Forums » Fan Fiction

Where Darkness Dwells from Tales of Gelfzyn

• 53 posts
    June 1, 2019 6:27 PM PDT

The Story Line reading order:

The Decision (September 22, 2017)

The Decision: Part II (September 26, 2017)

A Shared Concern (February 26, 2018)

The Molnea (January 11, 2018)

The Wolf Pup (October 8, 2017)

If At First (July 11, 2018)

If At First – Part 2 (January 5, 2019)

Where Darkness Dwells (June 1, 2019)

(other sections in work)

The Dark Lord's Gift (February 15, 2018)

(other sections in work)

The cold. Of all the things this stone hallway possessed, the coldness was always the first thing to notice.Grnauk apprehensively approached the massive double doors at the end of the bleak passage. His message is not all positive and he knows that the master will not be happy with it. Gathering what little courage he possesses, he knocks on the doors with his knobby fist.

"Enter", a commanding voice intones; shattering the silence of the hallway. Grnauk struggles to open one of the massive iron doors just enough to slip into the area behind it.

Chill winds raise small puffs of dust from the floor as they swirl around a figure in a rune covered black robe.

Nil'hylyth, deep in contemplation, unaffected by the winds, stands at a bone covered dais near the center of the dark throne room. "Well, what is it?" he demands more than asks.

Grnauk shutters at having gained his master’s attention. "I bring reports of activities in the east ,master. You asked for reports of any unusual happening and so I am hear to report on some unusual events as you have asked for."

"Yes, yes. Well go on. Come forward and tell of these 'events'." saying as his eyes focus on the small humanoid standing near the doors.

Grnauk shuffles forward to within ten strides of the dark figure. He clears his throat and begins his report.

"First activity is that the Molena has been slain by a band of Halflings." he states as clearly as he can.

"Hmm." Nil'hylyth says. "Well that was going to happen sooner or later. Go on." Turning back to the tome he was studying.

At this, Grnauk, glad to no longer be the focus of attention, silently releases a sigh of relief and continues. "The other event is that a courier reported that the Obelisk near Wild's End has gone dark."

"What!" Nil'hylyth says with a raised voice as he turns back to look at Grnauk. "Repeat that." he demands.

Grnauk trembles as he repeats his report. "A courier reported that the Obelisk near Wild's End has gone dark." and steps back a bit.

Nil'hylyth now turns to give his full attention to the messenger. "What other information is there? How do they know it's dark?"

"A patrol noticed that the area no longer glowed at night and went to see why. They found all of the guards destroyed and that the sentinel was no longer guarding the obelisk. It's heart stone was also missing." he stated and paused.

"Go on." Nil'hylyth prompted.

"There was also evidence of a Halfling camp nearby, maybe six to eight members." Grnauk added.

"Hmm" Nil'hylyth muttered. "So some Halfling adventurers are going places they shouldn't be. A minor problem that is easily dealt with."

"But the prophecy." Grnauk whispers, hoping that he is not heard.

"I know about the prophecy you idiot. Don't you think I plan for these things." he snapped and then turned away in thought.

At this, Grnauk took another step back.

After a moment, Nil'hylyth turned back to Grnauk and says "Send for Urlesal of the Tuskolon Orcs near Avenders Pass, I wish to speak with her."

"But, what is if they decide to eat me instead sire?" Grnauk whines.

"Hmm, yes, they might get indigestion or something. Take 3rd legion with you and tell the commander that they are only to attack things that attack you."

At this Grnauk brightens up a bit. "Thank you master, thank you." responding as he scampers from the room.

At the sounds of the great doors opening, Nil'hylyth turns from tome he is reading. "Ah, Urlesal, honored of the Kaa'ruk." he says with an evil smile. "How nice of you to come."

"Save your honeyed words for others necromancer." Urlesal sneers. "I've no time for them. Why have you summoned me here?"

"Summoned?" he replies fending disbelief "I merely sent a messenger to simply ask you to see me."

"A messenger?" she retorts "Surrounding my camp with a horde of undead in the middle of the night is not a 'simple ask'." as she takes on a defiance stance.

"Well, I couldn't just let you eat my messenger now could I?" he smiles. "No harm done, really. Won't you have some wine. We have much to discuss." he says setting a goblet on the table he is working at.

Relaxing somewhat, Urlesal walks over and takes the cup. "He was too small to bother cooking and not enough meat to pick apart." she shrugs. "What do you want with me then?"

Leaning back against a table of books, he begins to outline his request. "I have a little project in the works and it seems a band of Halflings have been adventuring where they shouldn't be. It is possible that they may be heading to Thronefast in the next few weeks and rather that raise suspicion, I would like their deaths to seem due to 'natural causes'."

"Like encountering a band of Orcs in the woods." she injects.

"Ah, you see. That's why I like you Urlesal." he smiles. "You have the insight to lead a call for a Bloodsworn Covenant."

"What!" she exclaims, turning to glare at him. "What has this to do with a Covenant?"

"A side benefit really. Assuming that my project works as designed, I'll be aiding my benefactor in ridding Terminus of the Halflings and I shall have the power to begin removing the other infesting races from your lands. That is why you will aid me with this small task." telling her as he sat down in the chair behind the table he had been leaning against.

"First you want me to attack some wandering Halflings and attract the interest of the Thronefast guards and now you want to call a Bloodsworn Covenant?" shes says staring at Nil'hylyth is disbelief. "What kind of game are you playing at?"

"Oh" he replies smiling. "Let's just say it's a 'winner-take-all' kind of a game and I'd like you to be with me on the winning side."

Urlesal thinks about this for a moment and then glowering at him she says, "And how am I to convince the other leaders of the potential benefits of this 'game'?"

The bag hits the table with a dull thud, the gold coins spilling out as it settled on its side. "Consider this a down payment." he replied with a grin.

"I'm listening" she says as she takes a chair nearer to the table.