Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

You walk into an inn/tavern, what do you want to see?

• 90 posts
    April 13, 2019 7:58 AM PDT
    Some basic mini games such as Chess mentioned above, and allowing for wagers.
    I think adding in some easily coded card games, dice games, and other fantasy betting fare would add even more to the feeling of a community hub.

Not only is it a place to rest and congregate, but you can win/lose a few coins to your fellow players while you wait for a group.Or you don't have much time for anything but a quick game of cards or dice.

Lots of interesting ideas, but with it being such a small development team, I'd be surprised to see this kind of depth at launch. These seemingly minor things can eat up a lot of time and resources.
    • 372 posts
    April 13, 2019 10:40 AM PDT

People sitting down. Many chairs.

• 646 posts
    April 13, 2019 4:56 PM PDT

Tigersin said:

People sitting down. Many chairs.

The ability to sit properly in said chairs (and any flat surface that could be used as a chair)

• 947 posts
    April 13, 2019 5:10 PM PDT

I wouldn't mind seeing some patrons reacting according to my standing/faction with areas from outside of the town I happen to be in.  i.e. If I kill bandits of the xyz gang, and some of the patrons in the bar happen to be from that gang, I'd like to see/hear some kind of negative feedback to my actions (even if it is repeated every time I enter, it would be cool if it changed according to my standing with that particular faction).  Perhaps there could be perception quests based on factions in every tavern/bar - I think that would promote players entering taverns in every town throughout the lifetime of the game since their faction will likely be constantly changing.  add:  Not to mention this would be in line with the iconic DnD heros going to the local tavern to find a lead for their next adventure.

This post was edited by Darch at April 13, 2019 5:13 PM PDT
    • 10 posts
    April 14, 2019 11:11 PM PDT

I agree with the folks who have suggested time of day; tavern size, type, location; etc. as a modifier to what should be in a tavern.

I apologize if someone suggested some of these things, but I missed it. 

GOSSIP and RUMOURS!  Regardless of their importance in the scheme of things, NPCs in taverns and inns should be full of gossip - especially if you buy them a drink.  This might include clues on what to look for on the road, locally, etc depending on whether the NPC was a traveller or local.  NPCs might also react differently if you bought JUST them a drink, or bought a round of celebration for the whole tavern!

GAMBLING GAMES - a chance encounter in an inn which could end in any number of scenarios depending on how much the player wins or loses.

RANDOM ENCOUNTERS - both positive and negative for the player and/or party. 

For example:

• Group of assasins planning to kill a prominent town official
    • Comely wench who tries to entice a player to follow her so her boyfriend can rob him.
    • Well spoken stranger that tells players about a great treasure (actually enticing them into a trap to use them as sacrifices to his evil deity)
    • "fugitive" NPC that approaches player to hide or protect him from ______
    • Group of adventurers near fire having a conversation you overhear about a new area (could be used with disposition when you moved close enough)
    • A person who claims that someone has kidnapped a member of their family.  They are looking for an adventurer to rescue them.
    • Someone who wants you to help them steal a VERY worthwhile prize!

There are tons of scenarios.  It would be nice if these were triggered by time of day or somewhat randomly.  It gives a reason for the player to visit the taverns and inns in an area to listen for rumors and gossip as well an new opportunities.

This post was edited by oldgamerbroad at April 15, 2019 1:09 AM PDT
    • 221 posts
    April 17, 2019 1:26 PM PDT

Hey gang!  Loving the vibes in this thread.  It's a bit too soon to speak on publicly...but I hear you!  Lots of goodness to be desired in this realm. We need our players to want to hang in the town and come back regularly.  Right!? I look forward to engaging you all on these things in the future. I have a lot of thoughts/ideas on all this.  

P.S.  We totally missed the Design a Tavern game pledge by a Newsletter?

P.P.S.  I've designed a few tavern games way back in my early days.. I will not rest until they are in game=P

This post was edited by Convo at April 17, 2019 1:31 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    April 17, 2019 1:35 PM PDT

Nice to see Convo bellying up to the bar :)

• 372 posts
    April 17, 2019 1:44 PM PDT

Manouk said:

Cheers!  I hope we don't get inn to a pun war or they may not let us hang a round.

• 221 posts
    April 17, 2019 1:46 PM PDT

Tigersin said:

Manouk said:

Cheers!  I hope we don't get inn to a pun war or they may not let us hang a round.

haha love it.  we do puns internally and they are always a good lol

• 37 posts
    April 18, 2019 8:44 AM PDT

EppE said:

It needs to have NPCs that do more than just stand there. I'm not looking for some sort of Dragon Age scripting in a tavern but to contrast the extreme to EQ there were bars, and buildings, that were completely empty. If you create a structure it should have a purpose, other than one obsecure quest turn in you do once and never return.

One of the things I liked in PoP of EQ is as you approached bars in PoK the audio changed. You could hear people talking, glasses moving, etc. It added. I'd like to see some pathing of NPCs in the bar. Mini games would be great, it doesn't even need to be complicated. 

I think an EXP/rested bonus is a good idea. It would do more than just have people congregate at the bars. If you're on the far side of the world camped outside a dungeon, at the end of your play session you'd need to decide. Is it worth going all the way back to town, then having to come back here next time I log on, for that rested exp; or should I just stay so its convienent. 

i am happy with it even if they just copy & paste the bar / tarvern from eq1, npc standing here like an idiot , which is fine, that empty hollow bar gives me that kind of chill & atmopshere 

god iplz just release the game already 

• 372 posts
    April 20, 2019 8:39 AM PDT

Convo, I was thinking about egg hunts and hiding things this weekend and, naturally, my mind wandered to Taverns in Pantheon.

What if the tables in the tavern had a storage space? People could add money or items to the tables. For purposes like gambling, trading, secret deliveries. Hell, we could even have events like hunts for hidden items in taverns. Who cares if someone can steal items from the table in the middle of a game or event?  Now thieves have something to look forward to as well. There is potential for many uses, fair or foul. 

Of course if this could be done for tables in taverns, it might be done for all tables. 

• 520 posts
    April 20, 2019 8:50 AM PDT

For me the most important thing in taverns are bards - perhaps travelling from town to town, with some universal songs and some unique ballads "of their own" - with great quality to them. Plus taverns should feel joyful and lively. Good thing would be storytellers - speaking about the dragons, heroic deeds of the legends and such , though as the game won't be voice acted it doesn't matter that much.

• 91 posts
    April 21, 2019 11:29 PM PDT
    So many times these areas appear boring and mundane because no one is actually coming there to hang out. Make it am exploratory experience. Old rpg’s you went and talked to lots of people to find quests in the inn or other areas of town. Why not just get rid of the clues like a giant feather over the key npc’s head.
    And don't keep the key npcs in the same spot all the time. Make us pay a little attention to the environment...the details will make it more interesting
    • 520 posts
    April 21, 2019 11:47 PM PDT

Baerr said: So many times these areas appear boring and mundane because no one is actually coming there to hang out. Make it am exploratory experience. Old rpg’s you went and talked to lots of people to find quests in the inn or other areas of town. Why not just get rid of the clues like a giant feather over the key npc’s head. And don't keep the key npcs in the same spot all the time. Make us pay a little attention to the environment...the details will make it more interesting

There won't be any kind of markers simplyfying the game.

• 91 posts
    April 22, 2019 12:17 AM PDT
    Sweet! Bards, you say? Would it be too much to ask to have the people comment on current events? Maybe songs of heroic deeds of that dungeon we just wiped out?
    • 65 posts
    April 24, 2019 7:41 AM PDT

Elven strippers.

That is all.

• 257 posts
    April 24, 2019 10:56 AM PDT
    • 334 posts
    April 24, 2019 2:15 PM PDT

I'd like to be able to actually sit down in chairs, drink alcohol, smoke a pipe, play some games with a friend (something simple: dice, checkers, chess, etc). Getting a special rested tavern exp bonus would be cool. Maybe let the bards actually play a tune or two.

• 16 posts
    June 3, 2019 4:21 PM PDT

I would like to see an opportunity for player-made consumables to be sold within the tavern walls. For example, I make a couple of dozen Tankards of Liquid Strength (Temporary STR boost with stumbling drunk vision) and in my downtime hop behind the bar and sell my drinkable/edible wares. Turn the inn into a market for consumables, which would put real world players into the mix doing transactions. I prefer including as much player-to-player interaction as possible.

• 752 posts
    June 3, 2019 5:54 PM PDT
    Loose lips sink ships.
    • 116 posts
    June 4, 2019 12:51 PM PDT
    Given the Disposition system and the synergy that could result from interacting with the Perception system... I imagine Taverns could be some very interesting places to hang.
    • 172 posts
    June 5, 2019 6:05 AM PDT

An old codger sitting at the bar having too many drinks; he used to be an adventurer.  Tells you to buzz off if you talk to him at level 1.  But if you approach him later, at a much higher level, he tells you tales of adventure and granduer.  Then sends you on a quest for armor that was lost so long ago it can only be called a myth anymore.

This post was edited by Aayden at June 5, 2019 6:43 AM PDT
    • 245 posts
    June 5, 2019 7:32 AM PDT
    Some atmosphere from NPCs in taverns would be great, drinking, background chatter and music.

But most of it should come from players.

This could be accomplished in a similar way to what made Cantinas so popular in Star Wars Galaxies.

Provide some kind of bonus to players afte rthey have stayed in a tavern for 10-15 minutes.

Small XP boost for 30 mins. With a light hp and mana regen.

This could be further enhanced in the future by granting an extra buff if you stay in a tavern while a player Bard is playing some music.

The 30 min buff could get a small run speed, HP and AC buff in addition or something similar.

Not ever enough to replace a class or a need for grouping, but something decent enough that a solo adventurer would bother to want to sit in the tavern before going out.

Or enough that 2-6 players would also want to do the same, then taverns could easily become one of the meeting points where people form up groups before heading out.
    • 145 posts
    June 5, 2019 8:25 AM PDT

I think it would be interesting if you were able to have some ale in the tavern and the people around would tell stories that led to quests. Some could be long and tedious others easy and less rewarded. But hearing them tell stories and drinking ale with them and getting to understand their story then going on the adventure yourself would be kind of neat.

Could have a man in there with a peg leg talking about the kraken he seen just off the coast and how it brought down his boat while he was searching for treasure and a group of mermaids nursed him back to health. The possibilities are endless in a way.

• 23 posts
    June 5, 2019 8:44 AM PDT

there sould be a black cat wondering around giving you a hint to a securet door or passage way in the tavern