Forums » The Enchanter

Illusion: Target

• 498 posts
    March 14, 2019 5:34 AM PDT

Yea or nay?  What restrictions?  Does size REALLY matter?  I think a spell like this should NOT allow passive abilities.  Opinions?

• 1319 posts
    March 14, 2019 7:03 AM PDT

Only faction modifiers for me.

It's an illusion not a metamorphosis.

• 498 posts
    March 14, 2019 10:42 AM PDT

For this particular spell I would agree.  Do we even know what the passive abilities for say a squirrel might be?  What about a dragon?  I honestly dont think we should be able to target a giant-class target for this spell.  But hey!  If I wanna walk across a zone as a cow?  Why not?  Other inhibiters should be things like "no-zone", "no-flight", "no-swim" etc.  Now if you are talking about an Enchanter spell to targets themself only and changes their appearence to that of another race?  They SHOULD get passive abilities.  This is only because a good Enchanter would remember to add the things that really sell that illusion.  I will also state that these forms of illusions should not stack.

• 97 posts
    March 15, 2019 6:09 AM PDT

As illusions only make you appear something you are not, it should not have any other benefits than things that are based on appearance, such as faction.

You should never get additional benefits such as anti stun from the ogre / troll. You just appear to your target as something else, but in fact you are not. I can understand that if you would have an illusion 'nightmare' that the target would become very afraid of you and run away. But if that target choose the fight instinct, a punch will be a punch.

• 498 posts
    March 15, 2019 8:05 AM PDT

decarsul said:

As illusions only make you appear something you are not, it should not have any other benefits than things that are based on appearance, such as faction.

You should never get additional benefits such as anti stun from the ogre / troll. You just appear to your target as something else, but in fact you are not. I can understand that if you would have an illusion 'nightmare' that the target would become very afraid of you and run away. But if that target choose the fight instinct, a punch will be a punch.

And this is why intelligent design must play a role.  If a mouse decides to use Illusion Elephant and it does NOT come with an aspect to make him larger, no one would be convinced he was an elephant.  This is the same thing.  If an enchanter cast illusion: Dark Myr it should come with enduring breath.  No one is going to believe that the enchanter is a Dark Myr if they start coughing and drown.  Does illusion: Ogre need to come with stun prevention to be convincing?  I don't think so.  But to be fair, Enchanters have always had a little bit of help in the form of Focus - which helps prevent you from being interupted while casting.  What would be so special about Illusion : Human?  What passive racial ability would be associated with that?  I can't think of one.  So maybe there isn't a passive for THAT illusion.  Every illusion does NOT need to come with passive abilities.  But let's use some common sense and give passives to those illusions that would most certainly require it in order to complete the illusion.

In my opinion, Illusion: Target would be a short-term illusion that may or may not work.  It does NOT have the certainty of dedicated illusions.  Therefore there would be NO passives for this particular illusion spell.  It would also have a steeper curve to the spell-check anything would have when observing you while using this illusion.

This brings me to another question.  Does a spell-break on an illusion break the spell for everyone/everything?  Follow this:  I cast Illusion Target on a wolf.  Now I run up to a farm area.  The cows see me and, being of a lesser mind, begin to behave as they would around a real wolf.  The farmer comes out of the house and sees me but immediately sees that I am really not a wolf.  But does that mean the cows can see that I am really not a wolf?  If one cow detects that I am not a wolf does it mean the whole heard will suddenly realize that I am not a wolf?

• 7 posts
    March 17, 2019 7:40 AM PDT

Enchanter must have illusions with faction modifiers.  Now if there is a shapechanging ability, and I don't think shapechanging is completely unrealistic for an enchanter, then give them abilities.  Druid and Enchanters seem reasonable for shapechanging.

Mal