Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

You walk into an inn/tavern, what do you want to see?

• 233 posts
    April 12, 2019 1:40 AM PDT

I want to see people laughing and drinking.
    Dependig on the location i want to see completely different NPCs and also returning customers.
    I want to see sleaze and debauchery, a feeling of danger.
    random (but never exclusive quests) that pop up depending on who is in that night.
    Fun mini games, arm wrestling, brawl clubs, drinking games etc.

If i enter an inn and its just 3-4 npcs standing or sitting in silence with some basic ambience in the background, i will be very disapointed.

• 62 posts
    April 12, 2019 3:03 AM PDT

sure would be nice but are they must haves? people seem to forget this is a small team and they have to be very focused on where they put their resources to work.

• 156 posts
    April 12, 2019 3:10 AM PDT

Give taverns a small bonus for people that 'rest' there for 15 minutes or more (XP bonus, Healing bonus, Whatever bonus) and players will congregate there. Add in a bar to buys basics, some mini-games (if easily coded) and a unique ambience depending on city, and you're good to go.

• 1 posts
    April 12, 2019 5:46 AM PDT

Sleaze is nice, but we don't want another Goldshire Inn scenario.  I never thought of myself to be the Puritan, but if inns become overrun with horny 15-year-olds who are just looking for ERP, nobody older will want to visit the inn.  I recommend mini-games (arm-wrestle the tough guy at the table, flirt with the bartender, etc.) to keep people occupied with in-game activities.

• 233 posts
    April 12, 2019 6:07 AM PDT

zaktaros said:

sure would be nice but are they must haves? people seem to forget this is a small team and they have to be very focused on where they put their resources to work.

No MMO as far as im aware has done anything to make inns feel real, pantheon could be the first.
    Its also a must for longevity.

• 233 posts
    April 12, 2019 6:09 AM PDT

Cilure said:

Sleaze is nice, but we don't want another Goldshire Inn scenario.  I never thought of myself to be the Puritan, but if inns become overrun with horny 15-year-olds who are just looking for ERP, nobody older will want to visit the inn.  I recommend mini-games (arm-wrestle the tough guy at the table, flirt with the bartender, etc.) to keep people occupied with in-game activities.

I can't stand fools acting stupid probably more than anyone.
    This real life behavior i want from the npcs, the game should be a teen rating atleast.
    Adult themed things happen at taverns, doesnt mean i want npcs shaging and be naked and stuff.
    Maybe i used the word sleaze wrong, i just mean danger, unease and abit of debauchery.

This post was edited by Grimseethe at April 25, 2019 2:55 AM PDT
    • 233 posts
    April 12, 2019 6:10 AM PDT

Umbra said:

Give taverns a small bonus for people that 'rest' there for 15 minutes or more (XP bonus, Healing bonus, Whatever bonus) and players will congregate there. Add in a bar to buys basics, some mini-games (if easily coded) and a unique ambience depending on city, and you're good to go.

Thats every inn from any MMO, dont you want more?

• 153 posts
    April 12, 2019 6:27 AM PDT

a bard playing great tavern songs

• 370 posts
    April 12, 2019 6:39 AM PDT

It needs to have NPCs that do more than just stand there. I'm not looking for some sort of Dragon Age scripting in a tavern but to contrast the extreme to EQ there were bars, and buildings, that were completely empty. If you create a structure it should have a purpose, other than one obsecure quest turn in you do once and never return.

One of the things I liked in PoP of EQ is as you approached bars in PoK the audio changed. You could hear people talking, glasses moving, etc. It added. I'd like to see some pathing of NPCs in the bar. Mini games would be great, it doesn't even need to be complicated. 

I think an EXP/rested bonus is a good idea. It would do more than just have people congregate at the bars. If you're on the far side of the world camped outside a dungeon, at the end of your play session you'd need to decide. Is it worth going all the way back to town, then having to come back here next time I log on, for that rested exp; or should I just stay so its convienent. 

• 233 posts
    April 12, 2019 8:00 AM PDT

EppE said:

It needs to have NPCs that do more than just stand there. I'm not looking for some sort of Dragon Age scripting in a tavern but to contrast the extreme to EQ there were bars, and buildings, that were completely empty. If you create a structure it should have a purpose, other than one obsecure quest turn in you do once and never return.

One of the things I liked in PoP of EQ is as you approached bars in PoK the audio changed. You could hear people talking, glasses moving, etc. It added. I'd like to see some pathing of NPCs in the bar. Mini games would be great, it doesn't even need to be complicated. 

I think an EXP/rested bonus is a good idea. It would do more than just have people congregate at the bars. If you're on the far side of the world camped outside a dungeon, at the end of your play session you'd need to decide. Is it worth going all the way back to town, then having to come back here next time I log on, for that rested exp; or should I just stay so its convienent. 

The thing is i dont want ambience soundtrack, i want just  to be real noises, if people are talking they should be talking.

• 3852 posts
    April 12, 2019 8:18 AM PDT

I agree with Zaktaros - this is not one of the 100 highest priorities - and chances are that what you consider highly desirable other people will consider terrible - and vice versa.

• 1428 posts
    April 12, 2019 8:51 AM PDT

i want to see a barkeep, a bar maid, an innkeeper, a maid and a guard that talks all the time about how he enjoys one shotting negative karma pvpers walking into the town.  oh wait thats 5 npcs.

• 1428 posts
    April 12, 2019 8:52 AM PDT

Grimseethe said:

EppE said:

The thing is i dont want ambience soundtrack, i want just  to be real noises, if people are talking they should be talking.

dynamic layered music!  take nier automata for example!

• 28 posts
    April 12, 2019 9:46 AM PDT

The idea of going ot an Inn to find some adventure (quests) is as old as paper D&D.  I like that idea alot.  And while I'm not a fan of instancing, I think an Inn could be a logical exception.  You don't need to have everyone and their sister crowded into one building to get a quest or relax.  It just puts to much on the server and causes lag and such.  Instancing this could work fine if they allow you to change instances so you can meet up with friends, etc.

For looks, they can vary depending on the setting.  From it being empty except for the barkeep, to being full of drunken patrons wanting to start a fight.  High class, to low class.  Lots of range on what could be done.

Mal

• 413 posts
    April 12, 2019 10:24 AM PDT

I want rumor and heresay.

I don't want here the same conversations on a loop every 3 minutes. It should take a week before i here the same thing twice.  

Maybe hard to do, but the NPCs in the tavern should have modifiers to account for "time of season" and what classes and races are in the tavern.

Maybe I want to wait for a particular NPC to viist the tavern.  Maybe I can give them some drinks, and it losen's their tongue.

I want the experience to be interactive, where player actions in the tavern alter the heresay.

What is 2 players decide to duel, could this trigger new dialog from the NPCs, stuff like that.

• 15 posts
    April 12, 2019 10:47 AM PDT

Gambling of some type. Card games, of this world or a new type invented in game, just some sort of wager-able table game.

• 257 posts
    April 12, 2019 11:00 AM PDT

I'd like to see an npc waiter/waitress pathing around like s/he is working. I'd like to see the bartender pathing from one end of the bar to the other on occasion. When you hail the npc's I'd like flavored text response depending on your faction rating. I'd like to see the bar open/closed during reasonable hours. Having an npc path to "open" or "close" the bar would be a plus.

Edit:

Convo -- Was wondering if you could make a post about some plans/ ideas about city life

Daytime/ Night time

Sounds/ Lighting during the cycles

Differences in NPC behavior (ex: Guards are nice and helpful during the day, slightly hostile/suspicious at night)

Also (besides a tavern) will there be a couple hotspots at night to show some life to the city?

This post was edited by Retsof at April 12, 2019 11:24 AM PDT
    • 1785 posts
    April 12, 2019 11:24 AM PDT

My thoughts:

1) I'd like to see an NPC population in the inn/tavern.  It shouldn't be empty except for the inkeep.  Bonus points if the NPCs around town are set up where they visit the tavern in the evening before heading home for the night, or anythign that helps them feel more like real entities rather than just props.

2) I'd like to see a real gameplay reason for players to visit taverns and inns from time to time.  Whether it's a place to pick up rumors on dynamically-generated content, or to find out about the things people need help with, a bounty hunting board showing the biggest bads out in the wilderness this week, or even just because there's some minigames you can play while you're looking for a group or something.

3) I'd like to see lots of support for social play and roleplay.  There should be a stage that bards can perform on (or for that skar in the corner to do his standup routine), interactable furniture, and so on.  Make it a space players can use too.

Final thought:  All of the above should apply to every NPC building in a town/city.  Whether it be a church, a town hall, a market, a blacksmith, a stable - make it a place that matters both to players and to NPCs.

• 90 posts
    April 12, 2019 1:29 PM PDT

Grimseethe said:

Cilure said:

I can't stand fools acting stupid probably more than anyone.
    This real life behavior i was from the npcs, the game should be a teen rating atleast.
    Adult themed things happen at taverns, doesnt mean i want npcs shaging and be naked and stuff.
    Maybe i used the word sleaze wrong, i just mean danger, unease and abit of debauchery.

Like a barbarian giving the serving wench a good smack on the butt. Maybe confronting him starts a quest, maybe killing him starts another, or just letting it go can lead to even another quest. 

In another tavern somewhere a real sultry popular serving lady with huge tracks of land tries to seduce the PCs and depending on your reaction is the quest you are lead down. 

• 2138 posts
    April 12, 2019 1:43 PM PDT

I would like to see NPC interaction relative to bar size.

Small bar: maybe the interaction is between the barkeep and me alone by the barkeep acknowledging my pressence, or the one other patron in the smallbar sizing me up. horrid snacks only (think, pickled things that look really good when drunk). 5-6 ales and wine, mostly inexpensive. danger:not a place for strangers. only locals know this place.

Medium size bar: I walk in to interaction already happening between  working class NPC's and I can choose to eavesdrop or interrupt. maybe there is a table where a game can be played. less horrid but better smelling appetizing snacks like an open pot of chili that gets stirred occasionally so the skin doesn't set, chalk board with 2 sandwich choices. 2 nice ales on tap, 5-6 ales and wine inexpensive. danger: flashing alot of cash may draw undue attention outside. 

Medium to large bar: intraction between merchant class  NPC's and off-duty common guards 1 waiter/waitress. chalk board menu with special of the day, and 3 other choices. full bar. 2 imports, 3 exotics on tap. 8-10 nice ales and wines. 2-3 tables were there are often NPC driven games. Corner stage for one performer. danger:Think the song "Spanish moon" from Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus.

Large bar: interaction between all levels of NPC's, lots of citizens coming and going, this is a "night out" 2 owners, 2 waiters/waitress, 4 tables, one of which is a dedicated gaming table with NPC minimum buy in to sit at table (that also serves), some  RP booths along the wall. right click on waiter/waitress to order 6-8 menu choices or 10-15 drink choices plus 5 deserts, all with small stat bonus's. danger Once you order you get attention from NPC owners like a reverse perception.  Ego's are high, high ranking officers/merchants may be dispositioned to be more hatefull/likeable to your race or class based on owners attention. This is where the "easy" job turns out to be a nightmare, or the "investment"  could turn out to be a con OR where the prince is really truly gratefull for the dwarvitarian aid you delivered to the citizens in the far outpost and names you thane of the 5 provinces with a sigil instantly recognized, and access to special dwarven brew at any bar- even the seedy ones-with a temporary buff when consumed. 

• 127 posts
    April 12, 2019 3:41 PM PDT

I'd like to see inns/taverns used as a starting point for GM events and minor guide interactions.

Also, possibly a place where NPC members of opposing factions can go (on a schedule or randomly) without immediately turning hostile to one another.

• 646 posts
    April 12, 2019 9:02 PM PDT

I want enough taverns that are unpopulated enough that roleplayers can easily make use of them as hubs. :)

• 1281 posts
    April 12, 2019 9:33 PM PDT

I could see inns and taverns being great places to use Perception to pick up on things.

• 156 posts
    April 13, 2019 1:07 AM PDT

Grimseethe said:

Umbra said:

Thats every inn from any MMO, dont you want more?

Nope - the players will bring the rest and I'm hoping every day/week it's something different.

• 413 posts
    April 13, 2019 2:36 AM PDT

Umbra said:

I like the idea of having a few chess boards