Forums » Support

When is/was the Alpha Test?

    • 6 posts
    April 7, 2019 1:40 PM PDT

    I couldn't find the answer to this question through search or even google, so please forgive me if this is the 100+ time this has been asked.

    I am/was trying to get my buddy and I into the Alpha (not pre-alpha) & Beta, via the Pathfinder's Pledge, of this game as he is a huge veteran EQ player and I dipped into it very briefly with him when we were in highschool.

    So When is/was the Alpha Test? The Pledge Page should've have indicated that Alpha is over if it indeed has been completed; which is why im inquiring. If we missed it, thats fine, we are satisfied with our pledge to make sure this game comes out and breaks the ground.

    Thanks in advance.

    • 256 posts
    April 7, 2019 2:22 PM PDT

    The game is still in Pre-Alpha. No date has been set as far as I know for when Alpha will start.

    • 872 posts
    April 7, 2019 4:12 PM PDT

    Alpha is still a ways off. Starting last summer they began working on a new method of designing zones and are going to be revisting everything they have done to bring it up to this new standard of design. They are also developing major systems for the game at this time (crafting/atmosphere/perception/quest/etc). Alpha likely will not start until all major systems are finished being designed and are implimented in some way.

    Based on the slow but steady rate of progression we've seen I imagine alpha won't start until sometime in 2020 with beta being late 2020


    This post was edited by bigdogchris at April 7, 2019 4:13 PM PDT
    • 6 posts
    April 7, 2019 4:14 PM PDT

    Ok thats great to hear. I prefer them to go slow and steady. Glad we didnt miss anything.

    Thank you both!

    • 2508 posts
    April 7, 2019 5:40 PM PDT

    For what it is worth - they have said that the meaning of their terminology has shifted with some of the changes in how they are developing the game now. 

    I believe they were rather specific in saying that what they call alpha is the equivilent of what many people in game development historically call beta. Assuming this holds up it means that when alpha hits we may not be *quite* as far from release as many of us fear. With all due respect to VR this is not something I would bet on - but at least it remains *possible*.

    • 762 posts
    April 8, 2019 3:04 PM PDT

    dorotea said:

    For what it is worth - they have said that the meaning of their terminology has shifted with some of the changes in how they are developing the game now. 

    I believe they were rather specific in saying that what they call alpha is the equivilent of what many people in game development historically call beta. Assuming this holds up it means that when alpha hits we may not be *quite* as far from release as many of us fear. With all due respect to VR this is not something I would bet on - but at least it remains *possible*.

    Thats not what i was told when i got the Knights pledge some years ago. Where are you getting this information?

    • 468 posts
    April 8, 2019 8:30 PM PDT

    Crazzie said:

    Thats not what i was told when i got the Knights pledge some years ago. Where are you getting this information?

    Dortea is correct though I can't recall off the top of my head where it was said (though I "think" it may have been the previous developer round table video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-IxcCNNBw&t=227s). But what was said is, paraphrasing here, that the alpha, which will include work from Project Faerthal, would be closer to what you would consider a beta than an alpha. Presumably because Project Faerthal itself is meant to be major feature complete with maybe some of the minor stuff left for later. So the testing will help refine and tune the systems rather than implement them a little at the time.

    As always in development, plans are subject to change. All that said though, it simply means they want the Faerthal area to be closer to a beta state when it hits alpha. That doesn't go for the rest of the game.


    This post was edited by Kratuk at April 8, 2019 8:54 PM PDT
    • 4320 posts
    April 15, 2019 6:20 PM PDT

    Crazzie said:

    dorotea said:

    For what it is worth - they have said that the meaning of their terminology has shifted with some of the changes in how they are developing the game now. 

    I believe they were rather specific in saying that what they call alpha is the equivilent of what many people in game development historically call beta. Assuming this holds up it means that when alpha hits we may not be *quite* as far from release as many of us fear. With all due respect to VR this is not something I would bet on - but at least it remains *possible*.

    Thats not what i was told when i got the Knights pledge some years ago. Where are you getting this information?

    Sometimes plans change. That's a natural part of crowdfunded development. Here is a quote from Brad in February 2019:

    "We have decided to make alpha more like what is traditionally early beta.   There are accepted definitions for alpha and beta that are used generally in software development.  Then there are definitions the game industry and community have been using for some time.  We made the decision to veer back towards the more standard (not gaming/mmo world) definitions.  Using the more 'gaming/MMO' definitions pre-alpha is sort of more like alpha, and our alpha and beta like one really long beta (which we've consistently said we've wanted since the game's inception).  That said, we don't want to lock ourselves into any definitions or pre-conceived notions of where we say we are at and where you guys think we're at -- it's just not realistic to go into too much detail.  That's why we don't get into too much detail most of the time and definitely why we stay away from dates (except for a few slip ups).  It's imperative regardless that we try to manage expectations as best as we can."

    Here are a couple of videos I made on the topic to help shed some more light on the context:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWoEXiM4laA

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJdZm8N8XpU