Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Tutorial

• 1785 posts
    April 20, 2019 3:50 PM PDT

From a tutorial (ie, how to play) perspective only, I'm a fan of the way that EQ did it when it launched.  There was a tutorial that taught you to move, to fight, to talk to an NPC.  It was not your play character.

Having something like that makes sense for first-timers or people who might just want to doublecheck that they understand the control scheme.  The vast majority of players are going to be coming in with some MMO (or at least CRPG) experience, and so many people will want to just skip the tutorial.  They should be able to.

Please note, I am talking only about a mechanical tutorial here.  This should not be confused or conflated with an introduction to the lore and backstory of your race and the world.  That is a completely separate topic which seems to have it's own thread right now :)

• 1095 posts
    April 20, 2019 3:51 PM PDT

Tutorial = Ask someone else

But since there will be progeny and if there is a central noob zone like EQ2, people who progeny will be able to help new players. 

This post was edited by Aich at April 20, 2019 3:55 PM PDT
    • 1033 posts
    April 21, 2019 10:06 AM PDT

Nephele said:

From a tutorial (ie, how to play) perspective only, I'm a fan of the way that EQ did it when it launched.  There was a tutorial that taught you to move, to fight, to talk to an NPC.  It was not your play character.

Having something like that makes sense for first-timers or people who might just want to doublecheck that they understand the control scheme.  The vast majority of players are going to be coming in with some MMO (or at least CRPG) experience, and so many people will want to just skip the tutorial.  They should be able to.

Please note, I am talking only about a mechanical tutorial here.  This should not be confused or conflated with an introduction to the lore and backstory of your race and the world.  That is a completely separate topic which seems to have it's own thread right now :)

Agreed Nephele.

A tutorial should be on basic interaction, not hints, directions on how to best play, or various concepts. This is up to the player to discover.

• 520 posts
    April 21, 2019 10:21 AM PDT

Obviously - tutorial is for introduction purposes and have nothing to do with hand-holding through the adventure which should be avoided at all times.