Forums » Expansion Classes

Occultist

• 546 posts
    April 13, 2019 10:55 AM PDT

What I very much miss in this game is proper debuffer - that weakens foes in every aspect, "melts" them with dots and saps/drain their life away (ideally with the raw dmg type, that doesn't deal huge dmg but bypasses all defences). Shamans have some debuff abilities (though they are the hybrid class of healer, buffer and debuffer - not a proper "hexer") and dire lords have some "hp stealing" abilities (which is awsome melee alternative, though hardly enough to "appease" ranged casters ;-) ). Personally I always enjoyed classes that expose their foes vulnerabilities a lot more that those that strenghtens their allies. And as the ranged caster maniac  this is what i dream for ;)

PS: The game that can give anyone the nice class and abilities ideas is my favourite roguelike Tales of Maj'Eyal - so feel free to check out their wiki (i hope i don't break any forum rule by mentioning the game - if so just say so and i'll edit the post).

This post was edited by Hegenox at April 13, 2019 11:02 AM PDT
    • 12 posts
    April 20, 2019 10:34 PM PDT

Personally, I couldn’t agree more.

I feel like there could very effectively be a class that focuses on cursing/debuff. I also think this class would actually fit within the ”quaternity” under crowd control. It would be a non-traditional form of crowd control. Most people tend to think of CC as only mez/charm but hex/curse/debuff is totally another form of that. 

In fact, in EQ1 there were certain camps that nearly required the use of a Shaman or Enchanter JUST for slowing the mob, which is specifically a debuff and not a crowd control in the traditional sense. 

The problem I see is that games/devs normally just smash this debuff “job” into other classes. Such as Shaman, Necromancer, or a random 1-2 spells in another class. I personally see it as a HUGE missed opportunity. 

I could also see Visionary Realms placing the Necromancer into this role really well. I would myself like to see a Necro that is more focused. Focused on debuffing/cursing/control, utility and summoning undead/spirits, rather than a major major dps class. I LOVE how OP Necromancer can be in most games because its very fun to play until it is nerfed. But I wouldn’t see it as much of a stretch for the Necromancer to become fully plugged into the Crowd Control quaternity role as a pet class VS being put in the DPS quaternity role. Why not make Necromancer have lower dmg but keep their usefulness and diversity super high? The utility of pets, mob control, life taps, hugely devastating curses that impact an enemy’s ability to fight. If done well, IMO Necro will be insanely good by just doing those things without needing to be a DPS god on top of it. 

Good post though, definitely got me thinking about the need for a class that is CC but focuses more on controlling the mob’s abilities, power, strength, etc. Rather than only classes that mez the mob to control it. Sure Mez is a surefire way to eliminate damage altogether but that doesn’t mean a well played cursing class couldn’t be just as effective in many groups. 

• 546 posts
    April 20, 2019 11:34 PM PDT

As for necro - for me it's pretty much hybrid class - summoner, dps, cc in one go with its strenghts frequently balanced(ie it's not more summoner than it is cc or dps).

Mez is obviously awsome, however some mobs are mezz resistant, which is great place for debuffer to come in. Even bosses should be cursable - some maybe to certain degree - eg with 20-50% of curses full strength. Besides mez provides safety while some curses can speed up the process of eliminating enemies.

• 86 posts
    February 17, 2020 12:42 PM PST
    A strong debuffer with some crowd control would be a blast. I really like support and force multiplier characters. Maybe even give the ability to steal an enemy's buff and give it to an ally. "Occultist" is very flavorful as well. What races do you think should have it?
    • 546 posts
    February 26, 2020 2:26 AM PST

Counterfleche said: A strong debuffer with some crowd control would be a blast. I really like support and force multiplier characters. Maybe even give the ability to steal an enemy's buff and give it to an ally. "Occultist" is very flavorful as well. What races do you think should have it?

Well I think this class would go well with Gnomes, Elves, Skar, Dark Myr and Archai (plus Humans).