Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What if most quests never directly involved combat?

• 40 posts
    June 12, 2019 7:15 AM PDT

I think if the type of quests is diverse enough people will do them anyway.  I'm not sure Pantheon will be the type of game with 7 million quests, but the quests that are there should be diverse to appeal to the widest possible audience.  Thing is, we will all be killing mobs at one point, so making all (or most) quests non-combat seem like just another way to slow progression.

I loved the diplomacy aspect in Vanguard and would routinely spend hours questing doing that.

At the same time, I also loved the Lore Book quests in EQ2.  I loved them because they usually would have me run around in zones I would not necessarily go to otherwise, and stimulated exploration.  Yes, they were kill quests, but would have you run all over the place.  That was fun.

I also liked some of the most involved quests in EQ2 or FFXI where you need a group and have to do a lot of different things to complete the quest.

And of course...there is always the possibility to make most quests completable in different fashion to satify everyone, although I'm not sure that's a viable way to do things.  For example, if John the Scared Soldier doesn't want to go to the front lines without a better sword, you can either go to the cave to the west and kill the Orc leader, loot the sword and bring it to him to complete the quest, or you could find that rare ore and craft John a better sword to complete the quest as well.

Most players like to have a choice of things to do.  If the only quests are kill quests, that limits the choice pool for the player.  At the same time, if the only quests are non combat related, you will aleniate part of your player base as well.

As with everything else, balance is key...and I have no doubt Pantheon will be able to strike a good balance there.