Forums » The Ranger

Ranger Epic

• 703 posts
    April 9, 2019 12:12 PM PDT
    Was just thinking on how I am torn on a possible ranger epic weapon.. seeing how class reveal is both melee and ranged would you rather the epic be a ranged or melee? Or both?
    • 81 posts
    April 9, 2019 2:21 PM PDT

Hello fellow rangers...Epic weapons for a class that does both range and melee. I will take three please! Primary secondary and ranged slot...I have no idea what they are going to do, but I am excited to find out. Maybe the will let you choose or perhaps there will be a 1.0 for primary/secondary slot then 1.5 for the ranged slot or vice versus. Who knows 1.0 primary 1.5 secondary 2.0 ranged. Whatever it will be I will be getting this quest done. I hope the epic weapons will last me a lifetime I don’t ever want to see them in my bank or on the wall at my house. They need to requested to become better with each expansion and best in slot always. In my humble opinion.

This post was edited by Soaren at April 9, 2019 2:23 PM PDT
    • 703 posts
    April 9, 2019 3:31 PM PDT

Yea I was thinking of something along those lines as well. For sure it's hard to make an argument for either as I have not been able to try the class as per which would be more meaningful for damage output. I do like that idea of multiple's especially if they did a 1.0 and 1.5 2.0 etc we saw in EQ1. That'd be pretty cool. I just like hearing fellow ranger enthusiasts opinions and ideas even if I wouldn't necessarily agree.

This post was edited by Mordecai at April 9, 2019 3:33 PM PDT
    • 474 posts
    April 10, 2019 7:19 AM PDT

I would like it to be a choice. Maybe a branching quest line that will allow you to choose early on if you'd like to persue a melee weapon or bow. Something of a "test" of might, or a trial quest to prove your worthiness. However they do it, I do believe it should be a choice between a pair of one handers or a bow.

• 299 posts
    April 12, 2019 5:54 PM PDT

Just thinking outside the box....what about an epic quiver/sheath set or convertible item that would allow you to utilize both ranged and melee depending on the need of the group? 

• 703 posts
    April 19, 2019 5:56 PM PDT
    @Therek I enjoy that idea. Reminds me of of Endless Quiver from EQ was an epic item and not just an AA
    • 32 posts
    April 20, 2019 5:19 PM PDT

I say make them make a choice in the quest, one way you get a melee weapon, the other you get a ranged, just make it to where one isn't better than the other, and if they have a special proc or whatever, make it the same for both, so you don't get pigeonholed into having one or the other for specific content.  

• 3 posts
    April 30, 2019 11:46 PM PDT
    Why not have both? (Or 3? main/off hand and a bow) just have tiered or stacked effects?
    • 467 posts
    May 1, 2019 8:36 AM PDT

Both.  A high fantasy weapon resembling a Klingon Bat'Leth with a magic cord allowing it to also be used like a bow.

• 1816 posts
    May 1, 2019 5:09 PM PDT

Both but not at the same time.

If the ranger is expected to be effective jumping in and out of melee, he can't be segregated to an epic beeing either melee, or range only.

However I have poor hopes of a weapon beeing both ranged and twins at the same time, would be awfully designed.

• 608 posts
    January 9, 2020 4:02 PM PST

A single item that is a bow, but when you move into melee range it splits into two swords :-p

• 703 posts
    January 10, 2020 8:23 AM PST
    @Ranarius that’s interesting. Especially considering rangers are to be moving in and out of ranges/melee for max efficiency.
    • 84 posts
    February 20, 2020 9:28 AM PST

I say put the "Range" in Ranger and make it a bow only.

• 634 posts
    February 20, 2020 1:47 PM PST

1st, be aware that in your Pantheon gear panel, you get 2 weapon slots for main/off hand AND a slot for a ranged weapon AND a slot for ammo (which is where you put arrows or shuriken or throwing knives).

So the Ranger doesn't have to remove his swords to pick up a bow. Even better, in one stream it was observed by a streamer that he was holding his swords and targeting a mob out of melee range and when he hit auto-attack the game just automatically equipped his bow and started shooting.

So one item isn't going to work for both ranged and melee (even if you could invent something that was believable for it).

My opinion is that Ranger should have to choose at the start of the Epic Weapon quest which one he wants. I think if they make 2 Epics available for Ranger, we'll have endless calls for multiple varieties of Epics for many other classes as well.

Every class has multiple options for weapons. I don't expect to get both an Epic 2-hander and a couple of Epic 1-handers even though both choices are situationally-optimal for my Dire Lord.

I also think a Tank should have to choose between an Epic shield or an Epic weapon. Not both.

This post was edited by Jothany at February 20, 2020 1:48 PM PST
    • 634 posts
    February 20, 2020 1:52 PM PST

Lakland said:

I say put the "Range" in Ranger and make it a bow only.

Just recently we were told that VR 'intends' for Ranger to be viable as either a total melee char OR a total ranged char.

If that actually holds true until release, I will be looking to make my Ranger an Archer.

• 338 posts
    February 26, 2020 10:26 AM PST

Creating path options for all epics is the way to go. EQOA did this, there were 2 options for every classs epic weapons. Obviously for a Ranger this should be a bow option and a and melee option since the community is so split on the topic.

• 248 posts
    March 9, 2020 1:51 PM PDT

Jothany said:

Just recently we were told that VR 'intends' for Ranger to be viable as either a total melee char OR a total ranged char.

If that actually holds true until release, I will be looking to make my Ranger an Archer.

I missed that, but that's awesome. Do you happen to know what stream or article it was said in?

• 299 posts
    March 9, 2020 1:59 PM PDT

@Gyldervane - It was in the September 2019 Newsletter which is here. https://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_september_burning_questions/

It states: 

Ranger

Will Rangers be viable DPS if they stick to Ranged or Melee combat and don’t weave between the two?

I’ve given this one quite a bit of thought over the past many months, I can say that as of now, the answer to this is yes. Moving forward, the design of the Ranger class will focus on keeping them viable and competitive in DPS both at range and in melee combat, while leveraging their ability to weave between short and long range combat to create situational advantages that they can exploit while maintaining incredibly high mobility.

We’re also reworking the Momentum resource quite a bit to support this playstyle and can’t wait to show it in action!

We haven’t heard much about this since, so I’m curious about this as well. Cheers!

• 634 posts
    March 9, 2020 4:32 PM PDT

Thanks Therek. I didn't remember where I saw it, so lucky you had the answser.

• 248 posts
    March 10, 2020 10:42 PM PDT

Awesome! Thanks, guys.

• 93 posts
    March 14, 2020 2:08 PM PDT
    ((Every class has multiple options for weapons. I don't expect to get both an Epic 2-hander and a couple of Epic 1-handers even though both choices are situationally-optimal for my Dire Lord.))

I don't think this exactly compares with a Ranger's Bow and dual-wielding. The Ranger is being designed to move between both (although now the focus is making one or the other viable too). The other classes aren't designed to move from their weapon options to my knowledge. More comparable is the Ranger's option of sword/sword, sword/dagger, axe/axe; then possibly longbow versus shortbow or even crossbow.

So the Ranger still is designed to move back and forth, however we have the option to stick with melee or ranged if we want to. If you can have only once epic bow for instance, that now means your melee is gimped in comparison. So now why would I want to flip over to melee and not stay ranged all the time?
    • 634 posts
    March 14, 2020 3:14 PM PDT

Geoffrey said: ((Every class has multiple options for weapons. I don't expect to get both an Epic 2-hander and a couple of Epic 1-handers even though both choices are situationally-optimal for my Dire Lord.)) I don't think this exactly compares with a Ranger's Bow and dual-wielding. The Ranger is being designed to move between both (although now the focus is making one or the other viable too). The other classes aren't designed to move from their weapon options to my knowledge. More comparable is the Ranger's option of sword/sword, sword/dagger, axe/axe; then possibly longbow versus shortbow or even crossbow. So the Ranger still is designed to move back and forth, however we have the option to stick with melee or ranged if we want to. If you can have only once epic bow for instance, that now means your melee is gimped in comparison. So now why would I want to flip over to melee and not stay ranged all the time?

DLs have a passive exclusively for using 1 handers and a different passive for using 2 handers. So clearly the DL is designed to switch between them situationally.

But apart from that argument, describing your melee abilities as 'gimped' because you don't have the absolute best weapon in the game to use is pretty extreme Hyperbole. And more importantly, every single DPS that isn't restricted to a 2-hander can make the exact same claim that not having an epic for both hands 'gimps' them. Every other tank can claim that not having an epic weapon AND an epic shield will gimp them. The Devs want players to make choices with consequenses. Having to choose which Epic you think will help you the most seems like an excellent example of such a choice.

• 93 posts
    March 14, 2020 4:42 PM PDT

Jothany said:

Geoffrey said: ((Every class has multiple options for weapons. I don't expect to get both an Epic 2-hander and a couple of Epic 1-handers even though both choices are situationally-optimal for my Dire Lord.)) I don't think this exactly compares with a Ranger's Bow and dual-wielding. The Ranger is being designed to move between both (although now the focus is making one or the other viable too). The other classes aren't designed to move from their weapon options to my knowledge. More comparable is the Ranger's option of sword/sword, sword/dagger, axe/axe; then possibly longbow versus shortbow or even crossbow. So the Ranger still is designed to move back and forth, however we have the option to stick with melee or ranged if we want to. If you can have only once epic bow for instance, that now means your melee is gimped in comparison. So now why would I want to flip over to melee and not stay ranged all the time?

DLs have a passive exclusively for using 1 handers and a different passive for using 2 handers. So clearly the DL is designed to switch between them situationally.

But apart from that argument, describing your melee abilities as 'gimped' because you don't have the absolute best weapon in the game to use is pretty extreme Hyperbole. And more importantly, every single DPS that isn't restricted to a 2-hander can make the exact same claim that not having an epic for both hands 'gimps' them. Every other tank can claim that not having an epic weapon AND an epic shield will gimp them. The Devs want players to make choices with consequenses. Having to choose which Epic you think will help you the most seems like an excellent example of such a choice.

Again my opinion is that doesn't exactly compare with the Ranger's design to switch back and forth in combat.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot go into your inventory to switch weapons when you are engaged in combat (switch from a 1-handed to 2-handed), so this is more of a pre-battle preparation more akin to choosing to wear plate instead of mail.  In addition, the Ranger's abilities include both ranged and melee.  Does the Dire Lord have separate 1-handed and 2-handed abilities?  If not, then picking a 2-handed epic instead of 1-handed for the Dire Lord does not result in ability damage or auto-attack damage being made without an epic weapon (and the rest of the classes for that matter).  Picking an epic bow instead of an epic sword on the Ranger does.

Regarding "an epic for both hands," main-hand/off-hand is not the same as melee/ranged.  A melee Ranger would be subject to the same restriction as you put for the other DPS that aren't restricted to 2-handers: an epic in the main-hand and a regular in the off-hand.  I can understand the tank and shield argument, however.  I'm not against choices with consequences, however my point is this appears to affect the Ranger a bit more than other classes.  This very well could just be something the Ranger has to deal with for having the extra capability of ranged and melee, and I could accept that.

• 634 posts
    March 14, 2020 5:47 PM PDT

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot go into your inventory to switch weapons when you are engaged in combat"

I've seen players loot while in combat. I haven't seen anyone try to swap out weapons during combat. I don't really know if it is possible at the present, or if that is a 'firm' decision either way. We'll have to wait and see.

I truly believe that with all the various gear stats and attribute points available for a player to wield strategically, the loss of a 2nd Epic weapon to a Ranger will be trivial overall. (and yes I plan to play one)

I also believe that if Ranger is the only class that gets to have 2 Epics equipped at the same time in combat, that it will lead to a great deal of complaining from players of other classes. Whether their complaints have merit or not. I don't believe the conflict it would cause is worth the gain to Rangers.

(but if it is, and they allow it, I'll certainly get them both for my Ranger)

And if I have to pick just one, I'll pick the Epic bow. For the reason that I expect there will be a much larger variety of really good melee weapons to choose from -what with quests and crafting- than there will likely be of equivalent quality bows/crossbows.

• 93 posts
    March 15, 2020 7:08 AM PDT

For sure any inequality, even perception of, will always lead to complaints.  If I had to pick one, it would be an epic bow as well.  

Also that makes me wonder about a summoner's potential dilemma: epic weapon/shield for the character versus an epic for their summon.