Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Entering the World

• 1785 posts
    April 20, 2019 4:10 PM PDT

Mordecai said: @Neph I don’t think it’s a matter of getting to hack n slash per se, at least for me, it’s more of I prefer not knowing what’s what and going out to adventure. To me it makes it more meaningful not knowing anything. We’ve all for the most part read the lore. Let’s get to it via picking what appetites you lore wise and start your own personal journey

That's fair.  Sorry if my post seemed a little antagonistic.  It wasn't meant to be :)

• 438 posts
    April 20, 2019 4:13 PM PDT
    @Neph shoot not at all dude. Was just giving my perspective is all.
    • 57 posts
    April 21, 2019 10:39 PM PDT

I'm a strong believer in getting dropped into the world. If there's a tutorial, it's optional and repeatable.

"Here's a personal story about why you're a chosen one" is a trend trend I've found distracting rather than immersive.

• 91 posts
    April 21, 2019 11:05 PM PDT
    EQ2 wasnt bad...but not just because of the entry. They used to have rite of passage quests that felt epic...of course it took a bit to get to 10 and then 20 back then. All in all, this is an RPG...Ill write my own backstory
    • 139 posts
    April 22, 2019 3:52 AM PDT

I enjoy EQ2s original entry. I don't know if I'd care for it a second time over. 

The start of the game is important that they've made a fun game for me to play. I haven't experience that in a long time.  All the MMORPGS I've played in the last several years just bored me straight from the start. 

If I must play a tutorial I'll probably stop playing. 

If I see cutscenes or fixed cameras I'll probably stop playing.

If I'm dropped into a linear quest chain I'll probably stop playing. 

If there aren't interesting environments and things around me from the start I'll probably stop playing. 

If there aren't multiple solvable game mechanics around me I'll probably stop playing.

• 696 posts
    April 22, 2019 7:16 AM PDT

I think having an implemented backstory/background for my character is stupid. I would rather not know how we even came to the world. I would like the world to be designed to where I could go through it and figure it out myself, or not figure it out and make my own story. I hate any type of forced linear progression, like quest hubs and forced story narrative. We aren't the champions/heros of the world, unless that is your goal, like most MMOs. We should be thrown into a world and figure out where we belong ourselves.

• 123 posts
    April 22, 2019 9:34 AM PDT

I'm ok if there is no main quest line and no background explaining I'm the chosen one bla bla bla ... I want a world with stories I can fit in, not a world organized around my story.

Drop me in, I'll find what to do.

• 627 posts
    April 22, 2019 10:45 AM PDT
    To me the background story already provided by VR is plenty, Terminus is a world mixed with parts of many world's. The quest to unwind the truth behind the origin of Terminus and why it became a nexus for all these other world's is everyone background story and from here Id like to walk my own path and create my own epic adventures.
    • 239 posts
    April 22, 2019 11:09 AM PDT
    I would like to see a small backstory to whatever race you picked. Maybe a quick video of how the race came to be and where they stand in the world with other races. Then just pop you in the game.
    A lot of people not following the game at this stange may not know the lore as well as others.
    • 93 posts
    April 22, 2019 11:11 AM PDT

dayhjawk said:

I am in favor of some intro with Chris Kane voice over that explains the world, then slowly drifts into you sitting at tavern on the inside, pop here you are.

Hehe, that would be awesome!  Two votes for a Chris Kane voiceover leading to us appearing in a  town tavern in our racial starting city.  Cool idea, Day

• 646 posts
    April 22, 2019 12:04 PM PDT

MyNegation said:3- it is MMO not a single person RPG, every dude/gal that i meet are orphans whose ship crashed on an island and haunted by dreams of a demon?

It's an MMORPG. I personally enjoy both experiencing a story written by the developers and creating my own separate from that.

Would prefer some kind of story-based introduction, even if it's simple.

• 1428 posts
    April 22, 2019 12:43 PM PDT

KCRiley said:

I'm a strong believer in getting dropped into the world. If there's a tutorial, it's optional and repeatable.

"Here's a personal story about why you're a chosen one" is a trend trend I've found distracting rather than immersive.

a tutorial npc  "kcriley, chosen one of the gods, slayer of dragons, saviour of the 5th realm, master of life and death!  i need your help to pick 10 flowers and return it to me.  there are wild forest bees that would one shot me =(  i have 5 silvers and some exp."

try moving around with 'wasd' and move to the designated location.

• 1033 posts
    April 22, 2019 12:47 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

KCRiley said:

a tutorial npc  "kcriley, chosen one of the gods, slayer of dragons, saviour of the 5th realm, master of life and death!  i need your help to pick 10 flowers and return it to me.  there are wild forest bees that would one shot me =(  i have 5 silvers and some exp."

try moving around with 'wasd' and move to the designated location.

/facepalm

• 1033 posts
    April 22, 2019 12:47 PM PDT

This post was edited by Tanix at April 22, 2019 12:47 PM PDT
    • 370 posts
    April 22, 2019 12:50 PM PDT

Doford said:

I enjoy EQ2s original entry. I don't know if I'd care for it a second time over. 

The start of the game is important that they've made a fun game for me to play. I haven't experience that in a long time.  All the MMORPGS I've played in the last several years just bored me straight from the start. 

If I must play a tutorial I'll probably stop playing. 

If I see cutscenes or fixed cameras I'll probably stop playing.

If I'm dropped into a linear quest chain I'll probably stop playing. 

If there aren't interesting environments and things around me from the start I'll probably stop playing. 

If there aren't multiple solvable game mechanics around me I'll probably stop playing.

The first time on noobie island in EQ2 wasn't bad but at launch you couldn't skip it so that was rough. I absolutely loved the betrayer quest in EQ2 though. I thought it was brilliant. Yeah having to kill 500 gnolls to make my Iksar switch sides was super tedious but I never felt so much pride in being one of only a hand full that did it.... I did it twice. All of my friends choose "good" and I refused to play any race but Iksar so I did what I had to do. 

• 416 posts
    April 22, 2019 1:23 PM PDT

I hope at character creation there is a lot of back story and lore about the various races and classes so if players want that info and it's important to them they have it before making a decision. Nothing forced, just available. This ties in with Kilson's post about a tutorial. I hope there is a separate tutorial that players who wish it can choose to learn about how the GUI functions and how they interface with the world. This would not involve player characters but a generic setting and toon to teach the basics. Once the player has created their character they pop into the world with a note, some food, basic weapon, and clothes. Let your own story/journey unfold...

• 370 posts
    April 22, 2019 1:34 PM PDT

Thorndeep said:

I hope at character creation there is a lot of back story and lore about the various races and classes so if players want that info and it's important to them they have it before making a decision. Nothing forced, just available. This ties in with Kilson's post about a tutorial. I hope there is a separate tutorial that players who wish it can choose to learn about how the GUI functions and how they interface with the world. This would not involve player characters but a generic setting and toon to teach the basics. Once the player has created their character they pop into the world with a note, some food, basic weapon, and clothes. Let your own story/journey unfold...

Yeah I think there should be some back story on your race and class in the character creation screen. Nothing in depth but at the same time if you're a halfing... you should know what a halfling is. Finding out that halflings like to eat alot after level 5 or 10 or wahtever, just an example, isn't some great mystery that needs to be uncovered. Basically if your average NPC would be assumed to have this knowledge of the world, and race, then it should be presented to the player. The more concise the better.

As far as entering the world I just want to start in front of my class trainer. No bells and whistles.

• 46 posts
    April 22, 2019 5:04 PM PDT
    Like others in this thread, I’d do not want a backstory handed to my character. I typically spend time writing myself a narrative summary of my Hero’s history. Family lineage. Personality traits. Etc. too many efforts to put forth a story create conflict with my imagination and I don’t want to be boxed in out of the gate.

Having said that, I do see reason to help people learn about the world who haven’t read the website. After all, I want the game to be immersive and not rely on external resources. A few well placed history books or newspapers near original spawn points would serve my needs nicely.
    • 752 posts
    April 22, 2019 5:26 PM PDT

I would love a short intro movie for the first time you log online with a new character. Just to give a reason why any of us are there. Short background lore video. Then drop us in like eq1 and give an optional tutorial. Don't drop us into tutorialzone_01. Drop us into live zones in a safe spot with a pop-up optional text tutorial. 

• 65 posts
    April 23, 2019 2:00 PM PDT

Im a big fan of just popping in. If you have any backstory at all pop me in with an empty bottle of tequila next to me. Im familiar with starting out confused, not knowing where I am or what to do next under those conditions. Ill adapt quickly.

• 2419 posts
    April 23, 2019 2:18 PM PDT

Kittik said:

Via EQ style = pop here you are

Via Skyrim style = riding in on a back story

Via Original Sin 2 style = back story washed up on a beach

I'm hoping some effort is put in on this and we don't just pop into the world standing in the middle of Town.  Even waking up in a tavern room with a note in our inventory would be better than that.

Really?  A backstory for every race/class combo available in the game?  That is a lot of resource allocation, development time and money for something you will spend just a few minutes experiencing then immediately dismiss it.  And do not force me to sit through it every time like when making new race/class combos ala Skyrim either..give me the option to skip all that garbage.

This worked for Skyrim because everyone started that game in the exact same 'position' which was not true of EQ or Original Sin.

• 1428 posts
    April 23, 2019 2:22 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Kittik said:

Via EQ style = pop here you are

Via Skyrim style = riding in on a back story

Via Original Sin 2 style = back story washed up on a beach

I'm hoping some effort is put in on this and we don't just pop into the world standing in the middle of Town.  Even waking up in a tavern room with a note in our inventory would be better than that.

Really?  A backstory for every race/class combo available in the game?  That is a lot of resource allocation, development time and money for something you will spend just a few minutes experiencing then immediately dismiss it.  And do not force me to sit through it every time like when making new race/class combos ala Skyrim either..give me the option to skip all that garbage.

This worked for Skyrim because everyone started that game in the exact same 'position' which was not true of EQ or Original Sin.

you know, i use to be an adventurer like you, until i took an arrow to the knee.  now i roam these forums.