Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Fan-made voice acting?

• 520 posts
    April 22, 2019 2:55 AM PDT

I don't know how you feel about it, but I prefer some "epic" voice acting over text only. Saying that I do agree with devs that the resources and money are better put elsewere. However I'm sure that among the fanbase there will be talented people with "epic" voices, willing to voice act - at least the major NPCs - even for free. I think devs should make dialogues for specific NPCs available for those people and after  cheacking and approving quality - incorporate into the game. What's your take on that?

This post was edited by Hegenox at April 22, 2019 2:56 AM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    April 22, 2019 3:02 AM PDT

Hegenox said:

I don't know how you feel about it, but I prefer some "epic" voice acting over text only. Saying that I do agree with devs that the resources and money are better put elsewere. However I'm sure that among the fanbase there will be talented people with "epic" voices, willing to voice act - at least the major NPCs - even for free. I think devs should make dialogues for specific NPCs available for those people and after  cheacking and approving quality - incorporate into the game. What's your take on that?

I remember they already for legal reasons they can't make use of fan and free workers, and thus it wouldn't work out.

• 520 posts
    April 22, 2019 3:15 AM PDT

They could "pay" them by raising their pledge tier as the contributors - I'm pretty sure that there are some legal loopholes to avoid such nonsense.

• 1479 posts
    April 22, 2019 3:24 AM PDT

Probably not worth the trouble. This is not meant to be a quest heavy driven game where NPC are constantly talking to you and telling you what you have to do next.

• 9115 posts
    April 22, 2019 6:13 AM PDT

We have already stated that this is not an option for us due to legal reasons, unfortunately.

• 3852 posts
    April 22, 2019 7:58 AM PDT

At the risk of repeating something that was suggested years ago - there are high schools (Interlochen Arts Academy in Michigan being one) and colleges focusing on arts and music where I bet for an almost nominal cost you can get some fairly high quality voice acting. The kids would be delighted just to have their names in a game and the teachers might be delighted at the opportunity to give them something like this to do.

As to whether it is worth having voices at all - it clearly adds value but whether it is worth the time and cost obviously depends on how much time and money it would take,

MauvaisOeil - I don't disagree but there will be quite a few NPCs with quite a few things to say that *aren't* related to quests. Trainers, storekeepers, villagers, persons that let us learn some of the lore etc. Maybe just people that say things to enhance the atmosphere and appearance of being in a real world. Anytime something a NPC says appears on our computer screens there is always the option of having a real voice.

• 1033 posts
    April 22, 2019 8:31 AM PDT

As long as I can turn it off and only read the dialog, I don't care other than one single point that if it takes away development time from actual game play, I say no, absolutely not as voice acting while for some brings a "richness" in feel, it is more effort, more cost than it is worth for what it provides, especially with a generation of players who "skip" everything.

• 1428 posts
    April 22, 2019 12:34 PM PDT

Hegenox said:

nothing is free.  everything has a price.

• 1033 posts
    April 22, 2019 12:40 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

Hegenox said:

nothing is free.  everything has a price.

Yep.

The old Republic MMO spent most of its 200 million budget on voice acting. The result? A bunch of fancy voice sessions people "skipped" through only to end up with weak game play. But.. hey, at least they didn't have to "read".