Forums » General Support

Alpha a smoking mirror?

• 697 posts
    March 24, 2019 2:17 AM PDT

I am concerned that pre alpha is the alpha testing and this was not suppose to be what i understood it to be.

Alpha will it be a 1 week trial then to beta? because that is where my concerns lie. We paid extra to help test the game and push it to beta. But i am starting to wonder if it was a waist of time purchasing this alpha Knights package back in the day.

I am speaking for those that also have spoken out to me, in concern too.

Is pre alpha taking up the majority of the alpha packages? because too me it seems month after month we have a new pre alpha stage.

When and how does VR expect the alpha stages to take hold, and when and how long do we have testing for.

Thanks

• 717 posts
    March 24, 2019 11:51 AM PDT

Typically pre alpha is game systems and tech setup testing

Alpha is content setup and testing

Beta is server load testing and class/game balance test

Open-Beta is server stress testing

Right now VR is still finishing classes, crafting, event systems and atmospheres. I would call that still prealpha though it is looking better at this stage than many prerelease games at least from the streams. This may be due to hand picking zones and adventure paths to show the most coherent picture of game play but if you go around x corner you fall off the map so to speak.

It does feel like alpha is taking a long time to start but Project Faerthale is only one out of 8 home town zones. Thronefast home town area is sort of where all the streams have been to this point. That means likely Alpha will span the creation of the other 6 home zones and most likely a revamp of the Thronefast area to match the formatting of Project Faerthale. There will still be all the high level zones to test as well after the 8 home zones are complete. Hopefully each home zone doesn't take 4 months like Project Faerthale but it may. If thats the case then alpha may still be 2 years long.

I do hear you though and I am also eagerly awaiting the start of alpha so I can start hammering the crafting system.

• 697 posts
    March 24, 2019 2:10 PM PDT

Trasak said:

Typically pre alpha is game systems and tech setup testing

Alpha is content setup and testing

Beta is server load testing and class/game balance test

Open-Beta is server stress testing

Right now VR is still finishing classes, crafting, event systems and atmospheres. I would call that still prealpha though it is looking better at this stage than many prerelease games at least from the streams. This may be due to hand picking zones and adventure paths to show the most coherent picture of game play but if you go around x corner you fall off the map so to speak.

It does feel like alpha is taking a long time to start but Project Faerthale is only one out of 8 home town zones. Thronefast home town area is sort of where all the streams have been to this point. That means likely Alpha will span the creation of the other 6 home zones and most likely a revamp of the Thronefast area to match the formatting of Project Faerthale. There will still be all the high level zones to test as well after the 8 home zones are complete. Hopefully each home zone doesn't take 4 months like Project Faerthale but it may. If thats the case then alpha may still be 2 years long.

I do hear you though and I am also eagerly awaiting the start of alpha so I can start hammering the crafting system.

Yeah i been in many pre alpha testing closed for many years. It is taking way to long, and i am afraid its being blocked by pre alpha with little time for us to test in alpha. But it would be nice to know what VR has to say, many others i am speaking for are concerned too.

• 697 posts
    May 15, 2019 9:07 AM PDT

Since it has been brought up again by Ben, i think the real question is now??

Are you trying to make Alpha a finished product that takes you into Early Access or are you guys trying to make Alpha for testers.

Because right now the way i see things its Pre Alpha doing all the testing.

Old school methods or new venture alpha.....