Forums » The Rogue

No Lockpicking?

    • 67 posts
    June 1, 2019 4:48 AM PDT

    It would be nice to see lockpicking added for rogues in the game.

    • 467 posts
    June 1, 2019 6:55 AM PDT

    What would be locked?

     

    I don't see locked doors in dungeons (for rogues) because their utility afa obstacles is dropping a rope.

    I don't see locked chests in dungeons because, if only a Rogue could open them, every group would have a Rogue, always.

     

    This isn't saying your suggestion is poor! I just thought it over after reading it and I'm not sure what mechanic could exclusively require a Rogue to overcome.

    :)

    • 71 posts
    June 2, 2019 3:04 AM PDT

    I agree with you Bannik... I think lockpicking is one of those things a rogue should be able to do with pick pocket.... 

    I would like to see the rogue fun to play with a bunch of tricks up their sleeves to get in and out of mischief

    • 1635 posts
    June 2, 2019 5:52 AM PDT

    There are prime examples in the streams already where lock picking would be useful.  Halnir's Cave in the streams has had 2 locked doors.  Both require you to get a key (one key from a boss in the dungeon, the other from a perception skill check next to a fallen pillar).  If a rogue had lock picking, then the group could possibly just go through the doors without having to first acquire a key, and groups that didn't have a rogue would just have to acquire the key.

    Of course, you'd likely have some doors that couldn't be picked, to keep some content from being trivialized.  But lock picking would still be useful.

    • 467 posts
    June 2, 2019 5:31 PM PDT

    kelenin said:

    There are prime examples in the streams already where lock picking would be useful.  Halnir's Cave in the streams has had 2 locked doors.  Both require you to get a key (one key from a boss in the dungeon, the other from a perception skill check next to a fallen pillar).  If a rogue had lock picking, then the group could possibly just go through the doors without having to first acquire a key, and groups that didn't have a rogue would just have to acquire the key.

    Of course, you'd likely have some doors that couldn't be picked, to keep some content from being trivialized.  But lock picking would still be useful.

    You just said this:

    A prime example of how a utility skill (lockpicking) would be useful is groups with rogues get to bypass a boss in a dungeon.

     

    That sounds mad.  Rogues mean you get to move through a dungeon faster than any party without a rogue and too damn bad for them.

    OK. I'll take a rogue, thanks. TWO in case one DCs.

     

    Maybe I am misreading. Let me know :)


    This post was edited by Tigersin at June 2, 2019 5:33 PM PDT
    • 235 posts
    June 3, 2019 8:28 AM PDT

    Tigersin said:

    kelenin said:

    There are prime examples in the streams already where lock picking would be useful.  Halnir's Cave in the streams has had 2 locked doors.  Both require you to get a key (one key from a boss in the dungeon, the other from a perception skill check next to a fallen pillar).  If a rogue had lock picking, then the group could possibly just go through the doors without having to first acquire a key, and groups that didn't have a rogue would just have to acquire the key.

    Of course, you'd likely have some doors that couldn't be picked, to keep some content from being trivialized.  But lock picking would still be useful.

    You just said this:

    A prime example of how a utility skill (lockpicking) would be useful is groups with rogues get to bypass a boss in a dungeon.

     

    That sounds mad.  Rogues mean you get to move through a dungeon faster than any party without a rogue and too damn bad for them.

    OK. I'll take a rogue, thanks. TWO in case one DCs.

     

    Maybe I am misreading. Let me know :)

    This really isn't any different than having a wiz or druid in a group that let's you bypass all the travel to a dungeon by porting. I haven't been able to find it, but it seems like someone in a position of knowing said somewhere that rogues would allow groups to find and use shortcuts in dungeons. Will keep looking.

    • 467 posts
    June 3, 2019 9:41 AM PDT

    Yes, they can drop a length of rope for party members to bypass part.  Just confused why they need two bypasses. 

     

    Actually, I don't know that.   Sure there's no reason not to give them lock pick.  If rogues are better in dungeons the way paladins are better vs undeath, it seems fine.  Everyone has their specialty. 


    This post was edited by Tigersin at June 3, 2019 9:53 AM PDT
    • 235 posts
    June 3, 2019 12:49 PM PDT

    Tigersin said:

    Yes, they can drop a length of rope for party members to bypass part.  Just confused why they need two bypasses. 

     

    Actually, I don't know that.   Sure there's no reason not to give them lock pick.  If rogues are better in dungeons the way paladins are better vs undeath, it seems fine.  Everyone has their specialty. 

    IIRC the length of rope isn't just for dungeons, but the open world, as well. Based on what I've read and heard in streams and such, it seems like there will be secret and locked doors, etc. that a rogue might be able to locate and allow the party to go around a section of a dungeon. Will there possibly be a named mob in that part you jumped over? Dunno, maybe, but that's the trade off and I'm ok with it, personally. Finding interesting features and figuring out how (if at all) you're able to work around it will add something fun to the game.

    • 49 posts
    July 11, 2019 4:13 AM PDT

    I'd prefer to see lockpicking in the game, however it might not need to be a "rogue only" skill.  Rogues just might be better at it than most.  I'd also like to see an alternative: bashing.

    Having a stealthy and subtle way of bypassing a lock on a chest or a door might prove beneficial to a party.  Bashing would have the same effect, but might draw unwanted attention, or might destroy some fragile valuable within a chest, for instance.  

     

    Also, I don't see many in the Pantheon community being upset because a group could benefit - by foresight or happenstance - from teaming up with others who could provide that benefit.

    For Celestial's sake!  We're adventurers!  

     


    This post was edited by Wyvernspur at July 11, 2019 4:13 AM PDT
    • 98 posts
    November 27, 2019 11:52 PM PST

    Bringing this topic back alive, as it's my first time perusing the rogue forums.

     

    @Tigersin 

    Although you do bring up some good points of concern, it seems like you're assuming a lot of extremes / absolutes.

    To a few of the points in this thread:

    > WoW, for example, had locked chests in most high level dungeons, with decent loot tables, yet a rogue was FAR from ever considered a must have for this reason. Unless there is an extremely good (ie unbalenced) loot table in said chests, it will usually never be more than a nice to have kind of thing.

     > Nothing stops VR from putting more ways to open locked chests into the game. I believe on a recent stream Joppa mentioned that there will be some overlap with these sort of things (although he didn't specifically mention lockpicking). Rogues may very well have the most universal or powerful lockpicking tool, but this does not mean other classes or professions may not have a way to opening chests. (ie. crafted 'one use' keys, spells that break locks, or an explosive that destroys the lock with a chance of destroying the loot)

     > Concerning ropes to skip content in dungeons (relevant because it's yet another utility tool for rogues? ? not sure why this came into discussion), I highly doubt they will design each dungeon with a game breaking shortcut. I suspect it will skip a few pulls here or there, but overall not a game changer for "requiring" rogues in groups. There may be an occasional boss skip or significant shortcut, but I think those would be few and far between if any. When I heard about this feature, I thought it was more meant for PvE world traveling and group utility.

     > What's wrong with a rogue picking some doors in dugeons or open world that bypass mobs or save time? I think it's unfair to keep saying this "trivializes" content. If that's our guage for trivializing content, then we could argue how each class trivializing content in their own way.

     

    Anyways, wanted to add my thoughts. Rogue is frontrunner for my main atm.


    This post was edited by Kass at November 28, 2019 12:20 AM PST