a long sword off a snake.

• 4 posts
    July 26, 2019 5:16 PM PDT

Baldur said:

I think that it might be cool to also see a vendor that can switch stats on armor as well, but doing this makes the item not trade. For example, say I am playing a healer and a ring drops. This ring is usable by all classes and all races, but it has intellect on it instead of wisdom.  Lets then say that no one in the party needed this ring and I got it by a greed roll or picked it up because it was going to be left behind. Lets then say that I need a ring because both of my ring slots are empty. It would be cool to see an in-game vendor be able to switch these stats, but in the process, it binds the ring to me and makes it a no-trade item. Not only would this vendor impact how useful some armor is, he/she would also absorb gear off the market by making it a no-trade item. At this point this item could be salvaged, disenchanted, or sold to a regular vendor when it was no longer needed. 

I like this concept but don't make it a vendor that switches the stats. Make it a skill in one of the crafting trees. Hand players all the value you can.

Salvaging is certainly a thing that should happen. The disenchant feature of WoW was a good system. It did keep item values higher. It does help keeping the market from being flooded. It does lend more value to the tradeskillers' ability.